main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Maybe if you turn it sideways and stick your eyes up real close, it can also play your old Virtual Boy 3D games collection.

2. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    Mesa gotta bombad feelin' 'bout dissen.

3. TitaniumBender

TitaniumBender Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 25, 2003
    how's this better than the GBA? I don't get it

4. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    The worst thing about it is probably that you can't play GB and GBA games on it. At least that way it wouldn't have been a total waste of money if it turned out to be a flop.

5. Saruman_the_Silver

Saruman_the_Silver Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 18, 2003
    First of all, how much will this DS cost? $100? $200?

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Less than the PSP.

7. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Speaking of the PSP, will the PSP accept PSX games? If so, Nintendo has a real competition on their hands.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No, the PSP will not play PS1 games.(PSX was the code name for PS1 during development, and is now the name of the Super PS2) Can you imagine playing a handheld that could accomodate a CD?

9. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    If they put a screen on top of a walkman it would be about the same size as a GBA. It would nto have to be much wider than a CD to accomodate one.

10. MasterChiefJedi

MasterChiefJedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2003
    If Virtual Boy has 3D games like mario and donkey kong stuff i will buy. If like an Sony I-Toy i ant buying. I would rather buy another console cause the portal system like N-Gage PSP and Virtual Boy will be like 300 dollors

11. CoolSaber

CoolSaber Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2002
    Here's some funny mock-ups. :)

[image=http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/readermockup_012404_4.jpg] [image=http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/readermockup_012404_2.jpg]
    [image=http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/readermockup_012404_3.jpg]

And my Favorite, the new... NINTENDO BS
    [image=http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/readermockup_012404_1.jpg]

12. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    [image=http://dc1.dawsoncollege.qc.ca/~a231606/DS3d.gif]

Link to article.

13. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    very interseting possibility...

14. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    If it is a "true 3D" game machine, that might push it way above PSP in terms of notoriety.

15. MasterKingsama

MasterKingsama Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2003
    might, no will. If, and i know that this is a big if, it is true 3d, and affordable, this will be heads above most consoles, portable or not...

16. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    3D Is Bogus?

>>>What we heard: Sharp actually stopped by the GameSpot offices to show off its impressive 3D technology, which displays two slightly askew images on a single screen to create the illusion of three dimensions. Apparently someone heard the words "two" and "screen," thought "DS," and started posting away. They might have also remembered the two companies' industry-shattering 1989 collaboration, the Sharp NES TV, and figured one loopy idea warrants another. Still, Nintendo and Sharp's silence could mean they're hiding something... that or they can't be bothered to respond to pesky reporters' idle gossip. It's doubtful that Nintendo could incorporate such premium technology into the DS and keep its price low enough to arouse interest in such a, err, unique system.

Bogus or not bogus?: The thing already has us seeing double--making it 3D would make millions cock-eyed. Bogus.<<<

Widescreen

>>>The release also stated that "the two LCD displays can be used as one large screen" meaning the DS will have a form of widescreen (albeit turned on its side.)<<<

Don't know about this talk about 3D.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

17. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    It seems to make a lot sense though as to why both making a dual screen.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Some possible but not 100% confirmed info IGN posted a week or so ago...

-plays cartridge-based software up to 128 megabytes (current Game Boy Advance sizes are eight and 16 megabytes)
    -is scheduled for release sometime in 2004.
    -insiders out of Japan have told IGN that the device in fact will be backward compatible with Nintendo's handheld and fully able to play GBA software.
    -According to insiders, at least one of the LCDs will in fact be a "touch screen," or capable of receiving and transmitting input from fingers and pens by the touch. It is not known if the device will also ship with a stylus for tablet-like functionality.
    -The DS will feature high-speed wireless support. Though it's currently unclear what standard Nintendo will adopt for the DS, we're certain that it will utilize technology similiar to what it has just released on the Game Boy Advance in Japan.
    -one source alleges that the Nintendo DS would retail for approximately $129 in Japan, just slightly more expensive than what the GBA retails for in that market. No word on American or European prices.
    -We've heard both that the DS will feature N64-like graphics and that it will deliver mostly 2D sprite-based graphics. Both come from historically reliable sources.
    -The DS cartridges feature memory technology by Matrix Semiconductor . This will allow Nintendo to produce cartridges far more quickly and cheaply than what the company is able to do with the Game Boy Advance. Currently third parties must manufacture GBA carts at costs from six to 10 dollars a unit depending on size and save RAM.

19. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    If DS is unsuccessful, Nintendo will be crushed, says former NCL president.

>>> The executive said that Nintendo will "give [its] all" to promote the Nintendo DS. He conceded that the device may not immediately overwhelm audiences, but that he hopes it will help ring in a new era, which may revitalize the games industry. "If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."<<<

Sounds like their willing to take a gamble on it.

>>> Yamauchi reiterated his longstanding belief that the videogame industry is moving in the wrong direction, but added that it's approaching a critical point. "I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories," he said.<<<

Hehe, Yamauchi put the crack pipe down. I want more complex games with epic storylines.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

20. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    ^lol

Let's have a recall election, I liked Nintendo's old president better! And since this is my first post here in this thread, will someone post a long boring post about what a DS is? The Nintendo Death Star?

21. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    The DS is short for Double/Dual(whatever) Screen. It's a handheld console with two separate screens, giving the player an oppurtunity to see the game from two separate views simultaineously. For instance, in a soccer game you see the whole field in one screen, and a close-up of you in the other. That's just an example of course. Nobody has even seen how it looks like yet.

22. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Well, let's hope to God Nintendo doesn't put their full support behind this, or I see a K-mart tradegy occuring. I hate K-mart though. :p

23. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I, for one, am not especially worried. Yes I'll be the first to admit that I am a Nintendo fanboy. Born with a NES controller in one hand a gameboy in the other, raised on the Super NES, but thats beside the point. What I mean to say is look at the recent past. When we first heard about Metroid being in first person how many of us were up in arms over it. " Not my Samus!" but what was it when it came out. " OM*G This is incredable!" For me it was the best FPS style thing that I ever experinced. When we heard of a cell-shaded Link what was the reaction? " **** Nintendo! They're taking our hero and turning him into little kiddy crap! WT*!" But when it came out and people spent more then 30 seconds on it what were the reactions? " Look! The explosions have little curly tails! I love this game!" So we get news now of a hand-held with something different. Lets see how they blow our minds this time.

24. Vader_vs_Maul

Dec 4, 2003
    You do have a point. I think there is a great chance that it will end up being a hit.

25. tim500

tim500 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    Meh. The DS will most probably have N64 graphics and play GB games. (latest hype)

I'm waitin' for E3.

If it fails Nintendo will not sink. Yamuichi (sp?) was just exaggerating to make it seem like it was either gonna blast up or sink down.

I'm excited about it and think'll it'll be good but I'm still waitin' for E3 before I judge this.