main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    I've been on a Castlevania fix lately. I've been playing the ones for the GBA as well as Dawn of Sorrow. I've been thinking about buying Portrait of Ruin. However, my brother says that it's not that great. Does anyone around here recommend PoR?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The FF3 that was released in the US originally was actually FF6. Now we have the actual one on DS.

3. Richard-Drahcir

Richard-Drahcir Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2004
    So with Final Fantasy 6 in America, is that actually FF6 or not?
    Here in the UK we've got the GBA remake coming and originally on SNES, which is widely popular, but in America is that not FF6 then?

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    The game that was released in the US as FFIII is FFVI. IIRC, FFVII was released globally as FFVII, and then all the ones after were numbered the same everywhere.

And this is probably better suited to the FF thread. :p

5. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    Sticking to the DS topic with a touch of FF, FFIV is going to be remade on the DS. I don't know about you guys, but this is my favorite FF and to be put on the DS remade;SWEET!!!

6. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    I almost like the classic look better than the remake on the FFIII engine.

Almost.

7. Richard-Drahcir

Feb 18, 2004
    Looks fine to me but I never played the original or GBA version.

8. I_Killed_Mufasa

I_Killed_Mufasa Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2005
    DS Gamers:

I've never owned a hand-held console. I have the Wii, an Xbox, etc. and am considering getting a DS this summer...just because.

In the past, handhelds were generally "for kids." I've read that the DS is more adult-oriented. I'm 21.

Is it a worthy buy? And if so, any suggestions for games?

9. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Well, if you're a fan of the Zelda series you need to get a DS to play Phantom Hourglass when it comes out later this year. If you're into Final Fantasy then you need to get Final Fantasy III, and Revenant Wings. There's also a wide selection of puzzle and "brain games," if you're into those.

Plus, you can also play the Gameboy Advance games on the DS.

10. I_Killed_Mufasa

Feb 8, 2005
    I like Zelda; never really got into FF, though. I've always liked classic Nintendo games--Mario, etc.

11. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    If you liked Mario then you need to get the New Super Mario Bros. It's a really good side scrolling platformer with some great additions to Mario's abilities.

12. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    DS "adult" games. (or at least I own them and I'm 22)

Trauma Center: Under the Knife (though you have the Wii, I think Trauma Center: Second Opinion is much better; essentially same game, different platforms)

New Super Mario Bros. (think classic Nes Mario redone for 2006 and you nail this game)

Star Fox Command ( stylus piloting can be awkward, but it requires good piloting skills and a little strategy as you have to move fighters over a map to engage enemies and you have limited time in terms of fuel)

Metroid Prime Hunters (I didn't particularly like it because single player is weak, but it's a full fledged strafe and aim FPS on a handheld, with a robust online mode)

Lunar Knights (from Hideo Kojima [Metal Gear Solid] comes an awesome action RPG where you lay the smackdown on vampires in which a virtual weather system severely affects how you play)

Etrian Odyssey (just released, classic first person dungeon crawler with a twist, the bottom screen is a map you have to make yourself. If you get lost in the labrynth, it's your own damn fault. Haven't played this one, got a decent review)

Puzzle Quest (Bejeweled + RPG = awesome fusion of genre)

Caslevania: Dawn of Sorrow & Portrait of Ruin (proof Castlevania is much better as a 2D game)

Advance Wars: Dual Strike (awesome war strategy game, painted in a comical cartoon style. The game will kick your butt if you underestimate it though)

Elite Beat Agents (never got into this, but it's a touch rhythm game. Highly addictive)

MegaMan ZX (classic sidescrolling MegaMan action)

Tetris DS (Do I have to explain this?)

13. I_Killed_Mufasa

Feb 8, 2005
    Hmm...interesting.

Thanks for your help.

14. Darklord07

Darklord07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    Your user name is horrible, yet funny.

:_|[face_laugh]=D=

15. Richard-Drahcir

Feb 18, 2004
    And Id easily reccomend Sonic Rush. Before Secret Rings came out, this was the single one Sonic game that could compete with the 4 Mega Drive titles and Sonic CD for best Sonic game.
    Secret Rings is a good game but Sonic Rush is so awesome and proves that Sonic works better in 3D. Its not as good as Sonic 3 and Knuckles but is the best one since then.

And Super Mario 64 DS is a fantastic game that easily beats Wario Ware as the best DS launch game from 2005. Its far better (and harder too :) ) than New Super Mario Bros if you can get used to the DPad control which is far better than the poor touch screen-analogue control.

And both games should be pretty cheap now. In England I found Sonic Rush for £13 about 2 months ago.

16. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Does anyone know anything about Maple Story DS? I can't seem to find anything.

17. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    I finally got Puzzle Quest yesterday, and so far I love it. It's got the whole cheesy-PC-RPG old school feel to the menus and graphics, and combining addictive puzzle gameplay with an engrossing RPG is just pure genius. I'd much rather grind through random battles by Bejewling, rather than pressing "Attack" 70 billion times. Puzzle Quest definitely gets the Bodknocks seal of Awesomeness.

18. EUReader

EUReader Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 10, 2004
    What does a DS game look like? I don't own one and have never seen one out of a box.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  20. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    A better picture

DS game cards are essentially the same idea as an SD card, just a bit bigger physically and instead of writeable memory it has the program hard coded into it.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    It's funny how small the cartridge is compared to the size of the case. :p

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I think that shocked my mum when she saw the actual cartridge. It was kinda funny.

23. SkyeLightrider

Jan 12, 2003
    They had to maintain the depth of a DVD case so that people who put them next to their other games have an even line.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I just thought it was so they could fit a decent sized manual in, as well as have a big enough box that people will see them in shops.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also each DS game case has room for a GBA cart to be stored inside it as well.