main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Isnt the New Galactic Empire kind of weak?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by THRAWNFAN, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Note: Krayt's Empire, in terms of its effect on the galaxy as a whole, i.e. the governed, may not be as bad as Palpy's.

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    That's assuming that the hypothetical historian differentiates between the New Empire and Palpatine's. He or she might see it as one Empire that had a few strong, early decades followed by a several years of sharp decline before reaching stability and rising back to dominance.

3. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Yes, and short-lived empires like Alexander the Great's and the Ch'in Dynasty and Napoleon's were clearly forgotten in history. [face_whistling]

4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yes, but the point people are trying to make is how pathetic and stupid the "new" Empire is to Palpatine's wonderful Golden Age of Imperial Rule.
    Alexander the Great did pop into my mind, as well as the Mongol Hordes. The lesson? Conqurerors can rack up impressive empires in the short end that immediately fall apart. How much space in a history book is devoted to Alexander than, say, the Roman Empire? Which is more impressive, the gradual build-up of Empire over centuries, or Alexander's "empire" that was broken apart before he was cold in the ground?
    Besides which, Thrawn would be a proper analogue to Alexander or Napoleon. Palpatine's reign (almost as if Lucas intended the comparison or something) would best be compared to the Third Reich...

5. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "How much space in a history book is devoted to Alexander than, say, the Roman Empire? Which is more impressive, the gradual build-up of Empire over centuries, or Alexander's "empire" that was broken apart before he was cold in the ground?"

Well, Rome, of course :p

That doesn't, however, make these conquests any less world-shaping or critically important to the development of civilization. If anything, the sheer briefness of these regimes and empires make all the results all the more impressive. Rome shaped Europe over centuries. Alexander did it in a fraction of the time.

"Besides which, Thrawn would be a proper analogue to Alexander or Napoleon."

No he wouldn't.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    EH: Pelly is the one that plopped moffs in charge and created the political and legal structure that made the Remnant distinct from another warlord régime. Daala did not do this.

As for my connection between the two--I refer to a legal connection, not an ideological one. The Remnant is not the legal descendant of the Galactic Empire. However, the Second Empire is explicitly the legal descendant of the Remnant.

blackmyron: No, we don't know the extent of the Second Empire. We do know that the GA still held the vast majority of the galaxy, and that the First Empire held more than both.

Palpatine was more uniformly popular than both. The only reason the Empire fell is because Palpatine wanted it to--Endor was not fatal, but Pestage and Dangor were instructed to be wreckers and ensure that the Empire would go through turmoil and crisis before the return of the Emperor.

7. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    While i tend to agree with that assertion, has this been explicitly confirmed? It could just have easily been the Empire of the Hand that rose to power (distinctly possible considering that a Fel is the Emperor), absorbing the Remnant along the way.

As Randy Stradley would say, "Assumes facts not in evidence!" :p

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The very beginning of #0 (or #1) explicitly says the Imperial Remnant declared itself an Empire once more. :p

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    No, I agree - the rise and fall of Palpatine is an endlessly fascinating story. It's the heart of two movie trilogies, after all... but the trying to make the comparison that the new Empire is "weak and stupid" compared to Palaptine's empire is patently absurd, especially since by design Palpatine never planned to his Empire to survive his death.
    If it wasn't for Pellaeon and the three generation of Fels, there wouldn't be any further Empire, "Remnant" or otherwise.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If it wasn't for Pellaeon, there wouldn't be a need for a Second Empire.

11. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    The new empire is just made up of a bunch on Neo-cons. I can just see Paul Wolfowitz sitting in his office on bastion scheming how to influence foreign policy on kassyyk a little more in the new empire, sardonically laughing into nothingness.

Now that is pure eeeeeeevil!

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh yes, because the neocons are associated with raising taxes...

13. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Of course not. Other groups employ "tax and spend" economics. Neocons see the first part as bad and the last half as good, so they double up on the good stuff and give us "spend and spend" economics.

14. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003

The new empire is just made up of a bunch on Neo-cons. I can just see Paul Wolfowitz sitting in his office on bastion scheming how to influence foreign policy on kassyyk a little more in the new empire, sardonically laughing into nothingness.

Now that is pure eeeeeeevil!

From that post, I'm forced to conclude you have no idea what "neocon" means.

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Can we not bring politics into Lit? Or at least keep this brief? o_O

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I didn't intend to discuss how well they manage it, jSarek, just that taxation is against their definitional ideology. ;)

I actually didn't even understand what bringing up Wolfowitz even had to do with the Second Empire anyhow. :p

17. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Fair enough. ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.