main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It makes me cry... anyone else feel the same?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Tom_Tom_Binks, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom_Tom_Binks

Tom_Tom_Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2001
    I don't know about anyone else but do you feel sad, annoyed or whatever when you look at your old Decipher CCG binders full of thousands of pounds worth of cards and now realise they're all worthless?

I spent an absolute fortune on the buggers and now they're not even worth the card they're printed on.

I didn't even collect them for the money, I really enjoyed it but the whole thing just went silly. Too many cards too soon and too many cards that were too hard to get. Up to a point I had EVERY SINGLE CARD ever released but then I went away for a year and when I came back I was too far behind to catch up.

Good point: It saved me a shedload of cash because I didn't collect the later sets.

Bad point: The earlier cards I collected are irrelevant because I haven't got a complete set.

Anyway... even if I did have a complete set, when Decipher lost the license the whole thing went a bit tits up anyway.

I don't know what the point of this post was but it's been on my chest for a long time and wanted to share the grief.

Thanks for listening. ;)

2. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Well as long as you have people to play against and still have fun with, they are still worth something to you.

I thik=nk its time for you to start playin TCG.

3. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I don't know why you think they are worthless. You can now complete your sets, buy many duplicates of your favorite cards, all at a low cost. Then just find someone to play with and keep playing.

4. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    Yeah, you're right; they're worthless.. But If it makes you feel any better, you can just ship them to me, and I'll take them off your hands for you..;)

Honestly, though I doubt they're really worthless, take a look at THIS. That collection has nothing more recent than Endor, and it's currently over $350. Or if you even have just a BB set of Premiere, it could still go for a lot. Take a look around eBay, I seriously doubt your collection is worthless.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    They're only worthless if you want them to be.

6. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Well said bib... i think..

Youll be fine, as long as you got someone to play against, im playin both games and noone i know has em, i have to lend people my decks

7. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    Hey, I was just wondering; Everyone is assuming he's a player, when he said nothing about playing, just that he had a 'complete collection'. So I'm wondering, are you a player, collector, or both?

8. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Who even need someone else to play with. If you have a complete collection then you have an endless variety of situations to "playtest" against yourself. Game cards are never useless, even if a game isn't being made anymore.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    If you have the cards, there's no reason not to be a player as well as a collector.

10. Jedi_Benji

Oct 2, 2002
    Well im a collector and not a player, and its only caus i got noone to play against

11. ninjapheret

ninjapheret Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    I feel the same.

Just last night I pulled out all my old boxes and decks to look at em. Even took apart my DS deck to make it a Hoth invasion type thingy. I've got tons of mains and whatnot, and I've been playing since Premiere first came out in 1995. I've always loved it and it DOES make me sad that it's gone.

Is TCG any good? The whole setup looks wierd...and I hate how it comes in packs that are plastic sealed to cardboard backs that hang on shelves in wal mart. Is it good tho, worth buying enough to get into it?? What's the cost of em? Similar?

I wish more people still played. I can't find many people at ALL, and am trying to get a few friends to actually play.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I personally don't think the game is any good at all, but I may be biased. Interest in SWTCG is dying off fairly quickly, judging by the sales in my local area. Keep that in mind if you want to get into the game; you might buy a bunch of the cards and find out that no one else in your area plays.

13. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    If all else fails, you still have you, yourself and you (couldn't think of a word for I :) ) to play a game against. If you find it weird, well I have found that it is the best way to learn how to play. To sound philosophical and what not: "Once you can master yourself, you can master anything and what not." :p

14. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    For some people, playing against thermselves may be the only way to find decent opposition :p

There's always playing online via IRC or other chat.

15. Tom_Tom_Binks

Tom_Tom_Binks Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2001
    Even though I have played a few games I was mainly a collector. As I said, not for the money but for the enjoyment and I'm big into all the useless quirky details on the cards and got a large amount of satisfaction from just looking at them and presenting them nicely in a binder.

I enjoyed the game but my main focus was collecting. When an expansion came out I'd buy two boxes, trade or buy the remaining rares and that would be that. I never liked playing with my own cards for fear of damage. Also, because I'd stop buying when I had a set I'd never have more than one copy of a main which made my own playdecks weak.

I'm a dream world I would have loved to have got into playing the game big time, but I just couldn't afford it. I was only about sixteen/seventeen at the time.

16. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Is TCG any good? The whole setup looks wierd...and I hate how it comes in packs that are plastic sealed to cardboard backs that hang on shelves in wal mart. Is it good tho, worth buying enough to get into it?? What's the cost of em? Similar?

The answer to that question is in the eye of the beholder....

Most people that were really, really into the CCG do not like it very much. Quite a few casual players of the CCG do like it however. But most of the player base for the game seems to be people that did not play the CCG. In fact, the most common thing I hear from TCG players is that they bought the CCG and either didn't understand the rules or didn't want to bother to.

I have to disagree with Bib that it is dying off. It might appear that way but it is actually just having a tough time taking off in this economy and in the SW card game flooded market. It is like a car starting that is coughing and sputtering, and is on the brink of running smoothly and taking off.

While sales are dropping off, part of this is because they overproduced the first sets and you can buy 36 card booster boxes at about $34, so a lot of retail stores are not selling many packs. The latest set, A New Hope, is a nice set, but right now you don't need it and can build a good deck without it. When Battle of Yavin comes out in a few months, it will enhance the New Hope set and make it more desirable to run these cards. Also, in July another expansion called Jedi Gurdians is coming out.

As for the packs at WalMart, that is just part of it. You can buy 11 card packs at regular card game stores, just like the CCG. Prices are about the same overall.

So to answer your question, I think it is fun and strategic, but it is really not the same as the CCG, and appeals on a different level. It is a simple based game with pretty simple rules, and then you come up with ways to make it fun by building a deck that is strategic and even complicated, or you just build a fun deck and have fun. To read more on it, read my article What is SWTCG?. I would encourage you to try it our for yourself.

17. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    In a sense, the cards are worthless.

I used to play, then quit, then came back and became a collector. I didn't have time to play nor was I that good. I still collect through trading.

I will never get the money I spent on it back if I were to sell the cards. In that sense, the cards are worthless.

But I enjoyed the game and still enjoy collecting. I won't spend money on it anymore though. I've also met some really special people because of sw:ccg. In that sense the cards are not worthless to me.

18. Anakin_Solo73

Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    Bacabachaui, do you know if there are any plans for creating an EU and/or a New Jedi Order set for the TCG?

19. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    They have the rights to the EU and have said they will be making EU cards, but I think it is a ways off becasue they will be working thrugh most or all of the movies. There was some talk of "getting our feet wet" with EU characters sometime this year , so maybe we'll see 1 or 2 this year. I personally would love to see a NJO expansion, and they could be nuetral. But the NJO is so contraversial, it may not happen. IMHO, it would be awesome!

20. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    I usually play against myself. None of my freinds get into playing the game. They would rather play a video game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.