main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It isnt Anakin's fault he went to the dark side.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by thehulk113, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thehulk113

thehulk113 Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2003
    IMO I think that it isnt Anakin's fault that he went to the dark side. When you are 1 the jedi council take the children as younglings and they teach them not to become attached to people like Anakin did. Anakin was a youngling/padawan when he was 9 years old. He had basic emotion unlike 1 year olds who only know to cry. Anakin was attached to his mother and he had fear in him because he was afraid of never seeing her or being with her ever again. That was the reason Yoda said that he could not be trained beside the fact he was 9. He was full of fear. Fear led to anger, the anger was his mother being kidnapped, anger led to hate, he hated the Tusken Raiders, hate leads to suffering, he was suffering because his mother was gone and he was just sad because he couldnt have padme. So thats why I think that he was led to the darkside.

2. Batty4btman

Batty4btman Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    I totally agree, I like this idea.

3. thehulk113

thehulk113 Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2003
  4. Wise-Master

Wise-Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 11, 2002
    Anakin had to control his feelings, which is a hard thing to do. But Anakin's feelings still dose not give him the excuse to go into the Dark Side.

5. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    True, but he could have controlled his emotions instead of being impatient and selfish. ;)

6. Greesha

Greesha Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    You can't blame it on everyone else, it's still his fault because it's his mind.

7. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    Anakin can't blame any of what happens to him on anyone except himself. It's his fault that he falls to the Dark Side. It's not Obi-Wan's. It's not Padmé's. It's his. He's the one that killed the Tuskens. He's the one that can't control his feeling. It's his fault. He can't blame anyone for it. Just himself.

8. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002
    Was it Anakin's fault? Intrigueing question,
    and in my opinion it IS his fault, but given his life circumstances, it's easy to understand why he made bad choices. I have
    compassion for him. No one is perfect, not even the "chosen one" and it was his journey to live a life of tremendous blessings (his gifts and power with the force),frustration, sadness and suffering in order to reach a magnificent redemption. What a learning experience!!!

Was it his fault he went to the dark side?
    There are some very interesting insights in the following thread that relate to the issue of Anakin's humanity and his responsibility for his actions. It's one of the greatest threads on the boards. I highly recommend you read some of it.

Anakin's profoundly human frailty

9. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    If Anakin is held blameless for his fall the SW saga loses almost all its meaning. Sorry, but you're wrong.

10. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I absolutely agree with you, Jeff.

That's the whole point of the saga.... Anakin just totally and completely lost control. Of everything. His emotions, his tolerance, his ambition of becoming the greatest Jedi that ever lived...
    But he was the greatest Sith Lord that ever lived... hehehe ;) :D

Look at Luke, he wasn't all that young either when he started training as a Jedi. He went pretty well, took the Dark Side out of his father eventually.

So, yes, it was all Anakin's fault.

11. Seigiryu

Seigiryu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 27, 2002
    I completely and utterly agree with the past two replies. Anakin is COMPLETELY RESPONSIBLE for HIS OWN fall. Just like in real life, some people have a bad start in life (child abuse, etc.) but still turn out to be good people, and some people have great advantages (born into wealth, etc.) and still turn out bad.

One of the whole points of the saga is that we live and die based on our choices, and WHY we make them.

A martial arts instructor once told me that no matter what anyone says, warriors get scared when they face battle, they feel emotion, even if they deny it to act 'macho'.
    He went on to point out further what I hold is true as well; that its not the fact that we feel or dont feel fear or dark emotions (anger, etc.), but HOW WE DEAL WITH THEM that defines what type of a person we are. A true warrior who fights for life and justice learns to control their emotions.

Luke is a perfect example of this. He starts training as a Jedi when he's 20 (making him 11 years older than Anakin) and never even had the benefit of living a monastic life for many years during his Jedi training.

Like Anakin, his parent figures are murdered, Yoda senses fear in him, his recklessness loses him an appendage, and he gives into his anger when Darth threatens Leia in Episode VI (if the parallels keep, I think we'll see Anakin lose it when Dooku threatens Padme in III, I digress though.) The difference is, Luke CONTROLS his anger before it turns to hate and evil, and willingly puts down his sword before killing not in defense, but in hate (once again, I think we'll see Anakin do the opposite in III.)

Anakin COULD have done the same thing. The whole saga shows how Luke redeems his father by making the right decisions in spite of all the bad circumstances they both faced.

Enough said.

12. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    It's Padme's fault! I've just got that feeling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.