"It made the Kessle run in less than Twelve Parsecs"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by RogueJediOutcast, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. RogueJediOutcast Jedi Master

star 4
    You do realize Parsecs is something completely different than what Han is refering it to.
  2. That_Random_Jedi Force Ghost

star 3
    No, what are they? Are they time units? Distance measurement?
  3. RogueJediOutcast Jedi Master

star 4
    Its like saying I could run to the store and back in less than a mile.
  4. That_Random_Jedi Force Ghost

star 3
    I saw this explained somewhere. Let me see if I can find it, okay? When I find the explanation I'll put it here.

EDIT: I GOT IT!

The Kessel Run is like a relay race for freighters. You pick up cargo from Ship A and deliver it to Ship B, pick up Ship B's cargo and head for Ship C. And all the while these ships are steadily moving away from each other, thus increasing the distance between them. Finishing the run before the ships get very far from each other equals a win.
  5. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    1 Parsec = 3 light years

Han was correct in what he was saying. The Kessel Run, as many people believe, was not about the time someone finishes it in. It's about the shortest route. What he means it that he was able to complete a Kessel Run in under 36 light years.

No plot error, it's just some people don't realize what he meant.
  6. Atticus Jedi Master

star 4
    jedimasterbac is correct. Lucas mentions this in the commentary. He plotted out the fast course in his navicomputer by lookng for the shortest distance between the 2.
  7. RogueJediOutcast Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, where did you hear that?
  8. That_Random_Jedi Force Ghost

star 3
    Which of us are you talking to?
  9. RogueJediOutcast Jedi Master

star 4
    sorry jezz. I was just listening to them while you were geting whatever you were geting. :rolleyes:
  10. jedi-mudja Jedi Knight

3 light years? It takes Han three years to smuggle stuff? Damn, what a waste of time. I thought lightspeed actually meant you could there in hours.
  11. Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus

star 5
    When you are traveling faster than the speed of light, it takes less than a year. It probably took Han a week or so to do it.
  12. zillas_revenge2 Jedi Knight

star 1
    this is another thing Brian Aldiss has criticized without fully understanding it.
  13. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok here goes:

The Kessel Run takes pilots from Kessel, a desolate planet where the best spice in the galaxy is mined, past the Maw (a deadly multiple black hole system close to Kessel), through an asteroid belt (called "The Pit"), and along a bit more (I can't remember anything else ). What Han meant when he said that he made the trip in less than 12 parsecs was that he accomplished the trip in a shorter distance than what is usually recorded. He did this by using the Falcon's superior speed and navi-computer to allow him to skirt dangerously close to the mass shadows of the black holes in hyperspace, shaving off distance from his run.

Lucas actually discusses this on the DVD commentary:

Basically, he says that the better navigation computer you have, the shorter distance you can calculate to get from point A to point B without hitting any objects, which therefore allows your speed of arrival to be determined by the distance travelled and not the time to get there.
  14. Grand_Moff_Jawa Chosen One

star 5
    The real life answer is George Lucas didn't know a parsec was a measure of distance, not time. So, he used a cool sounding word and got called on it. A story was made up to cover it (there are many such cases) and everybody was happy.
  15. RogueJediOutcast Jedi Master

star 4
    Hay I do that all the time! :D
  16. GarthSidious Jedi Knight

star 1
    the real REAL answer is that none of this makes sense becuase it is impossible to travel the speed of light, and surely not faster than light, however if you could it would seem that you would actually travel backward in time which would screw everything up. if you could travel equal to the speed of light, it would take exactly 0 seconds to travel a light year or any distance at all from the point of view of the person travelling, however it would take 1 year to the people watching from being "at rest." both of these scenarios are impossible though. maybe if you could travel 99.99% the speed of light, you would feel like it would take a few minutes to travel a light year and back, but someone at home would wait just over two years for you to return. you would have missed a lot in your time away and would not have aged as much as the people at home, making things very awkward. the point is if someone made the kessel run at close to the speed of light (because that is the only possibility), they would return in what felt to them like a very short period, probably a few hours, but 36 years would have passed to anyone else. (1 parsec = 3 light years times 12 parsecs). if you actually could travel faster than the speed of light, it would be even stranger. if han travelled twice the speed of light, people at home would think it took 18 years (half of 36) for him to make the kessel run, however he would think it took -18 years (he would be 18 years younger). this makes no sense which is why it is impossible to travel faster than light. basically the point of this whole thing is that there is no logical way to explain the kessel run because it is a physical impossibility. so just deal with it.

it would have been better if lucas explained it like this:

hyperdrive on a starship warps space to make the distance between two places shorter. this is a scientific possibility assuming the energy it takes to do this does not cause a black hole or a wormhole or some kind of massive gravity well. so there you have it. the starship with the best hyperdrive makes the shortest distance. this still makes no sense, though, becuause han is still traveling 36 light years which would take a very long amount of time for anyone at rest and very short for him. han should've said "its the ship that made the kessel run in less than 12 miles." now thats a powerful hyperdrive! that would eliminate all the physical problems, except for the fact that that much energy would probably destroy the universe.

*sigh*
    i guess there's just no realistic way to travel the stars
  17. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
    Dude it's a movie, SW pyhsics is different to our own
  18. GarthSidious Jedi Knight

star 1
    well admit its still fun to apply real physics and you would enjoy my post (if you actually read the whole thing). i just considered this an opportunity to compare star wars physics to real physics, however note that it does not bother me in any way that star wars defies physics.
  19. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
    Ummmmmm i did read your whole post

"Assumptions are the mother of all f*** ups"
  20. GarthSidious Jedi Knight

star 1
    i sense a douche in the force (solo77)

i wasnt assuming i was just referring to the fact that my post was a bit long and a boring block of text, i probably would not have read the whole thing if i saw it sitting there.

so it appears you are the one assuming.

therefore you have officially gained the title of f***up.
  21. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
    Woah dude settle down, i have been in agreement with you in the past (chosen one, and start of this post).

Your previuos post, implied that i did not read it in it's entireity.....a bold statement to say the least.

The direct flaming of myself is not warranted and i suggest you read the TOS.
  22. Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Master

star 4
    thanks for that information...i was not sure on it.. :)
  23. GarthSidious Jedi Knight

star 1
    sorry you gotta realize everything i post is light-hearted my insults are supposed to be funny and over intelligent-sounding like something that would be followed by "YOU JUST GOT BURNED!" but i think i just realized they don't usually come off that way probably because its just in text and it is impossible to deduce tone.

SOLO77: apology accepted captain GarthSidious

GARTHSIDIOUS: (choking) eh.....eh......h........
  24. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
    Sweet as.

"Hearing your neck snap, brings warm feelings to my heart" :p
  25. DS615 Jedi Master

star 4
    Dude it's a movie, SW pyhsics is different to our own

No they're not. Stop saying that.

You're an engineer, it shouldn't be difficult for you to work things out from the films. Force, mass, and energy formulas all work out right.

In fact, there are a number of sites where engineers like yourself have done just that.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.