main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Isnt it strange how old this movie feels already?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by LucasBuiltMeHotRod, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucasBuiltMeHotRod

LucasBuiltMeHotRod Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2002
    Partly due the improvements in CGI, and also to the progression in the storyline from Episode 1 to 2, this movie feels old to me now. Anyone agree?

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I probably shouldn't comment, because I tend to feel old about a lot of things.

Back when TPM came out I was still in high school.

To which I walked uphill in the snow.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. LucasBuiltMeHotRod

Aug 28, 2002
    When TPM came out I was 21. now im 26. ouch!

4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    1999 was a while ago. However, when I watch the movie, it doesn't look old to me.

5. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Highly technological movies tend to look dated quicker. Look at Tron for example. The difference between Tron and TPM is technology wasn't moving as fast during that time, so it took longer to look dated. In this day and age though, technology moves so fast that what was breath-taking three years ago, looks like a cartoon now.

6. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Highly technological movies tend to look dated quicker.

Amen.

One thing that always keeps my special effect gushing in check is to think that as awesome as I think the effects in SW, LotR and other effects-heavy films of today are...

... my children are going to politely chuckle at the quaint old films of yesteryear.

Today's groundbreaking works = old and busted
    Whatever 2025's summer blockbuster will be = new hotness

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. LucasBuiltMeHotRod

Aug 28, 2002
    in 2025 a movies effects wont be cool unless they surround you and punch you in the head.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Which is why I don't think films should put so much stock in effects. I don't really care if they look outdated (ie the OT), I just care about the story :)

But to address the question, yes it seems like forever ago that TPM came out. I was in 7th grade! :eek: Sheesh. I'm a junior now.

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    LOL!!!!! @ LucasBuiltMeHotRod's last post

i've always thought it'd be so cool if in like 25 years or somethin when the technology has improved a lot that they would make movies where you actually are the main character and you are somehow moved throughout the plot... i mean c'mon.. how cool would it be if YOU were the one lightsaber-dueling with Darth Maul?!?!

10. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999
    Yeah, but it would kinda suck if you were Qui-Gon and died, thus being unable to see the rest of the movie... :D

my children are going to politely chuckle at the quaint old films of yesteryear

The same way I poke fun at my parents when they watch old black and white movies where all the townspeople run in terror from fifty-foot ants and spaceships hung on very blatantly visible strings...

:D

11. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Jade's Fire - exactly. You got across what I wanted to say.
    The state of CG today is like a spaceship on a string.

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    yeah what was cutting edge a few years back seems so old now.

13. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Dated effects haven't hurt the effectiveness of the original films and t;hey don't hurt the prequels. It's all about the story, my friends.

14. lorn_zahl

lorn_zahl Jedi Master star 4

Oct 19, 2002
    TPM does seem old!!! I was 15 when it came out and I remember being stunned by the effects, now, well I just fast forward to the DOTF *gasp*

you know you do it too.....

15. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Yeah, it is crazy that it came out four years ago. I was just about to enter high school, now I'm about to enter college. Wild.

In regards to effects becoming dated: Some of the OT's effects have held up remarkably well, for example, the space battle in ROTJ, which looks as good as something done nowadays. So I think that a lot of stuff will still look great in 2025 (this is assuming that the basic technology itself doesn't change, i.e. holograms or things like that).

16. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    It'd be funny if 2025's special effects are stop motion and miniatures on wires. :p

17. SobiFan

SobiFan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2003
    Yes, I remember being wowed by the Obi vs Darth Maul fight. It's pretty cool, but now it looks slow and old-fashioned... weird...

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It does feel old...in a comfy, familiar way :)

19. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Hmm, really? doesn't feel old to me. Well, maybe because I was nine when it came out, so its not like I'm as old as you guys. [face_laugh] 8-}

i've always thought it'd be so cool if in like 25 years or somethin when the technology has improved a lot that they would make movies where you actually are the main character and you are somehow moved throughout the plot... i mean c'mon.. how cool would it be if YOU were the one lightsaber-dueling with Darth Maul?!?!

That would be awesome! :cool: After the duel, could I hug Obi?? [face_shocked] [face_love] I like this idea... And I would seriously kick Darth Maul's butt if that sort of technology were invented. He killed Qui-Gon!! Then again, he is a sith lord. it would be kinda hard to beat him. 8-}

20. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    they would make movies where you actually are the main character and you are somehow moved throughout the plot

Great, that's all we need on these boards.

"This movie had the worst acting in the whole franchise. I was wooden and boring. What was Lucas thinking when he cast me? Also, I found the big war on me to be lackluster and pointless. I did not feel any tension at all when I was nearly killed. And why should I care about this character anyway? I do not feel any emotion for myself, I don't care if I die."

Rick McCallum loves you!

21. LucasBuiltMeHotRod

Aug 28, 2002
    >i've always thought it'd be so cool if in like 25 years or somethin when the technology has improved a lot that they would make movies where you actually are the main character and you are somehow moved throughout the plot<

i thought they DO have that nowadays...theyre called really cool videogames!

the best thing they could do for special effects next is make all that cgi garbage look natural in te movie, like they arent cgi.

22. LucasBuiltMeHotRod

Aug 28, 2002
    >i've always thought it'd be so cool if in like 25 years or somethin when the technology has improved a lot that they would make movies where you actually are the main character and you are somehow moved throughout the plot<

i thought they DO have that nowadays...theyre called really cool videogames!

the best thing they could do for special effects next is make all that cgi garbage look natural in te movie, like they arent cgi.

23. LucasBuiltMeHotRod

Aug 28, 2002
  24. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    It only feels old to me because of the way the actors have grown in AOTC. Take Obi for instance, he looked so young in TPM but in Clones he was much older, wiser, more mature, all those qualities make TPM feel like an older movie in a Timeline sense.

Technology wise, I'd say Clones was obviously an improvement, but nothing too drastic so I can't comment on that aspect of 'old'.

25. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I agree with you, Assassin. GL got lucky with his actors. Look at Natalie, for example. In TPM, she acts like a teenager that is sort of wise beyond her years. In AOTC(which was recorded only 3 years later), she is portraying an adult, 10 years later. It´s awesome!

I don´t think TPM looks dated. It looks as great to me now as it did then. And I never fastforward to DOTF anymore, because I find it much more entertaining to watch the whole thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.