main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Can't help ya with that one, unfortunately as I don't have it. Just ordered Contra 4 finally as well as Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (reviews have been very good and the concept looks great so I bought it on a whim).

Also, earlier this week, the DS broke the 100 million mark

First released in 2004, Nintendo's portable DS topped 100 million consoles sold last week, Nintendo reports.

While 100 million is an impressive number, the DS will still have to top 119 million to topple Game Boy's record-setting number. Of course, it took the Game Boy 16 years to hit that mark.

It took the DS about two and a half years to hit the 50 million mark. The PlayStation Portable hit the 50 million mark last month, or about four years after its release in North America.

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  3. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    So who's planning on checking out GTA for the DS?

I have to admit i'm tempted by it.. Course i also played and enjoyed the GTA that came out for the GBA, so many moons ago.. (Actually the only GTA game that i ever fully completed :p)

4. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    Tip for Fire emblem, remember to train Marth, I neglected his training and couldn't beat the last level and am now resoting to starting again, which is heartbreaking as although my file says 20 hours I must have played MUCH more than that restarting the levels continually.

5. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    how does the "downloading the Pokémon" at the Toys R Us Event thing work? My dad said he'd be going out to the area where our local Toys R Us is soon (Before the 21st) and he could take me to TRU. Do I just bring my Nintendo DS w/ Diamond or Pearl cart. and then the employees direct me to a download station?

the one game that interests me is BUILD A LOT and its currently at "low" for rental availability on GameFly.com I want to rent it first. The only place to buy it is Amazon.com Or at a GameStop. (I wonder why Best Buy or Target doesn't carry it).

6. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    I learned that harsh lesson with the first Fire Emblem game released on the GBA... I was always afraid to get Eliwood involved in the fighting, and payed for it later.

So far in "Shadow Dragon" i think i've been doing a good job of keeping the key units involved and leveled.

It's just so darned easy to charge in on your cavalry units and wipe everything out, ya know?

I just got to chapter 4 where you have the arena that you can use to level up. Unfortunately i got a little cocky and wound up staying in one round too long and i got Marth killed...WITHOUT saving.. I have to redo that whole mess over again :p

I also got RNG screwed on the previous chapter. I had widdled the boss down a bit with Draug, and...with 3 shots at attacking him, i had him surrounded and he SHOULD have died, but no, he dodged all 3 of my attack attempts, and then in wiped out one of my cavalry in the enemy phase.. It was such BS :p

This game isn't hard, unless you're trying to be perfect, at which point you wind up restarting several times.

7. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    On chapter 9 now and marth is significantly stronger than my other units, and I haven't lost anyone. I guess I also missed out on training last time due to using the double warp strategy (warping one unit to kill the boss and then warping marth straight to the throne/castle).

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    The reviews so far have been excellent. I'm a GTA fan so I'm gonna get in the near future for sure.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Since it's the ancestor of the DS, figure this is as good a place as many- the original indestructible Game Boy came out in April 1989 in Japan, 20 years ago.

Happy birthday to he who hath crushed it's enemies, seen them driven before you and heard the lamentations of their women!

10. Master_Chief

Master_Chief Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2003
    HENRY HATSWORTH IS A GOLDEN GOD.

Picked up the copy for my roommate today. After playing through level 1-1, I know I will be borrowing this all the time.

11. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Haha, Happy Birthday Gameboy!

Hard to believe it's been 20 years...I received my first gameboy for my birthday in 1989...My parents always refused to buy me an actual NES because of all the stories they'd heard about it ruining your tv screen if left on too long... When the Gameboy came out (with it's own screen) they no longer had any excuses :p

My first 2 games were Tetris (of course, it came with the thing) and Supermarioland. Good times!

My grandparents purchased the unit for my parents to give to me for my birthday on a trip over to the United States (cause everything was cheaper back then then it was in Canada)...When they bring anything like that back, they used to always try putting batteries into the device and test it out before passing it along to my grandparents..

They thought the system was so nifty, that they actually went out and purchased 1 for every one of their grandkids for christmas (so my sister, and my 5 cousins), and even went so far as to purchase 2 for themselves!

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm gonna give Hatsworth a spin this weekend, looking forward to it.

My first Game Boy was actually one I won for my sister through a Captain Crunch contest- they gave you your typical cheap red/blue 3D glasses and a game piece with pics of the Cap on it, and you had to figure out which one was the real Cap based on your game piece. We didn't have a winning game piece, but when I closed one of my eyes, I noticed one of the Caps was different than the others, so we went and submitted that guess- sorry, SHE submitted that guess since my parents usually bought CC for her.

Anyways, we...she, won and got a Game Boy out of it. I got my own within a year though- though I did end up using the Nintendo Power controller face stickers on it to give it a unique design. I eventually removed them from my NES and SNES controllers, but I never took the one off the Game Boy.

I also remember an awesome NP contest where you could design your own Game Boy and the winning design would have it made for them. I didn't win that one, but I did submit a bitchin' dragon design, with these wings jutting off the sides of the system- wish I could get that drawing back now, but it all became property of NOA. I wonder if they still have archives for that sort of thing? I'd love to try and track that down for kicks.

Besides Tetris, my earliest games were Metroid 2, Super Mario Land 2 (which is my only game that has gone missing), Donkey Kong (the expanded update, not the classic port), WWF Superstars 2 & Link's Awakening.

13. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Picked up GTA China Town Wars today. Pretty neat so far, the car theft mechanics are wicked, so far my character has 5 bags of coke after selling some LSD.

Yeah... one of the earlier missions!

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Harry Hatsworth is fantastic, really neat mixture of platformer and puzzle and a fun style and humor to it.

Contra 4 is freaking hard though- it's glorious. I just gotta figure out where to enter the Konami Code because the 5 lives on Normal isn't enough for me to beat the first stage, and the 10 of Easy only goes so far, even with the auto-stacked weapons.

But, yeah- Spread Shot is still the greatest thing ever.

15. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    Yes, "Contra 4" was ridiculous on normal level.

I was able to beat the easy mode (of course you don't get the whole game out of that), but normal was just evil..

I did find that, the further you got into the game, the easier it got, but that was all dependent on you having some sort of weapon other then the standard gun.

The power-ups are SO critical to success in that game. There are certain boss battles that i figure are near impossible with the standard gun...

EDIT: I also picked up Chinatown Wars.. It's decent enough, but i think i've finally grown tired of the GTA formula. The drug-dealing thing is kinda neat, but once you figure it out, it makes getting money a bit too easy...

16. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Chinatown Wars is chock full of win. Loving this game.

17. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    I recently started playing my DS again. I've been playing Pokémon (I know, I know... I'm lame.), Peggle Dual Shot, Castlevanie: Order of the Ecclesia, and My Japanese Coach. I've been given a lot of grief because of the Japanese Coach. They were saying that it's not true Japanese. I told them, "I'm just wanting to learn the language." Sure, it isn't the best way to learn the language, but it is a beginning.

The only thing I am having problems with is getting my DS online. Before, when I was living with my parents, I had no problems because we didn't have the internet secured. When I got the internet in my apartment, I secured my internet. I have the Wii connected, but I cannot get the DS online. :(

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Do you know what kind of security you have? If it's a WEP code, which is the most likely scenario, then you just have to enter it in the Wi-Fi setup menu.

In other news, I also picked up Chinatown Wars recently. Good stuff so far, all the touch screen elements are great especially tattooing people. :p

19. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    I honestly don't remember. I had a friend help me set it up. It just tells me that "The access point's security settings are not supported by the Nintendo DS. For help, visit www.nintendo wifi.com."

20. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    It might have to do with the fact that your internet is secured.....But the fact that your Wii can get online makes me wonder......

Oh, and you're not lame for playing Pokemon. I got Platinum last month and it took me three weeks to get there, but I made it to the Hall of Fame after beating the Elite 4. I've recently been breeding random FR or LG pokemon on my Fire Red & Leaf Green games so I can migrate them to Platinum.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The DS only supports WEP encryption, while the Wii supports WEP and WPA. My guess is your router is set on WPA (which is the newer and more secure) security setting.

22. Master_Chief

Mar 16, 2003
    Anyone else playing Henry Hatsworth?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If they're not, they should.

24. Master_Chief

Mar 16, 2003
    Found 2 hidden suit pieces so far, I think. Been going back to explore?

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not yet- sadly haven' had a chance to get back to the game for a couple weeks, but I will soon.