main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    IIRC, the fourth and fifth cases were about the same length as the third one, maybe a tad bit longer. They are also the best two in the series thus far, in my opinion -- four for it's compelling story, and five for it's special use of DS exclusive functions.

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Has anyone played "Asphalt Urban GT 2"? I'm thinking of getting as I haven't got any racing games but I'd like to know what it's like before I do.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Future of Ace Attorney Series Depends on Sales

I?m sure it?s premature , but do we have any timeframe for a Western release of number four?

We haven?t decided yet, and we?ll probably be able to announce that after number three is out the door. So after October.

But it will be coming, eventually?

Yes, we would like to very much, and we?re working to make sure that happens. But it?s kind of pointless if number three doesn?t do very well, so we want to make sure people know about that, buy it, and tell their friends!

4. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    They always say that. And then the games always sell amazingly.

5. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    I got Diddy Kong racing a few weeks back, but ive not even touched it as ive been so busy. Having said that I still bought Hotel Dusk & Pokemon Diamond on impulse yesterday, even though I probably wont get round to playing them forever...atleast I'll have something to do at Xmas.
    I was actually out shopping for a DS for my cousin & ended up getting those for myself^
    Got him a black DS Lite with a Simpsons travel set (case, extra pens, chargers, etc) & Sonic, Mario Bros & some Shrek game. Never heard of the Shrek game, but the kids love the film, so theyll enjoy it even if its crap

I did give Hotel Dusk 10 mins, seems interesting, although the control system needs getting used to. The characters are funny.
    Pokemon was as expected :)

6. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    darth_boy: there's a DS codes thread and a pokemon thread if you want to swap you Pokemon code. :)

7. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    Bioware has announced a Sonic RPG for the DS!

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2007_06_21_Sonic_DS/]Press Announcement

http://ds.ign.com/articles/799/799672p1.html]Bioware Interview

This has the potential to be seriously cool. And with the new handheld division at Bioware's fingertips, could we a hand-held KOTOR-era game? Time will tell. :cool:

_Max

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Aren't BioWare supposed to be really good at making RPGs?

9. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    I cant get my wireless to work for DS, yet it works fine for Wii :(

10. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    Yeah. They've done KOTOR and Jade Empire, and are working on Mass Effect. I'm really looking forward to their first handheld game.

_Max

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol has shifted to being a Wal-Mart exclusive now. Hopefully it won;t become a trend, because titles becoming retailer exclusives would be terrible.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I made this post on the 12th of April, all I was getting was 'order delayed' emails, which was sucky. I just checked my email and it was dispatched today! :D

Only one problem though, I had it sent to my Uni address and I don't live there, nor will I be living there until October. :oops:

13. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Alot of pretty intriguing games have been coming out lately..

Right now i'm playing "Heroes of Mana", the first real successful attempt i've seen to bring Real-time strategy in the vein of "Starcraft" and "Command and Conquer" to the DS. For the most part it works really well. My only complaint is that the pathfinding is kinda wonky, sometimes. It's a bit awkward at first, but once you adjust the game is extremely playable. I've been having alot of fun with it.

After this one, i've got "Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon" and "Luminous Arc" (a strategy RPG that's reportedly in the same vein as "Final Fantasy Tactics") waiting in the wings. I also picked up "Madden 08" simply because it's the first sports title to FINALLY have Wifi support. I can't wait to try it out.

And tomorrow we have "Worms 2: Open Warfare" on it's way (also reportedly with Wifi support!)

And THEN we have "Legend of Zelda" in a month. Gosh the DS continues to rein as my favourite console in this current generation.

14. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I really wanna get the new Worms game.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm very disconcerted by the fact that I want to play 'I did it, mum!' which appears to be a game for very young children. [face_worried]

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Finally, they can resolve all the lingering questions posed by "You Go, Girl!" and "That A Boy!"

;)

17. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well i beat "Heroes of Mana". I know it hasn't been getting great reviews, but i really enjoyed it.

Now i'm playing "Worms 2: Open Warfare". It's pretty fun. I'd never played a Worms game before. Half the challenge is figuring out how to properly employ the gazillion weapons you have at your disposal.

The online is fun when it works, but i find there's ALOT of disconneting going on. I get into a battle, and either I get an error message that dc's me or my opponent dc's (i'm starting to realize that it's not on purpose.) Think they have to sort some issues out with their servers. Still, when it does work, it's a blast.

18. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Pretty. [face_batting]

[image=http://news.digitaltrends.com/images/stories/2007/08/1600/Nintendo_Announces_Red_and_Black_DS_Lite.jpg]

Right now it only comes in a bundle with Brain Age 2, but it'll be released by itself later (possibly around the same time that the new Zelda comes out).

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I might finally upgrade to a DS Lite for that color scheme if the red's not too bright, even though I still prefer the overall look and design (outside of size and screen brightness) of the original DS.

20. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    The red is a nice, almost metallic color IIRC.

I'll have to disagree with you on the issue of Lite vs. Orig. :p

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I have a Lite but the original is actually better suited for me, in terms of its size, because of my big hands. :p

22. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    ^ AKA Broke

I havnt got the new one, I had the first on DS, worth an upgrade?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I just like the more techno-feel to the original's look, versus the gadgety ipod-esque design of the lite. Makes it seem more advanced. Plus I like having the mic off to the side instead of between the screens- with so many games asking you to blow into the mic, I'd just rather not be blowing on my screens. Plus I really liked having the power button on the inside of the clamshell- I fear the side-switch style of the lite could be triggered wile in my pocket at work and lose the progress to a game I have in closed/sleep mode.

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    It's gotten pretty good reviews.

25. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Interesting Quest... almost the same reasoning, but I prefer the Lite.

While the original design was interesting looking, the Lite just seems to have a classy feel. Kind of like the future worlds where everything is white and soft and utopic.

I like the mic in the middle because I don't have to shift the console to speak into it. It's more natural to talk exactly where you are looking. I do understand the not wantint to blow (possibly spit) on the screens though.

As for the power button, I cannot tell you how many times I was playing a game and I wanted to pause and I accidentally thumbed the power button instead of Start. The toggle switch is designed to not only require being pulled againsta spring, but held there for a short but definable time before the system powers down.

As for control, I prefer the bigger stylus of the Lite and the face buttons having a more tactile feel than the mini dots of the Phat. However, I do think the cross pad is a tad flighty on the Lite; power sliding on Mario Kart DS took a hit. I was never able to snake fully though I had it semi-decent on the phat; Lits I can't snake at all and end up in the dirt off track. Ergonomics... well, I nearly cramped my index finger playing Metroid Hunters on the Phat, but conversely I have cramped my hands holding the lite as well.

In any case, I traded my phat in because the shoulder button cracked and wouldn't correctly register everything. Lite hasn't done it yet though... Maybe I should go pick up an old phat, you know, to have both?