main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"It Can't Be Done..." (Luke becomes paralyzed in a starfighter crash) UPDATED 8/7!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Princess_Tranquility, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Tranquility

Princess_Tranquility Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 19, 2002
    It's 2 years after the Battle of Endor, and the fragile New Republic has just begun to rebuild itself. During this time the Republic was experiencing difficulty with a new prototype A-wing starfighter, not knowing what the cause is, they decide to have Luke Skywalker fly a test run on it. They assume that his pilot skills, along with his Jedi abilities, could more accurately pinpoint the problem.

During the run however the ship crashes! After Luke is pulled from the wreckage, the medics discover during his treatment, that besides burns, cuts, and several broken ribs, that he suffered a spinal injury. Running tests they find that the 24 year old Jedi, is paralyzed from the waist down, with little hope of ever walking again.

His internal struggle of coping with his injury, a struggle with the overprotective nature of his friends, and a Republic who has lost all faith in him. Luke must prove them all wrong. Must prove that he is still the man he was before. That he can still fight and deserves more then just sympathy comments. In a galaxy that says "It Can't be Done..."

(If you can see the screen through your tears please post comments, I love feedback, keep tissues around, and feel free to PM me at any time)

2. SJade

SJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 15, 2000
    Good morning :)

I say go for it; sounds one like one heck of a story :)

Love and care
    SJ

3. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    Sounds interesting. :)

= Clare =

4. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    go for it!

5. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Hey, go right ahead!! Looking foward to reading :D

*passes out popcorn and pepsi*

6. Princess_Tranquility

Jan 19, 2002
    thanks for the comments, glad you all like the idea :D
    Well like I always I say on with the story!

Plesadia zoomed closer, and Luke began to feel nauseous from the banks and spirals that his damaged starfighter was taking. //Would he ever stop spinning?// he thought.

He remembered how last night he had been approached about taking a test run in the new prototype A-wing. Seemed that the techs and pilots were confused as to what was kicking the repulsors and shields out during midflight. One pilot had already died in a test run, and two techs had suffered severe injuries during a combustion from the ship's engines. He had been slightly worried about attempting a run himself. The A-wing however needed to be up and ready to go, before the Empire came knocking on their door again. The war was over, but the Imperials were far from gone. Luke knew that they were asking him, not just because he was an outstanding pilot, having proved himself gain and again during battle, but because he was a Jedi Knight. The last Jedi Knight. They needed his Force abilities to sense the problem within the ship. Reluctantly he accepted.

He told Leia and Han that night during dinner. Leia knew about the problems the crew was facing with the A-wing. Speechless, she begged Luke not to do this, not to fly the run. She could feel extreme danger for him if he did so. Han second the opinon learning to trust the strange bond the twins had. Luke told her he had to fly. The Republic needed the ship. The new technology might make or break them during a battle against the remenents of the Empire. She understood and knew her brother...her one and only brother was the only one who could find the malfunction. Han knew it as well, he had grown to trust Luke's strange powers, it had saved them all more then once.

The next morning under the watchful eye of what seemed like the entire base, Luke removed his worn black cape and donned his orange flight suit. Breathing in a deep sigh he hugged his friends. Lando, Han, Wedge, Chewie, and then...Leia. She had stood to the back, trying to not shed tears she knew were forming in the jungle planet's morning dampness. When he embraced her, she cried openly, but only to him. She hadn't wanted to let go, but knew this had to be done. Luke felt the strange feeling. He knew something was going to happen to him. Something horrible. He had felt it. He also knew however that if he flew the run, that even though something would happen, he might discover the problem, before the inevitable happened. He just prayed to the Force, that he would live to tell them about it.

Climbing into the prototype he turned his head one last time to see Leia grab on to Han. They both watched him with saddened expressions. The silence filled the air as he kicked the repulsors on and did the preflight. It had felt odd knowing Artoo was not in the ship with him, but he didn't want to endanger anyone or anything else in this run. He considered Artoo to be like one of his friends. He was deffinitly more then just a droid. After he had completed the preflight he took off. He had no longer felt the ground beneath him, and thought silently, as he slipped into the Force, he might not ever feel it again.

7. Princess_Tranquility

Jan 19, 2002
    Now as his ship continued to spin, and he relived the memories of this mornings events. He wondered if he should have listened to his and Leia's nagging feelings. The Force had known this was going to happen. Then again so did he. He willingly took this risk. For the good of the New Republic. He watched the ground spin closer, and he let the Force calm him. One good thing however, he did discover the problem. It was an overheated power cupling. The metal it was made of could not support the heat given off by the repulsor's engines. When it became to hot it's bolts melted. It then snapped, tearing the wires that connected to the repulsor system and then landed somewhere near the engine. The Republic would need to put a more effecent power cupling in the ships, or a better coolant system.

Relief that he had indeed found the problem was shortlived. He was still in mortal danger, as black smoke and flames engulfed the engines. As he passed over the stunned crowd he reached out to the Force, to try to levitate the ship to a graceful landing. All of a sudden, he felt a ripple as cold and as chilling as the darkside itself. A scream followed, shaking him out of his concentration. Her signature in the Force winked out, and he knew it was Leia. She was witnessing the danger from the ground below, or had been. She must have fainted at the sight of his firey starfighter. He saw the ground, it was too late to reach for the Force again. He would never grasp it in time. Had he not been so distraught by Leia's scream, he might have been able to float gentely to safety. Then abandon the ship before it exploded from the flames.

He desperetly tried to think of another idea, he figured scraping bottom would be better then hitting nose first. In a last ditch effort, he pulled his control stick toward him, straightening the ship, just before it collided with the planet below.

The ship scorched the plants in it's path as it continued it's journey through the wilderness. As the A-wing tore through the jungle, plants hitting his cockpit window, Luke vaguely remembered a similar situation, on Dagobah 4 years ago. He tried to reach for the Force again, trying to put himself in a hibernation trance. He wasn't quite sure if he made it though, as the ship struck a tree and the darkness overtook him.

8. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    Great posts!! Good stuff :D

9. Skycrawler

Skycrawler Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    yeah, what he said!
    more more! :)

10. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Poor Luke! :(
    Interesting story idea.

11. Princess_Tranquility

Jan 19, 2002
    welcome RebelMom! Glad to see you in here! Thanks for the feedback. Another part will be up soon! Very soon...
    Keep reading

12. Princess_Tranquility

Jan 19, 2002
    Here's the next post, lets see how things are going!

Leia watched as Luke's A-wing streaked across the sky. She had never heard a ship make those kind of sounds in her life! Something was terribly wrong! She knew he was in danger before he ever entered the cockpit. Luke knew something was going to happen, conveyed his message through the Force. Why did he go then? She remembered the night before, his discussion about having to do it for the good of the Republic.

Her brother, her Jedi brother, her selfless martyr Jedi brother. Did he ever put his own needs ahead of a galaxy that longed to be free? Did his own welfare ever cross his mind? No. Not Luke Skywalker. A poor moisture farmer, he slaved his whole life for everything he had had, even his meals. Nothing like how she was raised. All she had to do was ask, and the palace servants answered her requests. Now that she thought about it, Leia had never once, in all the time she had known him, ever heard him even mention wanting anything. He just wasn't used to it. Luke still insisted on doing things for himself. He always said he didn't want to burden anyone, even when she had insisted it was their jobs. All he longed for was flying, freedom, and to touch the Force. He had achieved all that. A hero in the eyes of millions, yet he still asked for nothing in return.

The A-wing screeched by again, but this time, she caught site of thick billows of black smoke!
    His fighter was on fire! She raised her hands to her mouth in horror. Han wrapped his arms around her. She sought the calm within his soul, only to find his heart was beating as fast as hers. She let the Force wrap around her, and embraced it. She heard the silent cries of her friends around her, felt the fear in Han's body, and the calm state of her brother.

No! He was dying! She could feel his life slip through the fingers of the Force that he held so dear. Images flooded her mind. Things he was seeing. The smoke, the sparks, then the planet, and the wilderness. No! She said silently to herself again. The images changed and became memories. Luke's memories.

She watched as his life flash before her eyes! Tatooine, the farm, using the Force as a child, feeling a strap against his back for even daring to touch it! His loving aunt, his Jedi hating uncle, Ben Kenobi, Artoo and Threepio, lightsaber-father's lightsaber, death, discovery, Yoda, dreams coming true, sister, destiny, father redeemed, a new family. Through his memories she discovered more of him then what she thought existed. However all his memories were laced with pain. Always pain, every single one.

All this was information overload! Too much, too much of him to handle all at once! Her head began to hurt. She pounded at it with her fists, trying to fight back his pain. She reached blindly for him in the Force, only to find he had slipped away! "Nooooooooooo!" She screamed. She felt her blood run cold, and fell lifeless in Han's arms.

13. Simone

Simone Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Great post can't wait to see when they pull Luke out!!!! !!!! !!!! !!!!

14. Princess_Tranquility

Jan 19, 2002
    Glad to see a post from you Simone. I liked your PM so much

I wrote more!! :D

"Leia!" Han yelled.

He held her limp form in his outstretched hands. One moment she was standing stiff and in horror, as Luke's A-wing flew overhead. Then suddenly, she released a long surpressed sigh, as her back arched and she fell towards the ground. He had barely caught her, as he had been enthralled by the sight of the burning starfighter.

He fell to his knees, cradling her in his arms. Chewie fell immediatly at his side, to aid him with the uncoscious Princess.

"Leia? Sweetheart? You there?" He shook her gentely.

Lando, and Wedge, noticing what had happened joined their commrades on the flagstone enteranceway.

"What happened?" Lando asked in shocked amazement.

"I don't know?" Han said, stroking her long hair. "But I think it must have something to do with Luke." He gazed, towards the sky, wondering where the sith he had disappeared to.

The group strained their eyes, searching through the depleating black clouds. They desperetly tried to divide their attention between the fallen princess, and her missing Jedi twin.

All of a sudden a loud crash was heard to the west. All stares turned in the direction. A moment of silence filled the air, as no one in the hangerbay spoke a word. The quartet of friends looked in eachothers distressed eyes.

"Luke..." Wedge said breathlessly, refusing to look away from the forming smoke clouds.

15. Princess_Tranquility

Jan 19, 2002
    Here's more! :D

The silence broke as General Madine and Mon Mothma began hollering orders all over the place: "Get a medical staff hurry....someone get out....he may be gravely injured....he might be....dead"

The docking bay became a completely disfunctional array of confused pilots, techs, and government officials.

"I don't know about you but I'm heading out there!" Lando shouted to Han. He got to his feet, and began marching away.

"Lando-" Han started.

"Han, I owe it to him. After what happened at Bespin. I never forgave myself for letting him fall so willingly into Vader's hands like that. I'm reminded of it eveytime I see his right hand." Lando spoke in an unsettled tone.

"Besides, he's my friend. One of the few who never judged me for my past. Just liked me for who I was. The galaxy needs more men like that." He pointed towards the smoke. "I'll be damned I'm gonna let that boy suffer again, knowing I could do something about it!"

Han stared. He had never seen Lando like this. He had to admit, the Kid had that kind of an impact on people. All you had to do was look in those infamous blue eyes, and you could never imagine your life without his company. Han knew to well the impact. Luke had worked his magic of accute innocence on him several years ago. He brought out a part of Han that Han never knew existed, simply by just being Luke.

"I'm right with you boss!" Wedge exclaimed, jumping to his feet.

Lando nodded and they took off knowing full well Han had to stay with Leia.

Han had wanted to go with them. He was really worried about Luke. He was also worried about Leia too. The way she started shaking, when she placed her fists on her head. Then the blood curdling scream she let out before collapsing. He took off his jacket, and folded it into a pillow to lay her head on. Han knew her reaction had something to do with whatever was shared between her and Luke before he crashed, he just hoped the Kid was alright.

16. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Nooo! Luke! Hurry up and get him out.

I liked the section where Leia was thinking about the selfless nature of her brother. Very good points.

*RM impatiently waits for more.*

17. Simone

Jun 17, 2001
    Great POSTS!!!! !!!! !!!! !!!!

18. Princess_Tranquility

Jan 19, 2002
    You guys seem to want Luke out! I know I do!

here's part of Luke's rescue attempt!
    Enjoy :D

Knowing full well they were heading for Luke, Mothma directed a small group to follow and help. She tried to keep her strong poise, tried to fight against her disturbing thoughts. Mothma could not fall apart in front of her troops. Luke was important to the formation of their new Republic. However she had also grown to like the boy, respect him even. Thank the Force someone had finally pulled themselves together to go after him. No surprise, it was two of Jedi Skywalker's closest friends.

In the distance, Lando heard her command. It didn't matter though. He didn't particularly care if a thousand stormtroopers were hot on their heels. The only thing that counted, was getting to the ship, and getting Luke out of that cockpit!

Lando knew Luke's A-wing was on fire. He had seen it flame up right before his eyes, just before it disappeared into the jungle and crashed. He may be trapped, unconscious even! If he and Wedge didn't hurry to get him out, the ship would explode, with Luke in it.

They continued on struggling against the smoke that consumed the air around their bodies.

They ran for what seemed like years. But between the dust, smoke, and falling leaves, they were having a hard time finding the ship.

Wedge stopped, as the exhaust fumes became thicker, nearly choking him.

Lando shielded his mouth and nose as best he could with the coller of his shirt. He grabbed Wedge by the sleeve to help him along.

Forcing back their choking gasps for air, they gazed through the remeanents of smoldering trees. It was becoming incredibly difficult to see. They continued to search frantically, looking for anything that could be linked to the ship. Something to let them know they were on the right path to finding their fallen commarade.

As Wedge gazed through the smoke, his squinted eyes finally focused on a series of small, blurry lights. Blinking in a delicate rhythm. //Lights!// Wedge thought, staring in amazement, forgetting about the settling dust, he stretched out a finger.

"Look...the...ship's...safety...lights!" Wedge stated gasping for air.

Lando, quickly looked to where Wedge was pointing. He saw them! //About time!// he commented to himself.

"Come on!" Lando said.

As they ran they tried desperetly to clear away the smoke, coughing as they went.

"Luke?!" Wedge yelled

"Luke?!" Lando joined in.

They called his name repeatedly as they inched closer to the down fighter. The heat from the A-wing became intense as they drew nearer, following the blinking lights. The smoke increased, dimming the lights even further. Suddenly they disappeared into the smoke. Figuring they were close they reached out to feel their way to the ship. Shouting Luke's name as they went.

They felt around, trying to make contact with the A-wing, they weren't succeeding, and time was wearing thin.//Where was the ship? Why wasn't Luke answering them?// They thought. Their thread of hope, was beginning to fray. They became discouraged. He could be dying as they blindly continued to search. Luke might have been able to find things, lost in oblivion, without his senses. But they were not Jedi, not even close! Just concerned friends, they were looking for a needle in a hay stack, they wouldn't find him at this rate

Their hopes began to dwindle, as their friend had not answered their calls. The smoke and fumes were making it harder to breathe, and they knew they had gone completely offcourse from where they were before. They were getting nowhere. They would never find him in time. The ship would soon explode taking them with it, if they didn't get out. There was nothing they could do for him now, they had done everything they could. It was also a sad but safe bet that with the increasing smoke, if he'd been alive he no doubt had suffocated by now.

Fearing the worst, the two men, unwillingly surrendered to the fear that collected in their minds. Luke Skywalker. The last of t

19. Princess_Tranquility

Jan 19, 2002
    Thought I'd keep you in suspence there?

I don't have the heart to do that!

Seems everyone is turning their back on Luke!Unaware that he may still be alive.
    But the Force doesn't! Or is it just chance, that saves his life?

Read on to find out!

They began to turn back, trying desperetly in their minds to form the right words and the courage to tell Leia, Luke was gone. A breeze passed by the men. Thinking nothing of it, the duo continued their slow, mournful walk back to base. Then a second breeze blew by, fiercer then the first. Lando stopped in his tracks as he let the fresh air fill his lungs, forcing back the tears, he knew were forming behind his open eyes. His open eyes! He could see, clearly! The smoke around him was gone! He turned back to face the never ending cloud of smoke, they had walked away from. Instead in it's place was the emerging ship, no longer on fire.

"Wedge! Look!" Lando exclaimed.

Maybe it was nature, or maybe it was the will of the Force itself, but in that moment, strong winds gathered around them. Passing over the site. The breezes cleared out nearly three-quarters of the smoke. Then ceased as quickly as they had begun.

Wedge and Lando waisted no time running towards the ship. Smiles creased their lips, but they knew it was no time for rejoycing. They reached it's port side, shocked at how mangled and carbon scorched the wreak truly was. It's crumpled body was embedded firmly in what was left of a large Borian tree, and covered in layers of the forest's foliage. //If Luke was alive//, Wedge thought to himself, // he was truly blessed by a higher power//.

The pair began wiping off the canopy of the spacecraft. Pushing aside twigs, leaves, and other plant debris. Lando climbed onto a broken branch, and began fighting to open the cockpit. Colorful curses in several different languages oozed from his mouth as he strained at the hatch.

Wedge stood nearer the ground, waiting with annoyed patience for the seal to break. He heard it open! //Finally!// He smiled, releasing a sigh of relief.

"Yes!" Lando said quietly to himself with a short laugh.

Smoke rose from the cockpit's interior, making its way into the damp air. He began waving his hands over the area, trying to push the smoke aside.

As the cloud gave way he saw Luke. A grim expression crossed his face, and his brow furrowed as he looked down at his bruised, and broken friend.

His unconscious, expressionless face laid on the board, facing towards Lando, his mouth partly open. Blood formed from a cut on his lip.

He was hunched over the control board, which had nearly broken away from the ship itelf. Parts of the board were melted, as the cut and stripped wires shot white hot sparks all over the cockpit. Lando noticed several burns on Luke's face, caused by the them, and the horrendous heat of the board he rested on. His left arm was sprawled out straight on the console, recieveing the most painful of the burns, as the sparks leapt up to his motionless fingers.

His legs were trapped by the intense weight of the terminal. His right hand was limply coiled around the control stick, the arm pinned by his own dead weight. A small pool of blood from an extremly deep gash on the right side of his head, trickled around the different switches and knobs. It fell in droplets, forming an increasing stain on his orange flight suit. He had several more visable cuts, bruises and burns, too many for Lando to count. Not to mention other injuries. He saw more blood stains seeping through his torn and ragged clothing.

He looked Luke over again. He was so pale and cold to the touch, Lando was sure he was dead. He then noticed a very slow movement from Luke's battered form, as his back rose slightly, and fell again. //Was Luke breathing?!// Lando, stretched a hand into the spark filled cockpit. As long as he didn't shake the console there would be no sparks. He didn't want to inflict anymore wounds on Luke, he had so many already.

Shaking with nervousness, he touched Luke's neck. Feeling around, he sighed with

20. Skycrawler

Skycrawler Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2000
    great posts! more more!!! :)

21. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    though I do love a good cliffhanger, I'm glad you didn't have a long one there. Thanks.

22. Simone

Jun 17, 2001
    FANTASTIC POSTS!!!! !!!! !!!! !!!!
    I bet he's got amnesia???? ???? ???? ????

23. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Poor Luke. Sniff, sniff.

24. Princess_Tranquility

Jan 19, 2002
    No he doesn't have amnesia! Try again!

MariahJade2 : glad to see your enjoying it, even though your crying.

The last part of Luke's rescue attempt will be up by tomorrow night, at the latest. that will complete part 1 and take us into Luke's agonizing will of no longer being able to stand on his own or walk again. Those will be the more dramatic and emotional scenes. So keep pleanty of tissue handy! I haven't even begun to graze the surface of heart wrenching yet!

Post more soon, blessed be!

25. Simone

Jun 17, 2001
    Princess I am HUNGARY for more!!!! !!!! !!!! !!!!
    But I'm sure it's worth the wait and as they say here "good things come to those who wait"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.