main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga It Makes My Dome Hurt:R2 Remembers ANH-CONCLUDED! Updated 01/17/09!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin_Solo

Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    It's great to read that you're back with this story, brodiew, this update being well worth the wait! [face_peace] =D=

Good to see that R2 recognises some good qualities in C3PO:

What happened next only goes to show that Goldie is not just a shiny translator. When the door to the supply closet opened and we were face to face with a squad of stormtroopers, Goldie stepped up. Waving his arms in the air, he exclaimed that Luke and Captain Solo were madmen and that they were headed to the prison level. This was true, but to our knowledge they were already on their way out of there.

[face_laugh]

Nice to see that R2 also shares the views of some fans about stormtroopers:

You never know what a stormtrooper is thinking. They all have the same dumb look on their faces. They must have taken the bait, because the majority of them left in pursuit. One trooper was left to guard the room. Goldie had another brilliant idea.

[face_laugh]

And as regards his views about the rest of his party:

The trooper nodded, and with that, we were on our way to the docking bay. However, when we reached the rendezvous point, our party had not yet arrived. Very typical of this entire operation.

:D

The best bit has to be R2's account of the garbage masher incident:

The jumbled, static, mess that came over the comlink was almost indecipherable. Luke seemed to be screaming hysterically. Goldie tried to break in, but Luke was insistent the he ?shut up and listen for a minute?. It took Goldie a moment to understand what Luke was saying. Finally, he instructed me to shut down all the garbage mashers in the detention level. I acted as quickly as I could and shut them all down. It appeared from the multiple screams we heard that we were too late.

?Listen to them, R2, they?re dying,? he moaned. ?Curse my metal body. I wasn?t fast enough.?

I don?t know why he was cursing himself. I was the one that wasn?t fast enough. Now Luke and Han, the Wookiee, and possibly the princess were dead. The painful cries died down a moment of dreadful silence hung ominously.

?3PO, we?re alright!? burst from the comlink.

What a relief. You may not be able to see emotion in a droid, but I can. Goldie almost fainted dead away. Luke affirmed that they were ok and disconnected for a few minutes. We waited.

That was great! =D= =D=

I also liked R2's wondering if Luke's interest in his and 3PO's safety was completely altruistic:

?Are you safe??

It felt good to know that Luke was wondered if we were safe, but he was probably just making sure that the plans in my dome were secure.

Nice one, R2! ;)

The end was good:

Again, we waited, not knowing that more blaster bolts were in our near future.

I wonder if this eventually gets published, perhaps as The Galactic Civil War: A Droid's Story? :) [face_thinking]

Again, it's good to have you back, brodiew.

2. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006

Again, we waited, not knowing that more blaster bolts were in our near future.

I am so glad that I checked my messages. I have been non existent on the boards, and this is one of the few things that I have read and enjoyed so much. Thank you for not keeping them in that trash compactor much longer. What a relief. :)

3. obsessedwithSW

obsessedwithSW Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    Are you safe??

It felt good to know that Luke was wondered if we were safe, but he was probably just making sure that the plans in my dome were secure.

I think Luke like Anakin always viewed R2 as a friend.
    Nice update Brodie. I cna relate with your abandonment issues. I havent had a creative bone in my body lately. Damned DRL.

4. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Sorry for the late reply. My time off for the season wasn't just from work - it was pretty much on the boards as well.

The update was fantastic as usual. I liked that Artoo gave Threepio props for his handling of the Stormtroopers' appearance.

Keep it up, brodiew!!

5. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    What a relief. You may not be able to see emotion in a droid, but I can. Goldie almost fainted dead away.

Poor C-3PO!! Too funny![face_laugh] I'm still totally loving this story, wonderful update as usual! =D=

6. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    I remember my brothers dying in battle around me?

Aww, poor Artoo. I guess those droids would have been his friends, wouldn't they? Who knows what conversations they would have together, while waiting to be put to use. Oh no, plot bunnies! *hides*

Luke will be scouring the desert looking for me. I?m sure C-3PO is right at his side bad mouthing me as usual.

Haha! Yep, that sounds like Threepio. He's such a nag. :rolleyes:

I really have no time for worrying about the needs of local teen. The fate of the galaxy rests on me getting this message delivered. The princess was desperate or she wouldn?t have given me the information in the first place. The least I could do is get it to her intended recipient.

No pressure or anything...

It was that look that popped the niggle and opened my memory circuits. The beard, the eyes, the thoughtful, regal bearing. Obi-wan Kenobi! Of course! We saved the children?Luke (!) and Leia (!) How could I forget?

This looks like the perfect opportunity for a smiley I've never used before: [face_idea]

He and Luke talked about the weather, which was a short convesation, considering it was always hot and dry on Tatooine.
    [face_laugh] That made me laugh.

I?m going to have to keep tabs on the guy to make sure he doesn?t stray too far from what really happened.
    Artoo and Obi have trust issues. :p

Kenobi tried to console him, though he used words that weren?t very encouraging. I don?t know about you, but if my ?parents? just died, I wouldn?t find it hopeful to know that I would have died as well.

Ha ha! Good point, Artoo.

They were quite good, and would do well if they ever moved beyond Tatooine.

I guess it all depends on taste. [face_sick]

?I?m glad to know we?re finally on the same page,? I said.

[face_laugh] It was cool to read what a complete conversation between Threepio and Artoo would be like.

?Don?t all thank me at once,? he said, falling into an unoccupied chair, annoyed that no one was paying attention to him. He must have forgotten that we were paying him much more than he deserved to taxi us to a nearby system.

Indeed. Touche, Artoo.

?Oh, thank goodness,? he said. ?That rattling was doing terrible things to my wiring.?

For a split second I thought that said 'whining'! [face_laugh]

?They have a shot,? I replied, stoically. Ok, it was a long shot, in fact, it probably wouldn?t work, but why worry about it?

*snicker* So this is the kind of thing he thinks. Good to know. [face_thinking]

I love reading the banter between R2 and C-3PO. It's great, and not something I've ever seen before.

The missing scenes you added in there are fun, too.

This is an awesome fic. It's funny, entertaining, informative. =D= I can't wait to read more.

7. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Jade_eyes: Thanks for reading, Jade. I'm glad you enjoyed the update.

Darth_Drachonus: I take that to mean you liked it, Darth D. You are added.

dancing_star: Yeah, Goldie has his moments, though few and far between. Thanks for reading, star.

David_Skywalker01: Thanks for staying on board, David. I appreciate it.

VaderLVR64: Thanks for reading, Kim. I¡¦m on track to the finish. For real this time.

Lola64: Hey Dawn! Thanks for reading as usual. If this fic can inspire people to watch ANH again, my job is complete!

Kevin_Solo: Thanks so much for the well thought out response, Kevin. I appreciate it. Stormtrooper are menacing in groups, but pretty silly looking individually. Thanks again.

Araxie: Welcome back, Araxie. I'm glad you're glad I'm back. Or something. :)

obsessedwithSW: Thank you, Sharon. I agree completely. And I say so from Artoo perspective in this next post.

BigE: Thanks, BigE. Artoo doesn't give those compliments ofter, nor does the sentiment last very long as you will see. Thanks again.

LilyHobbitJedi: Thank you for reading, Lily. Artoo knows his friend. But isn¡¦t Goldie always one breath away from fainting?

Meredith_Kenobi: Thanks for catching up with this fic, master. My R2 is a bit of a stoic wit, beginning to see the hope that Luke represents. I appreciate your help and encouragement. Plus, I¡¦m glad you enjoyed it.

Updated PM list:

DarthIshtar
    Lola64
    92SE-R
    BigE
    obsessedwithSW
    Rhodna
    Vaderlvr64
    VA_Parky
    divapilot
    Jade_Eyes
    AnakinsFavorite
    Shahar
    David_Skywalker01
    Araxie
    Noelie
    LilyHobbitJedi
    Jedi_Lady21
    starpwner1211
    Blue_Milkshake
    Tatooine_Ghost
    dancing_star
    Alpha_264
    Beta-Commando
    Darth_Drachonus

Another post so soon? No, I'm not kidding. This fic is truly on track for a finish. Not to mention that the story is almost over. :p Please enjoy as the gang finally escapes the Deathstar.

Every minute we waited brought us closer to being discovered. It was never a good idea to waiting in one place in enemy territory. They said they would be only a minute. They weren't. Goldie and I watched the entry ramp of the Millennium Falcon, hoping for an opportunity to get quickly aboard. Finally, the opportunity arrived. The squad of stormtroopers guarding the ship suddenly ran off to the right as if something important was happening. Normally I might be curios, but I really wanted to get off the space station.

As we entered the bay, I saw Solo, Luke, and the Princess entering from another corridor. We were all in hurry.

Following Goldie, I swiveled my dome to see what had gotten the attention of the troopers. Droids don't gasp, but if I could have I would have. Kenobi, his blue lightsaber ignited, was locked in combat with Darth Vader.

When Luke saw them, he stopped, as if hitting an invisible wall. He looked surprised, yet mystified. Like me, I'm sure he was wondering what was going on.

I saw Kenobi cut down and I heard Luke scream. It was a scream of desperation and disbelief. I couldn't believe it either. When Obi-Wan saw Luke, he raised his blade is resignation and allowed Vader to kill him. There had to be a reason. But, for the moment, it seemed senseless.

Luke's scream alerted the stromtroopers, and Vader, to our escape. They began firing at us. Luke stood out in the open, stunned. The Princess yelled for him to come on. That got is attention, but it didn't get him to turn around and return to the ship. He began blasting stormtroopers. It was amazing; amazing that he wasn't killed.

I was already on board and getting locked in when Luke entered the common area. He was breathing hard, but his face drawn and sad. I think this was the first time I saw him as a man. The boy was gone. I think the realization that there was no one else to take care of him was settling in. He would have to take care of himself from now on.

Princess Leia tried to comfort him, but I've heard that grief is s

8. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    "C-3PO, sometimes you need to stop talking and listen. Friendship is not intrusive or demanding. Luke needs our H-E-L-P, not an overbearing mother-type. I think he's already has his fill of an overbearing father type."

You tell him Artoo! My goodness, I find myself loving that droid more all the time. I really liked seeing his view on Obi-Wan's death and the escape from the Death Star. Great update! =D= =D=

9. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    You got this update done fast, Brodie! Bravo!! =D=

"C-3PO, sometimes you need to stop talking and listen. Friendship is not intrusive or demanding. Luke needs our H-E-L-P, not an overbearing mother-type. I think he's already has his fill of an overbearing father type."

Artoo does a great job helping Luke, too. He becomes a very good friend. :) He also seems to be able to read human emotions much better than Threepio, a quality that you find in the movies as well. I think you did a good job portraying that in this, while deepening the fact even further with this conversation.

Wonderful update. =D=

10. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    "I'm talking about more than being owned. Luke has no family left. He's on his own. He will need us."

Aw. I always liked that Artoo.

Great updates!

11. Jedi_Lady21

Jedi_Lady21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2006
    What a Great surprise to see the New updates!

Great updates! :)

12. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    "I know Artoo," he replied sadly. "Poor Master Luke."

"Yeah, Luke is going to need us now more than ever."

He turned and looked at me, with that arrogant tilt of his gold plated head.

"Artoo, are you beginning to realize that he is our master now? It has taken you far too long to come around to the idea."

"Shut up, Goldie," I retorted. "I'm talking about more than being owned. Luke has no family left. He's on his own. He will need us."

Aww, Artoo![face_love] That little droid seems to have feelings, along with being quite wise.
    Excellent update, brodie! :D
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great update. Artoo came across very sensitively and insightfully ;) =D=

14. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Yay, two updates! Thanks for the PM's.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi is dead," I said with a heavy "kerrr-zonk".
    "I know Artoo," he replied sadly. "Poor Master Luke."
    "Artoo, are you beginning to realize that he is our master now? It has taken you far too long to come around to the idea."
    "Shut up, Goldie," I retorted. "I'm talking about more than being owned. Luke has no family left. He's on his own. He will need us."

I just gotta say once again how much I love these droids.[:D] You've got them spot-on!

15. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004

"I imagine he will. I have been advocating taking a more active role in his life since you ran off into the desert."

You tell him Artoo! :D

=D=

16. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Yes, an update! [face_dancing]

Loved it brodiew. And yes, you're in the home stretch for this one. Then we'll have a finished fic party before moving on to RA. :)

I was already on board and getting locked in when Luke entered the common area. He was breathing hard, but his face drawn and sad. I think this was the first time I saw him as a man. The boy was gone. I think the realization that there was no one else to take care of him was settling in. He would have to take care of himself from now on.

Poor Luke. :( He's been orphaned twice in the story now.

Princess Leia tried to comfort him, but I've heard that grief is something humans like to suffer alone.

R2 understands humans very well.

I could see that the Princess was discouraged as well. Kenobi's loss was a heavy blow. But, for now, her concern was consoling Luke.

Kenobi's loss was heavy blow. I don't know what else to say. I liked the man. I always did. Perhaps, now, Luke needs that friendship.

I think you did great on this part with R2's mechanical empathy. And I love how R2 resolves to be that friend Luke needs, at least as much of a friend as a droid could be. And he's done a pretty good job all the years after.

The quiet somberness of the moment was blown from the room as Captain Solo rushed in.

"Come on, buddy, we're not out of this yet," he declared.

I'm going to watch this movie tonight too. I just get in the mood everytime I read this.

Yeah, I know. I have issues.:p

17. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I love these updates! You're right, it didn't last long, and for good reason.

Threepio knows over 6 million forms of communication...and Artoo is still left wondering if he gets it!

"Don't be rude, Artoo-Deetoo. I understood what you said. I agree completely."

I wasn't sure he did, but I left it there, hoping there would be plenty off time to discuss it later.

:rolleyes: :p

18. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    LilyHobbitJedi: Thank you for reading, Lily. I?m glad R2 continues to endear himself to you.

Meredith_Kernobi: Artoo will be a friend to Luke, but it?s taken him some time to get around to it.

Divapilot: Thanks, divapilot. I?m glad R2 is still making you smile.

Jedi_Lady21: thank you, Jedi_Lady21. I appreciate you returning to this fic. I?m glad you enjoyed it.

Dancing_Star: Thanks, star. R2 is a wise one. He cares, but, like Han he has to dig for it sometimes.

Jade_eyes: Thank you, Jade.

Blue_Milkshake: It?s good to have you back, Blue. I?m glad you enjoyed it.

Vaderlvr64: Thanks for reading, Kim. Yeah, though Goldie is a protocol droid, he a lesson in bedside manner?or graveside manner as it were.

Lola64: You mean you haven?t watched it yet! I?m glad this updated has sparked that action. Or has it? Thank you for reading, Dawn. I always appreciate your support. Artoo is empathetic. He understands more than he?s given credit for. It?s time he became the friend Luke needs. On to the space battle! EEEK!

BigE: Thanks, BigE. You incites are always a joy. Yeah, Goldie is definitely more droid than R2. That?s why the even each other out so well. 3PO wants R2 to be more like a droid and R2 wants 3PO to be more human.

The princess and the captain entered the common area arguing about whether or not the Imperials had let us go.

?If they knew what was stashed in Artoo?s brain, and were determined to get it back, they would have sent more than three Tie-fighters,? the princess said.

?Even so, there?s no tracking device on this ship, Your Highness,? Solo replied confidently.

?This ship is so old that your sensors can?t pick up the technology,? she retorted.

?If you are so sure that they let us go, and that they are following us, what would be your next step??

There is no choice,? she said, somberly. ?We have to return to base in the Yavin system.?

?Why would you do that?? Luke asked. ?That station will blow it to bits!?

?I know, Luke,? Leia said. ?But, this entire mission was about getting the station schematics. We have to find a weakness.?

?Can?t we just hide out for a while and find the transmitter, before heading back to base??

?That?s a good idea, Luke. But with the battle station operational, other systems will be destroyed if we don?t act immediately.?

?That?s a mighty big risk, if you ask me,? Solo interjected. ?Betting the whole Rebellion on the chance that a weakness can be found and exploited, before they find us??

?I thought you didn?t care,? Luke and Leia said in unison, turning to Solo.

?I don?t,? he shot back. ?But I know a bad bet when I see one. As long as I get paid and get out of there before doomsday, I?ll be a happy man.?

That comment seemed to get everyone?s attention. Leia?s gaze turned from resigned to icy cold. Luke knitted his brow in frustration.

?It appears there is no hope??

?I never said-?

?For you,? the Princess finished before turning and leaving the room.

Captain Solo was not winning any friends, but as he was so fond of saying, he wasn?t looking for any. It was kind of sad. As Kenobi had said, Solo was capable. I don?t know if he was worth trying to convince; his cockiness was somewhere between valid and dangerous.

?What the stars was that, Han?? Luke said, frustrated.

?The truth, Kid. I?m sorry if it?s too much for you.?

?Are you trying to alienate us??

?You?d have to mean something to me for me to make that kind of effort. Don?t forget, Kid, this is job for me. Nothing else.?

?I get it,? Luke said, soflty, staring at the bulkhead. He did not meet Solo?s eyes as he left the common area as well.

I rolled over to Solo who still stood just behind his favorite chair. He looked down at me sympathetically, hoping that I would commiserate with him. I did not. I told him what I thought.

?Artoo is not happy with you, Captain Solo,? Goldie began to translate. ?He thinks you are selfish, arrogant, and m

19. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    Excellent post. And I know your creativity was suffering, but I do have a serious question: Why not do this exact thing for the entire Saga? Sure, you've started with Star Wars. But you could also do the other five with no issue, and it would be awesome. I'd love to know it all from R2's PoV, and you my friend are doing superb with it

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    You've got Han's "I don't care a lick what you think of me" attitude down pat. [face_laugh] He's definitely gonna keep his distance LOL ;) But we all know a certain lovely's already gotten under his skin [face_shhh] [face_love] :)

21. Meredith_Kenobi

Jul 20, 2005
    Ha! You tell him, Artoo. [face_dancing]

Han was great in this chapter! His characterization was spot on.

And Luke's comment, ?Are you trying to alienate us??, I thought that was sweet. [face_love] And so like him. He's naievely thinking of Han as soemthing of a friend, but for Han this is nothing but a business deal.

Or so he says.

Loved it! =D=

22. Jedi_Lady21

Jedi_Lady21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2006
    Han & Leia were great in this chapter! and of course gotta Love R2 and how he tells Han what he truly thinks about him.

Great update!!!! :)

23. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Oh, I totally agree! Brodie, if you did that, it would be awesome![face_dancing] I'd especially enjoy episodes V and VI!:D

Terrific update!! I loved the twist on the scene in the cockpit and the new dialogue you gave everyone. :)
    Excellent!!!
    =D= =D==D==D=

24. AnakinsFavorite

AnakinsFavorite Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2006
    ?Artoo is not happy with you, Captain Solo,? Goldie began to translate. ?He thinks you are selfish, arrogant, and most of all ignorant.?

?Who?s asked you?? Solo barked, heading back to the cockpit.

That's just great! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Oh dear... we're getting to that part in the story where Artoo *gasp* looses a few wires in his dome! What will happen to the story, then??!

Great post! I'm sorry to not have replied for so long... I've been away and so busy!

*Runs away to panic over homework*

AF

25. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I LOVE this unique and well done POV of the events with which we are all so familiar! It makes me see the movies in a whole new light! :D ;)

=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.