main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Isn't Tatooine supposed to be really *cold*?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Sithman, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yeah, yeah, of course, everyone "knows" that Tatooine is extremely hot because they filmed it in Tunisia where it's extremely warm, but when I watched ANH last time, I noticed something very, very odd.

When 3PO and R2 are walking through the desert after the pod crashed, 3PO says...

"We seem to be made to suffer, it's our lot in life. I've got to rest before I fall apart. My joints are almost frozen. What a desolate place this is."

Now, this struck me as extremely odd. Now I know the desert can get quite cold during the night, but it most certainly wasn't night time-- the sun was just behind some cloud cover.

So, what on earth was 3PO saying here? And is Tatooine actually very cold instead of warm? After all, no one really says anything about it being warm, do they?

:confused:

2. Master_Enkei

Master_Enkei Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2003
    Maybe he meant his joints were locking up from all the walking.

Kinda like when your computer freezes, it doesn't mean it's literally frozen, it just stops. :p

3. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    NOt in the CT, but it is stated in TPM when Padme confronts Anakin on the Naboo cruiser leaving Tatooine. Anakin complains of being cold and she says that he is from a warm planet and space is cold.

4. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    I think Threepio meant that his joints couldn't move, which is another definition of "frozen", i.e. "frozen in place". The sand had gotten into his joints, thus jamming them up. Tatooine is very, very warm during the day (it has got two sunds, after all), but I think it does get pretty cold at night. :)

5. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Actually, he might mean "frozen" in the sense of being "locked up", not very cold. That's how I've always figured it.

But I suppose it can get quite cold in the desert at night, too.

6. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Holy crap, all those replies came in within a minute of each other! 8-}

7. Master_Enkei

Master_Enkei Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2003
    Holy crap, all those replies came in within a minute of each other! :p

But I was first! Muahaha. :D

8. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    you know thats not sand there walking on, it's yellow snow! ;)

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    His joints are frozen because sand was getting in.

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yeah, I always kind of figured it could have meant that they were locking up (or "freezing" like a computer locks up) because of the sand, but don't you think it's just kind of odd for Lucas to choose such language when writing the script?

I dunno, I find it very odd. Personally, I still think it has something to do with the temperature rather than the sand (I mean, honestly, who calls something "frozen" when it doesn't move because there's too much sand in there... I dunno...).

11. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Tatooine is a cold planet indeed! It gets about as cold as a planet with 2 SUNS can get!

*shakes head*

12. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    If you can't see their breath, it probably isn't that cold... ;)

Besides, in order for a joint to freeze, it has to have some sort of lubrication. I can't imagine any kind of oil or grease that would freeze at above zero degrees, and there definately isn't enough water in the air for the joints to freeze that way...

13. Onasi

Onasi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2003
    they dont breath, so you wouldnt be able to see their breath. use common sense. it was like the sahara desert out there. the joints had to be unable to move not "frozen".

14. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Check out Padme in the tight white shirt in some of the Tatooine scenes for proof it's cold. [face_mischief]

Rick McCallum loves you!

15. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Ummm... Luke, Obi-Wan, Owen, Beru, the jawas, the tuskens, and all the other aliens/humans you see DO breathe, right?

16. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I think that's just the air conditioning on her ship, Adam. :p

"Tatooine is a cold planet indeed! It gets about as cold as a planet with 2 SUNS can get!

*shakes head*
    "

The planet Mercury is incredibly hot and it just has one sun. The planet Pluto is incredibly cold and it has the same sun.

Temperature of the planet doesn't depend on how many suns, but of how far away the planets are from the sun and their atmosphere (if they have any). If Pluto had two suns, I doubt it would be much warmer considering how far away it is from them.

17. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    Well, I could be terribly wrong but doesnt it depend on the time of day? If i remember correctly, the suns were setting and it was growing close to dark. Aren't deserts also supposed to be very cold at night?

18. JBRO13

JBRO13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2003
    "Well if there's a bright center to the universe, then you're on the planet that is farthest from."

Though it's not meant like it sounds, this would only further the assumption it was cold.

And yes, Earth's deserts get cold at night, but we have no idea about a fictional planet.

19. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    If you can't see their breath, it probably isn't that cold... ;)

Ummm... Luke, Obi-Wan, Owen, Beru, the jawas, the tuskens, and all the other aliens/humans you see DO breathe, right?

It's a pity you made that latter remark. I really was hoping the former was a sarcastic joke in reference to the fact that droids don't breathe, therefore no matter what the temperature, you will never see their breath. Oh well, maybe next time

::sighs::

~*~The short little french guy loves you~*~

20. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Yes, deserts can be very cold at night.

21. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    it was like the sahara desert out there. the joints had to be unable to move not "frozen".

Quick Geography lesson: Tunisia, where Tatooine is set, is in the middle of the Sahara Desert.

There will a quiz on this tomorrow.

That is all

22. Onasi

Onasi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2003
    yeah, i know, smart @$$

23. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    ""Well if there's a bright center to the universe, then you're on the planet that is farthest from."

Though it's not meant like it sounds, this would only further the assumption it was cold.
    "

Hey! I never thought of that! Yes, yes, that does further the idea that Tatooine is cold. (After all, what I said about Pluto being cold because it's far away from the sun and all.)

Wow, I never noticed that before... Man, 3PO's comment and Luke's comment... I think Tatooine is really cold. ;)

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Quote:

"I mean, honestly, who calls something "frozen" when it doesn't move?" ~Sithman

To borrow a line I am sure you're all familiar with: "Freeze, police."

Ahem.

25. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Oh, Sithy's probably never heard that.

In so many words.

:p ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.