main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Isn't the Eu sort of Weird?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Darth_Ignant, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes there are stryker.

If you read through the EU and your goal isn't to force every single bit of anything into the timeline you notice that there are things out of whack. Before I came to the JCC I didn't really care. I'd read something and if I didn't like it I could hurl it with great force. But since I've got here I'm not allowed to have an opinion unless it matches what LFL tells me to think.
    I'm damn tired of "EU=canon". What the hell ahppened to reading for enjoyment, not out of some bent desire to prove your viewpoint is better then those bastard Movie forumer?

bah.

2. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I read for my enjoyment and never let anyone here dictate what is and what isnt canon to me. I use the rule of personal canon, and , quite honestly, I dont care how people feel about that or not. You shouldnt either.

3. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Yes there are stryker.

If you read through the EU and your goal isn't to force every single bit of anything into the timeline you notice that there are things out of whack. Before I came to the JCC I didn't really care. I'd read something and if I didn't like it I could hurl it with great force. But since I've got here I'm not allowed to have an opinion unless it matches what LFL tells me to think.
    I'm damn tired of "EU=canon". What the hell ahppened to reading for enjoyment, not out of some bent desire to prove your viewpoint is better then those bastard Movie forumer?

bah

First off, man, what's with the tone? I expect more from you, dude. :)

Secondly, I've been coming here, oh, a few months longer than you, and I have been primarily a Lit guy this whole time, and I haven't really seen that sort of thing. Yes, EU fans sometimes smash at a puzzle piece to make it fit, but I've always seen it done with humour and a smile.

I understand your frustration with canon; I myself have sometimes gotten a headache from the debates. But, in the end, what does it matter if you don't care? :)

Like I said, though, just because you don't like something doesn't make it any less relevant. That's true with anything in life, though, not just the EU. :)

C'mon, farraday, smile. :D

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So here's my solution to purist & completist alike:

Talk about Star Wars without using the "c-word."

Personally, I think that the use of the term "canon" is an intellectual crutch being used by both factions. For example-

Purist: I think it's absolutely craptastic that there's a poison that makes you turn to the dark side, that a Jedi Master got tired lifting an X-Wing out of a lake but a group of apprentices can hurl a whole fleet of Star Destroyers across the solar system, and the Sith Lords can cause stars to go supernova!

Completist: But...but...but...It's canon and you HAVE TO accept it!!!

Or how about-

Completist: Given the implied enormity of the Imperial military, I find it perfectly reasonable that the Empire would fight on after a single battle, despite the loss of the Sith Lords.

Purist: Bah! That's not canon! George Lucas didn't come up with that crap!

No wonder flame wars get going with this level of mental dwarfism going on [face_plain]

In any event, my personal taste for EU leans heavily towards prequal-era material. Give me Jedi Council-Acts of War and Cloak of Deception over Dark Empire II and Planet of Twilight any day of the week and twice on Sundays! :D

However, I understand that my taste is exactly that: mine. As folks here say, TETO, To Each Their Own.

5. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Stryker, until you've had to mod a canon debate don't tell me you've had more experience.

Perhaps I'm naive but I thought we were supposed to give a damn, not just smile and say 'it's all good' like some mindless neophyte.

Frankly I'm tired of being made to feel that I'm less then a 'real fan' because I think GoDV is toilet paper and the Bounty Hunter Wars are the best example of character assassination in print.
    I'm tired of being told my opinions don't matter because some idiot in LFL says otherwise. I'm tired of being told "EU=Canon" as if thats the answer to every question and anything or anyone that disagrees is an idiot.

So sell your platitudes elsewhere. I may have to accept things I don't like in life, but the EU isn't life.

6. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Whoa now. I think everybody needs to leave past hostilities in the past. :cool:

7. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Stryker, until you've had to mod a canon debate don't tell me you've had more experience.

:) I'm sorry I gave you that impression. I would like to believe that I am patient enough to be able to mod any debate and retain a sense of humour about the whole thing, but never having had the opportunity (here, on my site we really don't argue) I can't say for sure. I am sorry that you've become so jaded on the subject, and that you're allowing it to color your views so heavily. I have been involved in quite a few, though, and I can safely say that it hasn't hurt me in the least. :)

Perhaps I'm naive but I thought we were supposed to give a damn, not just smile and say 'it's all good' like some mindless neophyte.

Well, wait, what do you want? To follow your own canon and say to heck with LFL's canon, or to care and cram it all into the official canon? I don't quite understand what you're going for here. :)

Frankly I'm tired of being made to feel that I'm less then a 'real fan' because I think GoDV is toilet paper and the Bounty Hunter Wars are the best example of character assassination in print.
    I'm tired of being told my opinions don't matter because some idiot in LFL says otherwise. I'm tired of being told "EU=Canon" as if thats the answer to every question and anything or anyone that disagrees is an idiot.

Well, farraday, then what do you want to hear? I am not asking this in a sarcastic way, I am being serious. If you want to keep your one or two favorite EU novels and say they are the only real ones, do so, and to heck with everyone else. If you don't care about the official canon, then why care about what others say about it, too?

So sell your platitudes elsewhere. I may have to accept things I don't like in life, but the EU isn't life.

I apologize, farraday, I didn't mean to come off like I was stuffy and overbearing. You can do whatever you want. Accept what you want and not. I am simply saying, if you are going to participate in someone else's forum (especially an obviously pro-EU one), then you have to be willing to work on their terms.

farraday, I have a lot of respect for you, I honestly do. Please don't feel like I am attacking you or your view. But aren't I allowed to present my view in opposition of yours? :)

8. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    You can't have a discussion on a topic if you start with the presumption that one side is right. Thats what we have right now. You can't disagree with any aspect of the EU since it's all canon.
    What does that leave me?
    I'm allowed to have opinions as long as I don't post them?

9. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    You can believe whatever you want to believe on the Canon issue. Some accpet LFL rule that all non-infinities EU is Canon. That's okay.

Others believe that the movies are the true story, and the EU is a what if?. That's cool too.

Others pick and choose between the various EU sources and pick out what they like and to hell with the rest. That's fine too.

It's all good as far as I'm concerned. Prescribing to one belief doesn't make you more or less a Star Wars fan.

10. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    You can't have a discussion on a topic if you start with the presumption that one side is right. Thats what we have right now. You can't disagree with any aspect of the EU since it's all canon.
    What does that leave me?
    I'm allowed to have opinions as long as I don't post them?

Do you maybe think it's possible that you have come in here with the wrong attitude? I don't think that anyone in here has been completely unable to listen to comprimise. I guess we'll just have to disagree, but the funny thing is I don't entirely disagree with you. I just don't think that you want to agree. :(

11. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    "wrong attitude"?

Look at this and tell me where the "wrong attitude" lies:

Someone starts up a discussion on the Classic Trilogy board and specifically states clearly in the title of the thread and the body of first post that they aren't taking EU into account in the discussion. Almost immediately completists come into the thread and stating that EU already answered that question and that it has the only viable answer. The same completists proceed to derail the conversation until the original point is forgotten.

Now who has the "wrong attitude" in this instance: the author of the thread who knowingly discounts an entire body of information, or the completists who ignored the premise of the thread?

12. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Wow this discussion is fantastic, especially if you keep the hostilities out. ;) I agree with JediMerk, the whole pre-prequels era is fascinating to read about. Just part of the reason I love the EU. I love making up my own visualizations to the new characters & worlds introduced.

Surprisingly, although I liked the movies, it was the EU that really got me to love SW! IMHO, if you leave out the EU from Star Wars, it is like dinner without the dessert. It can be done, but look at the great stuff you are missing!

13. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Thanks to all that have responded. This is indeed an interesting thread, thanks to all the contributors.

14. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    IMO most of it is not all that great. I get my dessert elsewhere, like fan fiction. :cool:

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I agree that not all of it is great. I shudder just thinking about The Crystal Star or Planet of Twilight.

16. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    For those who don?t like the current writing in the EU, a question: who would you like to write Star Wars?

17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    LOL at the signature, Gandolf! One of my favorites is: If my trusted lieutenant says to me "But my Lord, he is but one man! What can he do," I will shoot him and say "That!"

Anyways, I think that this discussion has gotten off-topic. It started as "What do you like about the EU," and it's turned into "What don't you like about EU fans"

Big difference. You have to be able to separate the two.

18. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    "wrong attitude"?

Look at this and tell me where the "wrong attitude" lies:

Someone starts up a discussion on the Classic Trilogy board and specifically states clearly in the title of the thread and the body of first post that they aren't taking EU into account in the discussion. Almost immediately completists come into the thread and stating that EU already answered that question and that it has the only viable answer. The same completists proceed to derail the conversation until the original point is forgotten.

I agree with you that the Completist is in the wrong in this event. It is the responsibility of the individual, no matter their 'affiliation', to ensure that their views (in a reasonable sense) are not going to cause problems. I submit, that if someone has specifically posted in their thread that EU ideas/theories/stories are not welcome, then the Completist should accept that and move on, as long as their is no bashing going on. I have to say, and this goes for all, that bashing opens up a conversation for debate, unless it is a community/refuge thread.

The difference between excluding ideas and bashing ideas are very clear IMO. I respect someone and their right to exclude my beliefs. I do not respect the right to mindlessly bash them and not expect debate.

By coming into this thread, however, I believe that it should be apparent that there is a friendly debate going on. The right attitude to enter this thread would be to post your views, and be prepared to debate them, hopefully with an open mind. The wrong attitude would be to come to this thread simply to vent your frustrations without looking for some resolution, or simply to bash any ideas presented without allowing for debate.

Does that make sense? :)

I do not condone disrespect for people's wishes; nor do I condone disrespect for people's beliefs. If a Purist creates a thread entitled "Why The EU Sucks", they are creating a bashing thread. Are Completists not entitled to present a counterargument? I believe that they are. If a thread is entitled "Chewbacca After RotJ" and specifically request that no EU sources be quoted, then there is no reason that Completists should post in the thread.

19. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    JM: My favorite is "If an attractive young couple enters my realm, I will carefully monitor their activities. If I find they are happy and affectionate, I will ignore them. However if circumstance have forced them together against their will and they spend all their time bickering and criticizing each other except during the intermittent occasions when they are saving each others' lives at which point there are hints of sexual tension, I will immediately order their execution."

20. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    IMO most of it is not all that great. I get my dessert elsewhere, like fan fiction.

The EU will always be my dessert. Fan-fiction tends to usually be cabbage, zuchini and greenbeans for me.

21. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    [face_laugh] @ Sturm

I don't know, I think some of it is good.

22. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
  23. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Yeah, some of it is good...If you're good at finding needles in haystacks. :p

Generally, the best fan-fiction is the featured material at TFN.

24. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
  25. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Alright, kids, back on topic.

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.