Senate Israel/Palestine

Discussion in 'Community' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Jan 4, 2009.

1. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
  2. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
  4. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
  5. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    are people outraged by it? it was presented to me as darkly humorous
  6. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9

Um, yeah, I mean I figure religious people are boring foolish too serious at the best of times, but Google the phrase "BBC Israel soldier twists ankle in gaza" and prepare to be assailed by gormless hypocrisy and manufactured outrage. 'Cause, you know, Arabs done hate Palestinians; they just hate Israelis more.
  7. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    welcome to the internet i guess

ill be over here puzzling over israeli facebook friends' reactions to a picture that purports to be of a palestinian literally hanging small children by their clothing on a fence, supposedly as human shields (as if that has ever stopped the idf)
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Aug 4, 2014
  8. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9

Speaking for myself, my Jewish friends are absolutely in an alternate world right now, where Israel is under assault by the very anus of evil itself.
    yankee8255 and Rogue_Ten like this.
  9. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    yah, i love at least two of my facebook israelis to death but its really creepy when they periodically get pulled into these paroxysms of "kill-em-all" nationalism
  10. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    I only do that to Saxonites.
    Ender Sai likes this.
  11. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9

Well I have a mix of both I should say. Some are militant, others are conspicuously oblivious to it, posting more "normal" photos of them doing stuff than they otherwise would.

I understand the militant sentiment, but I can't sanction it given the death toll to date.
  12. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    yeah i think the israeli citizens i know just happen to be right there in netanyahu's base

none of the non-israeli jews i know ever comment on the conflict on facebook, so far as ive noticed. its always the evangelical americans and the israelis that go into full spin-machine mode during these flare-ups. and then there's one girl who doesnt even wait for a major offensive, its just "all palestinians being evil all the time", punctuated by selfies (her iphone has an israeli flag skin, so the mirrored ones at least have a sort of continuity with the nationalist content) and the occassional article about animal cruelty -- her two main political causes appear to be protecting animal rights and exterminating gazans
  13. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    The worst are the Gawker and related-site comments.
  14. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
  15. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    [IMG]

i lol'd

also apparently there's another truce or something, w/e
  16. Violent Violet Menace Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm finding it difficult to not be defeatist when it comes to this conflict, which in turn makes me apathetic. Basically, they deserve each other.
    Ender Sai likes this.
  17. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    well the problem with that thinking is that, in the long term is that, as much as israel whines about rockets killing, like 1/2 of an israeli citizen per year or w/e, they probably could sustain the occupation indefinitely (and presumably, given netanyahu's public rejection of both a two state solution and citizenship for palestinians, this is the de facto intent). the real suffering is on the palestinian side, and that cannot and should not be sustained forever
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Aug 11, 2014
    Lord Vivec likes this.
  18. Violent Violet Menace Force Ghost

star 4
    I've thought/known this for a long time, hence my defeatism.
  19. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    I'd say it's pretty easy for Westerners/Americans to settle into the comforts of defeatism and apathy when we aren't affected by the situation at all.
    Rogue_Ten likes this.
  20. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    the whole "they deserve each other" comment is unwarranted. surely the palestinian people do not "deserve" to be exterminated and/or driven from their homes? to say nothing of the, in my opinion, also unfair implication that the average israeli citizen "deserves" to live in a culture suffused by hate and fear
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Aug 11, 2014
  21. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5

Isn't VVM Iranian?
  22. Violent Violet Menace Force Ghost

star 4
    I didn't mean the average Palestinian or Israeli citizen, as surely the average citizen on both sides is reasonable and just wants to get on with his life and mind his own business more than anything. My comment was directed at what you might call hardliners - those who nurture an atmosphere of fear and hostility. I thought that was implied. Or, rather, I thought that was assumed, I should say. Perhaps it was a needlessly vicious statement.

I've grown up here, though. I'm as much, if not more so, a product of here as there. His criticism is valid.
    Last edited by Violent Violet Menace, Aug 11, 2014
    Rogue_Ten likes this.
  23. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
    Is he? I mean, my comment still stands whether he is or isn't, it just wouldn't be directed at him anymore.

@Violent Violet Menace answer.

EDIT: how did you go back in time and post before me VVM this isn't funny. :p
    Last edited by Lord Vivec, Aug 11, 2014
  24. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4

I have to imagine they were referring to the IDF and Hamas or the Israeli government and Hamas. I'd like to think that when people are mentioning the Israelis and Palestinians, they aren't referring to the general civilian populations who would just as soon see this ended.
    Last edited by MistrX, Aug 12, 2014
  25. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    well then i think its worth pointing out his rhetorical mistake, because clearly hamas and likud are doing quite well off each new exchange of ordinance. do they "deserve" the increased support they both recieve from their constituents/international cheering sections as a result? surely he didnt mean that either
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Aug 12, 2014