1. Oh hai Guest!

Welcome to the RPF!

OOC It´s a Trap! Episode VII OOC/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by SirakRomar, Apr 5, 2013.

Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza
  1. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    Gilad was considered useless (obviously too many menta games played with his mind).

Concerning the time-limit. There will certainly be the point when I move forward and I can say I would be very cautious to do so before two weeks have passed (except an extraordinary situation arises, like 10 players wait on a simple YES by a player vanished altogether), but if I feel I have to, I will take steps to move people. I won´t give a totally fixed time amount yet, simply because I still need to et a feeling for such a great group, so I would actually guess instead of estimate. I assume in a week or two I will do an official FAQ (there are frequently asked questions all over my mailbox) and that one will be covered there. But good thinking, Cmdr. I actually wondered about that, too.

If somebody is away he should let me know it btw, because I can take people out of the picture for a time. My cast is big enough to allow me that :p

to everybody about my OP length: Be assured future updates will be much shorter. See Castaways to see my usual update style. But occassionally I will do these large ones, to set up things and provide a bit extra-atmosphere.

@Gelderd, these guys know what they´re talking about. I won´t add anything. But yes, when you TAG me, my NPCs respond. Therefore you should TAG me whenever you think the environment would respond to your actions.
    Last edited by SirakRomar, Apr 14, 2013
  2. Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm wondering if I am over thinking my character in Lando, but I want to be as authentic as possible I wounder if anyone else thinks he would continue to pursue a course with the alliance. I'm thinking of leaving the door open in my first post and yes opinions are necessary in this case.
  3. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    I think Lando would feel that it was nice to be needed, otherwise he would not have hung around Cloud City as long as he did, or accepted the General-ship for Endor.
  4. Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Yes I could see that,but have you ever wondered if his reason for joining wasn't to thumb his nose at vader.
  5. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Possible. I am trying to think of a parallel to how Lando dealt with that Sorceror of Tund, Rokur Gepta, but not helping.

Maybe Lando would want to return to Cloud City as soon as the Empire would not be a problem.
  6. DarkLordoftheFins Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, Rokur Gepta is the EU interpretation of the character and the point of this game is, that the EU doesn´t concern us.

So it´s pretty simple. From the movies we get no definite character motivation. All we know is he leads the attack on Death Star II despite he doesn´t have to. Otherwise nada hint at what is going on in him. Therefore the question is what do you wanna do with him? Seriously, that is nothing any of us can tell you. You need to decide yourself.
  7. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    You are right. Too easy a trap for me to fall into.
  8. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    I am often struggling with thism, to be honest. Had to write whole parts of the OP anew, because I based them on EU.
    Last edited by SirakRomar, Apr 14, 2013
  9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    I think we all will struggle with it, those of us who have canon characters that is. I myself had to remind myself that Dooku does not have living relatives and his master was indeed Yoda.
  10. Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    This is new territory for everyone which is why I struggled with character development as Lando's motives and feeling never really seemed clear cut in the movies.
  11. BLemelisk Force Ghost

star 4
    I am diving into this OP with the Shadows of the Empire soundtrack starting up in the background.

I'm loving the atmosphere so far :)
  12. Skywalker_T-65 Force Ghost

star 6
    Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to post.[face_thinking]
  13. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    ^ Same.

I need to think things through a bit. It seems so simple, but there's a lot of factors at play.
  14. Lukes_Apprentice Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Yes there are that why I went over every scenario in my head then asked others and came to a sound conclusion what I believe my character would do based on the information I had. IF you want to discuss it with the group like I did that would be awesome or figure it out on your own.

However, If were han I would still be ribbing lando about the damage to falcon and have my arm around leia. @HanSolo29
    Last edited by Lukes_Apprentice, Apr 14, 2013
  15. Mitth_Fisto Force Ghost

star 6
    Eh, I got lucky. My canonicity was highly vague :p
  16. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    One thing that bothers me is how easily Han dismisses Lando for betraying him on Cloud City. He acted as if nothing ever happened. I understand that Lando participated in his rescue and all, but you would think there would still be some uneasiness between them. And even if they did work that out, I don't think Han would react very well to the news that he brought the Falcon back with a fair amount of damage. That would be like pouring salt into an already open wound, so he may hold a bit of a grudge against him.

And again, this all depends on how close Han and Lando were in the past. We no longer have the EU to draw upon, so it should be an interesting setup.
  17. Jedi General Gelderd Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok - I'm going to have my first ever RP post soon! Not afraid to say I've been sat here really over-thinking about doing it well and not letting it fall flat! Haha... still a great story though and people to have around. [:D]

One more question (Sorry!) - I notice in some respones, people TAG 3/4 others after their response - is this to do with their section has an action/moment/interaction that affects these people's characters?

So for mine, pretty much at the moment, there is no-one really to be affected bar Skira, with "the environment"?

Promise that's my last question and I'll get stuck in! :)

Thanks for your patience...!
  18. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    Tags are often used to "group" scenes of characters together - generally whatever your character is doing affects everyone else in the scene they're in so, for convenience, it's sort of become an RPF shorthand for telling the other players whose characters are present "Absolutely read this post!"

For your own scene, it seems your character is interacting only with NPCs under GM control, so you need only tag Sirak.

If you've got the time, I suggest checking out Our games and how to play them as well as RPG Tech Talk. The former is a bit funky due to some weirdness involved in how the backups formatted things, but still quite readable and a very handy resource. The latter is a sort of updated and expanded general errata also aimed at newcomers.
  19. Jedi General Gelderd Force Ghost

star 5
    Thank you Ramza - I'll check out those threads and make my first post!. Appreciate it.

One final question I have - how far can I interact/talk with NPC I am against? Can I speak for them and have them do things (nothing major) so the scene goes forward, or not?

Thanks! :)
    Last edited by Jedi General Gelderd, Apr 15, 2013
  20. SirakRomar Force Ghost

star 4
    You act as your character - I react as the Npc. Back and forth.

Yeah, some players take a little more control (like the Battle of Cerea posts show), but that's a matter of experience. You need to know how far you can go and if you go too far, ...

Let's simply say for a newbie who seems eager to make it right, leave the NPC alone. Actually how could you control him. Do you have any idea what he is up to? I guess only I know.

Hope that helps.

Claire
    Jedi General Gelderd likes this.
  21. Jedi General Gelderd Force Ghost

star 5
    Thank you Claire, that helps. Sorry for bogging this down with question after question, I appreciate your patience!

I'll get stuck right in - do, or do not. There is no try after all!

:)
  22. Republic_Anvil Jedi Master

star 1
    @Jedi General Gelderd, Don't worry about bogging anything down. We enjoy helping Newbies become Oldbies and don't mind the questions. When in doubt ask, is always a good policy. :D
    Jedi General Gelderd likes this.
  23. Jedi General Gelderd Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks Republic_Anvil, I hope to become a good Oldbie in fair time!

I'm THIS close to starting my post, just want to make sure I've got everything I need to understand, understood before I do! :D
  24. Republic_Anvil Jedi Master

star 1
    @Jedi General Gelderd, If you need any help with posts or if your not sure on any format or if you just want an opinion before you post it to the thread. Please feel free to PM me. I'll be glade to help you out.

Edit: Not that I'm an expert, far from it. But I have lurked in the RP Forum for years, and I've picked a few thinks things up. At least I hope I have. :p

Edit #2: Spelling is apparently not one of them.
    Last edited by Republic_Anvil, Apr 15, 2013
  25. Jedi General Gelderd Force Ghost

star 5
    You've just volunteered to be my personal RPF guide! Hope you're happy now...

Thank you though again, that's handy to have. :)
    Republic_Anvil likes this.
Moderators: Penguinator, Ramza