main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It has been a great year for wargames...

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by howlrunner22, Dec 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    Just when I thought wargames were a niche market in this billion dollar industry, I had to be proven absolutely correct. It is rather depressing to have but a handful of friends with whom I can discuss the merits of the 18"/45' cannons onboard the Yamato. But things have been proceeding smoothly on my part. I picked up four great wargames - 12 O'Clock High, East Front Gold, West Front II and Rising Sun Gold. Incidentally, all were made by Talonsoft. They provided the Generalfeldmarschall in me with hours of steppe-crunching fun, terrorising Soviet forces during Manstein's Miracle, unleashing (variously) Shermans and Fireflies in the bocage, rooting out Japanese fortifications in the Pacific and co-ordinating bombing campaigns over the Reich - from Ploesti to Berlin.

Thankfully, as the euphoria of erupting from the Korsun Pokcet subsided, I noticed three new games on the horizon - Combat Mission 2, Uncommon Valor and Hearts of Iron (though HoI isn't exactly a wargame, it fits with the timeframe nicely.)

Surely, one amongst you, must be if not avid, then at least casual wargamer...

2. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I am a big wargame fan. Though...the last "wargame" I played was "Allied General".

3. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I'm a big fan too. BTW, as a former mod, you must keep your colours set as red.

4. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "BTW, as a former mod, you must keep your colours set as red."

...Said the normal member.

5. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I'm not ordering him around. It's just that he's been away from this place for a long time, so I'm bringing him up to speed on the rules. Just because I'm not a former mod doesn't mean I don't know the rules they have to follow.

6. Skimaniac87

Skimaniac87 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 21, 2002
    I just got IL2, that's a great war game! :)

7. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    When i get my new computer (yes!) i'll get Compat Flight Simulator 3.

8. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Uncommon Valor is great. Too bad I don't have money to buy Combat Mission 2, I really loved the first one. But still my favourite wargame is The Operational Art Of War (Talonsoft of course).

9. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    IL-2 is a wonderful simulator. Sure it has a war-theme, but its not exactly the directing-of-forces game that characterises wargames.

I remember all the years ago when I first started tentatively with the beer-and-pretzels 'Panzer General'. Now I'm on to reading OOBs late into the night and wishing I had just one more platoon of IS-2s on the front.

10. howlrunner22

Oct 24, 1998
    I'll hi-jack my thread as I damn well please...

Where's the sports forum? We have everything else. What, its not as if we're all indoor loving geeks here. Give the quarterbacks (me), star midfielders (me too) and lawn-bowler (me again) a place to laugh at all of you.

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  12. Purple_People_Eater

Purple_People_Eater Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2002
  13. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I love Combat Mission 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.