main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Fat chance. MDs are passé.

2. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Not for games, especially not if the MD's are mini-DVD's. Or are all MD's actually mini-DVD's already, and I'm the only one who didn't know that?

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the GCN's game discs are basicly mini-DVDs...minidiscs fall somewhere inbetween a CD and mini-DVD, I think.

4. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    I think that. since they said it would be portable, that it's going to have to be something to compete with the PSP. At the same time, though, they said that it would become another one of Nintendo's pillars. So they'll try to keep the GBA around too, but whether or not a company can have three systems out at the same time, two of them portable, is still questionable.

5. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Maybe it's the iQue.

It's beong introduced in China by Nintendo to test market it.

It's a regular sized controller and it plugs in and you can play N64, SNES and NES games. No carts. You just download the games right into it.

Maybe they're bringing it stateside.

It comes with 5 built in games out of the box, but if you want more, you just go to a game store and for 3 to 5 bucks, you downlaod another game into it and it's yours for keeps. No rental. Yours.

Maybe that's it?

6. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    I would buy that. Very quickly, I would buy that. Especially if the five games were good ones. Maybe one classic from each old system? (NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBC)

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Dude, that would be the best console ever!

8. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Well, the iQue is real. If it gets released in the US, is another story.

The games already included in it are good ones. Two of the ones that I can remember are Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, among others.

It comes with 5 games as freebies. But if you want more, you have to download them for 3 to 5 bucks a pop.

9. tyderium1111

Sep 28, 2003
    Didn't they already say that it won't be the iQue?

10. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    the Ique sounds sweet....any idea how much the thing would cost?

11. tyderium1111

Sep 28, 2003
    Well, the whole point of it is to be cost-effective, so I wouldn't imagine too much.

12. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I seen pics of the iQue, and it is awesome, but I would prefer it in console form.

I think Nintendo's biggest edge is thier history. If they can put out something that plays all their old games, I think it's blow Sony & Microsoft away. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

From lik-sang.com

Nintendo iQue getting closer and worldwide: new pictures, confirmed release titles and screenshots
    Wed Nov 12 2003 20:47:52 Hong Kong Time - GameCube

Nintendo's iQue release is getting closer. The iQue is Nintendo's new console they have announced at the Tokyo Game Show 2003. Lik Sang covered the announcement here. Initially planned to be released by mid-october, the controller-style console plugs directly into the TV and comes with a 64 Mega Bytes Flash Memory Card to store the games.

UPDATE: Release confirmed, preorders shipping during the next few days. Lik Sang ships two sets. (1) iQue Player with the full version of Doctor Mario and Mario 64 and trial versions of Star Fox, Zelda 64 and Wave Race for US$ 99.90, and (2) the IQue Player with the full version of all the games for US$ 129.90

iQue Player with 64M Flash Card with full Doc Mario and Mario 64 and 3 Trial Versions - US$ 99.90
    iQue Player with 64M Flash Card with ALL games as full version - US$ 129.90

Nintendo 64 Nano-Technology inside

It is now confirmed that the iQue player is a Nintendo 64 console that makes use of similar Nano-Technolgy that is used in Sony's PSX: the technology used will allow the unit to have a single chip solution containing CPU, Graphic Engine, GPU etc. Positive side-effects are a doubled operating speed, reduced electronic noises and very low power consumption. Regarding Nintendo/iQue spokespersons in China, the iQue will be the first gaming device on the market that makes use of that technology, followed by Sony's PSX which is due to release in December. This statement at least gives us hope that the unit might still be released before Christmas ;-)

Mario goes to, ehrm, Shanghai...

A new official release date has not been made public yet, but it's now also confirmed that the unit will release in the Shanghai market first, not in GoangZhou (near Hong Kong) as initially announced. There is no reason to worry, though, pre-orders through Lik-Sang.com are not affected. One of the first Nintendo retail partners where the unit can be purchased is a famous French retail and supermarket chain operating in China.

What's in the box, including games

The unit released first contains a 64MBytes Flash Card, the AV cable, a power supply (220V), the power cord and 5 games pre-recorded on the card. Included are 5 games, while only Doctor Mario is a full version. Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time (10 hours), Mario 64 (7 hours), Wave Race (1 hour) and Star Fox (1 hour) are time limited demo versions. It's a "very new" distribution system, indeed.

No other titles have been officially confirmed to us as of yet, but the N64 has got lots of great titles. Full versions of games cost 48 Yuan, that's approx US$ 6. In-game text and manuals are in simplified Chinese language, in-game voices are in mandarin.

The box also contains a serial number and password that allow you to download new titles to your system at Nintendo partners throughout Shanghai, and possible also through the Internet. The card maintains a download log, so users can regain the previous game titles again free of charge if they want to play them again.

Updateable Operating System

Another important detail revealed by sources in China is that the OS of the iQue can be updated. We presume that this happens through a download when you "refill" your flash cartridge. The system is said to work similar like the one that Microsoft plans to build into the Xbox2 console, and is simply called UOS.

Possible release outside of China

Nintendo spent quite a bit of time and money to come up with the iQue and rumors say that the iQue has been designed by Scott Summit, who also designed for Apple and the Zodiac Handheld de

13. Macewindu77815

Macewindu77815 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    Sweet I would buy that in a second...just to be able to play starfox again...and those other great games..that would be sweet!

14. Jans_Walker

Jans_Walker Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2002
    This just in from IGNCube.

Iwata's Latest Comments
    What does this guy smoke? I hope it's just bad translation form Japanese but how can he say games have barely progressed over 20 years and then state that games don't sell anymore? The gaming industry has increasingly grown over the past 20 years, the store that I work at has increased its sales 20% over last years. I understand that one game rarely will sell millions of copies but there are so many games out there selling hundreds of thousands of copies, which is great.

Matt responds: Well, I'd say there were definitely a couple of subtleties missed in our translation of the interview. However, Ikachi from the IGN message boards was kind enough to post a more accurate translation, which I suggest that you read below:

Q: Regarding the "completely unfamiliar product" you're planning to announce this spring -- what kind of game will it be?
    Iwata: The process of making games has on a number of levels come to a halt. Over the past 20 years, games have evolved along the singular basis of being made increasingly complex and better looking. However, rules of success dictated by such a definition of evolution have become irrelevant, leaving game creators in a dilemma. Put in more frank terms, games as they are have ceased to sell well. Prolonging the current status quo will not allow the situation to change. We want to offer a completely unfamiliar play experience that our customers have never had up to this point.

Everything will depend on how much of a strong impression we are able to generate. It is not in our minds that everyone will applaud the announcement directly after it is made, and we are prepared for that. We will be satisfied if 10% of people find the product interesting (from the get-go), those that are unsure eventually develop an interest in trying it, and then general interest in the product ensues from there. We'd like to bring gaming back to that stage in which it can be enjoyed by anyone. However, a hardware/software-in one unit would not be a viable for our company from a business perspective. In other words, we will be utilizing a platform of some kind, but this platform will not be limited to the nature of the workings of existing game consoles.

I think Iwata's comments, at the very least, reflect a very Japan-centric business approach by Nintendo. Though he says, "games as they were have ceased to sell well," this is something of a generalization and an ignorance of the global market. Besides, some games do very well in Japan. And if we try to apply this statement to the American market, it doesn't make any sense at all because game sales are going through the roof here.
    It'll be interesting to see what this mystery machine is. Whether it's a disaster or something truly amazing, it's going to be a very entertaining. (The Nintendo team here is actually looking forward to the E3 unveiling either way.)

I also find Iwata's comments that "we will be satisfied if 10% of people find the product interesting from the get-go," very contradictory to a statement he made just a few days ago in which he indicated that this would be the year Nintendo fights back. Appealing to a mere 10% of the game-buying public and then relying on word of mouth does not sound like an aggressive new Nintendo to me.

Of course, I reserve the right to change my opinion of this new mystery product is in fact the greatest thing ever.

This honestly kind of reminds me of cell-phone gaming...

Chris

15. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Please don't let it be a N-Cage...

IMO, Cell Phones are for talking, Games are for... gaming. They don't really go together.

**decides to learn to read Chinese so he can get an iQue**

16. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    The Mystery Machine has been revealed and my expectations of it immediatly went to an all time low.

Articles:

gamespot

gamespy

IGN

I won't say anything harsh untill I've read some E3 thouhts of it.

17. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Concept Drawing! :D

[image=http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/nintendodsannounced.jpg]

18. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    it sounds like a novel idea to me. i can see where two screens would be handy. the problem is that whenever a novel gaming idea is introduced, virtual boy, it usually dies a quick violent death.

it looks like nintendo has taken another step down the same path that sega took. 32X anyone? i hope this isnt a flop otherwise the big N will soon be in its death throes.

19. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    Well i see the potential of this machine. I have many times wished for my PC and console games to be able to appear on two screens. With RTS games this could be simply awsome, Imagine carrying out a battle on one screen, while tending to business back at base on the other. Also take into acount adventure games like Zelda, where one screen could be game play and the other, the pause menu where you can examine maps, switch items, view stats, ect. on fly. Maybe it is just the add in me but the has some great potiential. Now it still may be a flop depending on the third party support and game selection and quality. Besides i am sure that this wont give you a headache after 5 minutes of play time either, a la VB. Guess we will have to wait and see...

20. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    This is... umm... not novel.

Hook two Gameboys together. Voilà. Two-screen multiplayer portable gaming.

21. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    But the games won't use both screens the way the DS could.

I like it. Seeing how much it costs, I'll probably get it.

22. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    Nintendo already has a two-screen gaming device. It's called the Gamecube/Game Boy Advance Link Cable.

[image=http://www.megadoomer.com/~joesunrider/images/28.jpg]

More at Terminal Crossing

</plug>

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I was right; just like Virtual Boy!

24. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Teh Megaton!!1!

Oh well this news could have been worse. At least it's not a VR, four player Pac-Man. After last years E3 it wouldn't have surprised me.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

25. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Why not just make one double size screen and then make the games split screen?

I don't see how this will help much for most games.

Other than sports games, what games would this be advantageous? (maps on screen?)

Wouldn't it be better to have made this the new console and have picture-in-picture capability?