main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga It Makes My Dome Hurt:R2 Remembers ANH-CONCLUDED! Updated 01/17/09!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin_Solo

Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    A nice couple of updates! =D==D= I liked R2's comment about the others being late:

Every minute we waited brought us closer to being discovered. It was never a good idea to waiting in one place in enemy territory. They said they would be only a minute. They weren't.

That was because Han tried to play the hero. [face_frustrated] Nice to see that even a droid was impressed by the Kenobi/Vader fight:

Droids don't gasp, but if I could have I would have. Kenobi, his blue lightsaber ignited, was locked in combat with Darth Vader.

It was also good to see that he wondered how Luke survived the stormtroopers' fire:

That got his attention, but it didn't get him to turn around and return to the ship. He began blasting stormtroopers. It was amazing; amazing that he wasn't killed.

[face_laugh]

This bit, about how he understood the impact Kenobi's death had on Luke, is my favourite:

"Shut up, Goldie," I retorted. "I'm talking about more than being owned. Luke has no family left. He's on his own. He will need us."

"I imagine he will. I have been advocating taking a more active role in his life since you ran off into the desert."

"C-3PO, sometimes you need to stop talking and listen. Friendship is not intrusive or demanding. Luke needs our H-E-L-P, not an overbearing mother-type. I think he's already has his fill of an overbearing father type."

"Don't be rude, Artoo-Deetoo. I understood what you said. I agree completely."

I wasn't sure he did, but I left it there, hoping there would be plenty off time to discuss it later.

I loved that! =D=[face_laugh] I also liked R2's assessment of Han:

Captain Solo was not winning any friends, but as he was so fond of saying, he wasn?t looking for any. It was kind of sad. As Kenobi had said, Solo was capable. I don?t know if he was worth trying to convince; his cockiness was somewhere between valid and dangerous.

Too bad Han isn't interested in his opinion:

I rolled over to Solo who still stood just behind his favorite chair. He looked down at me sympathetically, hoping that I would commiserate with him. I did not. I told him what I thought.

?Artoo is not happy with you, Captain Solo,? Goldie began to translate. ?He thinks you are selfish, arrogant, and most of all ignorant.?

?Who?s asked you?? Solo barked, heading back to the cockpit.

Good! [face_laugh] I'm really looking forward to seeing what R2 makes of the Battle of Yavin! [face_dancing] I'm wondering, brodiew, if you're thinking of also doing Episodes V-VI. If you do, I'll certainly read them! [face_peace]

2. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Another spectacular update, brodiew! I really loved seering those in between scenes that weren't in the movie, and I also loved the little extended arguement between Han, Leia and Luke. And C-3PO's translation of Artoo's comments were hilarious. Great job, can't wait for more! =D=

3. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    You continue to amaze me brodiew. My goodness, this was the best missing scene ever. I can so see this happening exactly as you say without screwing with the movie at all. Bravo!=D=

Poor Han, he can't catch a break...yet. Pretty soon his true colors will show and though R2 will be out of it I have to wonder how he'll react when 3PO tells him how the battle ends. But we still have the battle to go. Looking forward to seeing R2's temporary black out and his recovery.

Oh and btw, I watch ANH all the time. You can never get enough of this classic.

And ditto to what Darth_Drachonus said. You are the man to rewrite these movies from the Droid's POV. I'm just saying. [face_whistling]

4. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    That may have been my favorite update yet!

That was a nice scene between Han, Leia, and Luke. Very well done! =D=

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    A/N: Thank you all for being patient and continuing to support this fic. The end is just around the corner. I have never enjoyed writing space battles. It is a weakness of mine. So please forgive me in advance for the rather stale summarization of the Battle of Yavin. Other than that, please enjoy this penultimate chapter in this year+ saga.

A hasty plan was devised and I watched as General Dodanna gave the mission briefing. Many of the pilots looked on in horrified awe as the overwhelmingly difficult nature of their mission was presented.

It wasn?t long before Captain Solo was voicing his concerns and other pilots grumbled in agreement.

?That's impossible, even for a computer,? said one pilot, sitting next to Luke.

?It's not impossible,? Luke replied with assurance. ?I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters.?

There was something infectious about his youthful confidence. He wasn?t scared; and I don?t mean that in the cowardly sense. Sometimes a healthy fear, or, at least, respect for an enemy can help one make wiser choices. There was an abandon about him; something untamed, yet very good.

The briefing ended and the base became an ordered chaos as pilots, technicians, and officers prepared to launch the attack.

I was carted from the briefing room to where Luke?s X-Wing fighter rested. During the short trip I saw Luke talking to Captain Solo. He didn?t look happy. Solo was leaving and Luke didn?t like it. Neither did I really. The Rebellion could use a good pilot like him.

I was offloaded from the cart and then lifted above the fighter for placement in the socket behind the cockpit. From my aerial view, I saw Luke approach with a dark haired man. They appeared to know each other and were very excited to see each other again.

?I've got to get aboard,? His friend said, excitedly. ?Listen, you'll tell me your stories when we come back. All right??

?I told you I'd make it someday, Biggs,? Luke said, beaming with pride.

?You did, all right. It's going to be like old times, Luke. We're a couple of shooting stars that'll never be stopped!?

After his friend left, Luke turned to our fighter and looked up as I was being lowered into the socket. The droid technician mentioned something about me being a little worse for ware, which was true, but Luke would have no talk of another droid. We had been through a lot together and it meant a lot for him to trust me with his life in this situation.

C-3PO appeared at the nose of our fighter to see us off.

?Hang on tight, Artoo, you've got to come back,? he said in a worried tone.

?Don?t worry about me, C-3PO,? I replied. ?I?m with Luke. We?ll be fine.?

?You wouldn't want my life to get boring, would you??

?I?ll tell you all about it, over an oil bath, when we get back,? I said.

Strangely, I was not surprised to hear the words come out of me. I was not afraid, if such a thing is possible for a droid. I somehow knew that being with Luke, in this very situation, was the safest place I could be.

When we exited the atmosphere, there was no missing the Death Star. It hung in space like dull, pocked, ball bearing. It was menacing enough, if only because bad parts can kill a droid.

Red Leader came over the com, having all wings check in. We were Red Five. I modulated our shields to double front and prepared the other systems for the attack.

Luke wasted no time diving for the surface. But, as he blasted away with his lasers, he dove too sharply. My voice blended with other Rogues in a panicked plea for him to pull up. He was making multiple hits and doing good damage as I imagined him wrenching on the yolk top pull of his dive.

I like think I can take heat when necessary, but flames licking my dome, is a little too close for comfort.

?I got a little cooked, but I?m ok,? Luke said, tightly, as if already concentrating on his next move.

It takes us only moments to regroup and prepare for another run. This time we would be providing cover f

6. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Wonderful job, brodie! You did it!

I love the special flavor R2's commentary adds to this well-known battle. Such as this:

I have to admit I was surprised to see him so focused. He was ripped from a life of relative simplicity and thrust into a much larger galaxy. To tell you the truth I shouldn?t have been surprised at all. From the moment we left Tatooine, Luke as focused, determined, and optimistic. That last part could be infectious; as it was now.

And you end the chappie.....with a cliffhangar. You're just lucky I know how this story ends. :p

It took awhile, but you conquered your fear, and wrote this chapter. Well done! =D=

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, what a cliffie. You caught Artoo and Luke perfectly :* Hugs!!

8. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Oh! So well done!! [face_dancing] I never would've known writing space battles is your weakness. I think it's mine though. [face_blush] I love hearing Artoo's perspective on the whole movie.[face_love] He's a wise little droid. I can't wait for the celebration scene! You should do his perspective on ESB and ROTJ too! You're so good at it!
    Excellent! Hugs!![:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

9. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You may not LIKE writing space battles, but you did a great job of it! :D

=D=

10. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I only came across this story now, but I love it! I really like how you've portrayed Artoo's view, it's so in-character! I love his observations on the events and other characters. He's a clever one.

Can you PM me when you update, please?

11. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    A hasty plan was devised and I watched as General Dodanna gave the mission briefing. Many of the pilots looked on in horrified awe as the overwhelmingly difficult nature of their mission was presented.

That's one way to put it! [face_laugh]

I really enjoyed seeing the battle of Yavin from Artoo's eyes and I can't wait for thie ending of this amazking story. Wonderful update! =D= =D=

12. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    You know what I like most about this story? That you're incorporating the prequals, making me actually tolerate them.

I affected repairs while Luke was juking and jinking every which way. I hadn?t been in the heart of a battle like this since...The Chancellor?s kidnapping. Oh, to fly again. I guess this is close enough.

That was the last battle he flew in, wasn't it? Great tie in.

I still like R2's observations here.

And the ending was spot on.

Great job, as always.

13. Kevin_Solo

Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    It's great to see this update!:D=D= I've always wanted to see what someone would make of the Battle of Yavin from R2's point of view![face_mischief]

I liked his view on Han leaving:

During the short trip I saw Luke talking to Captain Solo. He didn?t look happy. Solo was leaving and Luke didn?t like it. Neither did I really. The Rebellion could use a good pilot like him.

:)

My favourite bit was his version of this well-known exchange:

C-3PO appeared at the nose of our fighter to see us off.

?Hang on tight, Artoo, you've got to come back,? he said in a worried tone.

?Don?t worry about me, C-3PO,? I replied. ?I?m with Luke. We?ll be fine.?

Strangely, I was not surprised to hear the words come out of me. I was not afraid, if such a thing is possible for a droid. I somehow knew that being with Luke, in this very situation, was the safest place I could be.

So that's what he said in response to 3PO...[face_thinking]:D

I liked R2's description of the Death Star:

When we exited the atmosphere, there was no missing the Death Star. It hung in space like dull, pocked, ball bearing. It was menacing enough, if only because bad parts can kill a droid.

Nice!:)

So he also asked Luke to be careful!

My voice blended with other Rogues in a panicked plea for him to pull up. He was making multiple hits and doing good damage as I imagined him wrenching on the yolk top pull of his dive.

I like think I can take heat when necessary, but flames licking my dome, is a little too close for comfort.

You were entitled to be worried there, R2![face_laugh]

Nice to see a reference to his past memories:

I hadn?t been in the heart of a battle like this since...The Chancellor?s kidnapping. Oh, to fly again. I guess this is close enough.

Quite a contrast to 3PO, who can't stand space travel.:D

I liked his assessment of Luke here:

I have to admit I was surprised to see him so focused. He was ripped from a life of relative simplicity and thrust into a much larger galaxy. To tell you the truth I shouldn?t have been surprised at all. From the moment we left Tatooine, Luke as focused, determined, and optimistic. That last part could be infectious; as it was now.

Good!:)

I (and everyone else here) knew that this would happen:

He said he was "all right" and left it that. I'm sure there were Rebels shaking in their boots for a few moments.

Over our internal com, I asked: ?Do you mind telling me your p-?

Everything went black.

Despite this, I was still taken aback.:eek: It must say something about your writing, brodiew, that I felt this way. Well done![face_peace]

14. Ocelotl_Nesto

Ocelotl_Nesto Jedi Master star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    Just read the whole thing-- a fun topic. I always wondered what R2 thought in the trench run. What if he detected the transponder from Vaders ship. I kinda wondered if he could have fooled with Vaders targeting system. He would remember Anakins codes and caused some mayhem with the ship if he had half a chance.

Look forward to seeing R2 getting polished and upgraded.

15. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    Excellent. Simply excellent. I still believe you should do the entire Saga from R2's point of view, it'd be fantastic!

16. Jedi_Lady21

Jedi_Lady21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2006
    The space battle was written great!
    It was great to see it from R2's POV.
    Great update!:)

17. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Thanks for the PM.

Great update! I love all the little details you include from Artoo's point of view.
    =D=

18. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Great update as usual.

:p Loved the little glimpse into what R2?s response was to Threepio!

I affected repairs while Luke was juking and jinking every which way. I hadn?t been in the heart of a battle like this since...The Chancellor?s kidnapping. Oh, to fly again.

Again, this was a wonderful bit of insight into R2?s thoughts - wistful, despite being in the heat of battle. :p

19. Alpha_264

Alpha_264 Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2007
    Nice. Just read through your updates to R2 and I love it, could we get the rest of the saga as well please?

20. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    It has been awhile since I have come on to read, but this continues to be the one I have the most pleasure in the process. Thanks for the updates.

21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    :oops: It has been almost a year since my last update and that is greatly embarassing to me. So many of you followed this story faithfully and I never was able to to put the final piece together. Well, after much ado about nothing, it has been completed. The final chapter of 'Dome' is here. I hope the wait has been worth it. I now have great satisfaction in completing my first epic. LOL. Thank you all so very much. [:D]

There have been suggestions that I continue the saga from R2's perspective. I giving that some consideration now that this part is complete. You may, very soon see ESB from R2's POV. :)

ZZZZZZZZZ ?-Strong little-?ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ??You must-?ZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    ?-Couldn?t have-?ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

?Hello! Hello!? I tried, feeling the surge of energy flowing through my circuits. It felt like I was dormant forever.

A series of surges occurred, each one stronger than the last. I have to say that being poked, prodded, shocked, and torqued is not my idea of fun. But I imagine a head injury is no fun for a human either.

I wonder what happened to Luke. The princess? Goldie is probably still standing right next to her laying out the long odds of our survival. But, did they survive? All I know is that Luke is alive. Do I really know that? At, least the X-Wing is still in one piece.

Finally, the juice started flowing continuously and all circuits were connected appropriately. It felt wonderful to be fully functional again.

Opening my eye, I saw Luke and Goldine standing behind a grease covered man whose hands were still on my Dome.

?It?s nice to have you back, R2,? Luke said smiling broadly. ?It looked pretty bad when they removed you from my X-Wing.?

?I was so worried, R2,? echoed C-3PO.

?It looked worse than it was,? said the dirty technician. ?This series is well built. They can take one heck of a lot of abuse and come out on the other side intact.?

?So what happened?!? I blurted in a series of gonks, bleeps, and an indignant whistle.

?I?ll let you tell him, Master Luke,? Goldie said, in an uncharacteristic show of deference. ?He is asking what happened.?

?Well, R2, we saved the day,? Luke said flatly. ?But if it weren?t for the last minute arrival of an old friend, I don?t know what would have happened.?

?Who?? I asked. ?Obi-Wan??

Goldie translated and Luke smiled at my assertion. ?No, Ben didn?t come back, but Han did. I don?t know what came over him, but he took out one of the TIEs and the explosion took another, forcing their leader to spin out of the trench. It gave me the opportunity to make my shot.?

?As I recall, you had deactivated your targeting computer,? I said, still curious. ?How did you make the shot??

?You were right about Ben in a sense,? Luke said, looking older than when he entered the battle. ?I heard his voice. He told me to use the Force. I had to ?let go? and trust my instincts.?

?A fine time to trust your new, untested skills,? I chided.

?Maybe,? he replied, quirking his lip, ?But, it worked. The Deathstar is no more. Alderaan is avenged.?

Letting out another derisive gonk, I said: ?A Jedi is not concerned about vengeance, Luke. What is important is that no other system will suffer the fate of Alderaan. Remember Ben?s words in the command center??

?You?re right, R2,? he said, knitting his brow as if unsure of why he said it. ?I don?t know why I said that.?

?The heat of battle puts things in our heads that normally wouldn?t be there. Think nothing of it. You are a hero, Luke. You saved the Rebellion to fight another day.?

?I guess so,? he replied. ?I think I?ll leave you two to catch up. Han and Leia will probably need a referee.?

With that, he left the room. I could tell he was changed yet again. So many changes. But I also sensed that his goodness and humility remained. Some heroes are forged in fire. The boy had been forged in all nine Correllian Hells.

I looked good standing on the dais in front of thousands of Rebel Troopers. Goldie looked good too. Who wo

22. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    With that, he left the room. I could tell he was changed yet again. So many changes. But I also sensed that his goodness and humility remained. Some heroes are forged in fire. The boy had been forged in all nine Correllian Hells.

Absolutely LOVED it! =D=

23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Concluded??? OH no you don't mister! Great piece of work with lovely characters all around!

So we're going to anxiously awake the next installment!

24. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    That was awesome!! :cool: Congrats on finishing and thanks for such a wonderful story!! :)@};-
    =D= =D==D==D=

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Super ending. Artoo's exchange with Luke--very profound ;) And I would love it if you did ESB & TOTJ also. [face_batting]

@};-

Hugs!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.