main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    The new DSI looks really cool.

2. Mitsume

Mitsume Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2008
    Does somebody know when DSi comes to Europe?

3. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    Is the DSi really worth the money? I already have a DS Lite and dont really know alot about the DSi.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    So it's been a few weeks since I got Chinatown Wars and I absolutely loooooooove it. A must-have for any DS owner.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  6. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Oh, Scribblenaughts. How fun a game you are.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm definitely picking that one up sometime this year. I really want to finish Harry Hatsworth first, though- it's not only still good, but the challenge is really starting to get up there- it's fantastic. Then I have Retro Game Challenge to give a spin too also.

8. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I just bought Scribblenauts an hour ago, can't wait to play it.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I will be getting Scribblenauts sometime within the next week....freakin stoked. It seems the consensus is that it's very fun but the controls can be really frustrating.

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Coming from someone who hardly plays his DS anymore, this is looking like a great month that will get me back into it. Bowser's Inside Story, Scribblenauts, and especially Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (the first KH with classic gameplay in FOUR YEARS) all look fantastic.

11. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    I've only had a chance to play Scribblenauts a few minutes since getting it on Tuesday, but so far it's a lot of fun.

12. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Scribblenauts = Awesome

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Picked up Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (stupid obscure subtitles FTW) yesterday and, as expected, it kicks all kinds of ass. It's classic Kingdom Hearts, and I love it.

14. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Say, has anyone played the Professor Layton games?

I suddenly am having a pang for a DS game, and that one came up in conversation..

I'm also thinking about picking up the new Mario-Luigi Superstar Saga-type game.

And maybe Valykyrie Profile.

15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I've played (and have yet to complete) the Curious Village. A lot of the puzzles are really tough and frustrating (I broke my stylus out of irritation :p), but it's fun for the first couple of hours when you don't need a guide.

16. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    We just bought our daughter a DSi for her birhtday. I think I am going to comandeer it when she is at school from now on.

17. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I finished The Curious Village and I'm working on The Diabolical Box. TONS of fun. Very addictive, and sometimes very, very frustrating. But in an awesomely fun way. I highly recommend both of the, but TDB is turning out to be better than the first.

18. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Fixed. :p

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I totally missed this announcement a few weeks ago: Nintendo Announces DSi LL with 93% larger screen.

[image=http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/10/dsill.jpg]

Wow- a big screen DS is a fantastic idea for those of us that game at home more often than on the go with our portable systems. I had no intention of buying a DSi (I planned to just get a Lite) but I'll definitely be grabbing one of these. I can use this one at home and keep my original Phat for on-the-go (or maybe I'll replace it with a Lite down the road).

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Anotehr interesting thing- worldwide DS (phat/lite/dsi) sales total, as of the end of September, around 113 million units so far... and at least 1 million units were sold Thanksgiving weekend alone.

Worldwide sales of the Gameboy (Color/Advance) are just shy of 119 million. The GBA totals just under 82 million. The PS2 around 140ish.

Which means, in all likelihood, the DS has outsold the original GB/GBC by now (or if it hasn't will by year's end).

Going by the general sales figures each quarter for the past 2 years, by the end of thisspring (though probably earlier), the DS will have outsold the PS2.

And by the end of the summer...the DS will have outsold the total sales of all Gameboy variants.

That's...just staggering and amazing.

I mean, yes, the DS has what is arguably the greatest title catalog of any system previously- but it's still hard to conceive that the "4th Pillar Mystery Machine" experiment has managed to do in 5-6 years what previously took almost 20.

21. Wyndmage

Wyndmage Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2009
    It is pretty amazing. I love my DS. The touch pad just adds a different level to normal "button mashing" gaming.

Is buying a DSI worth it? What about the online game store games for the DSI? I'm still lugging around the original DS. XD

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It depends- the only thing you really lose with the DSi is the GBA slot, which I use quite a bit.

I also still use the original DS- I just think it looks better overall, looks more futuristic instead of the iPod/gadgety look of the DS Lite. And I like the power button and mic placements better.

However, the DS Lite's screen is definitely superior (the Phat's screen can get lost in sunlight).

The downloadable elements are interesting for the DSi (the camera does nothing for me at this point), though.

I wasn't planning on getting a DSi, though had been considering getting a DS Lite (especially when i was having audio problems with my Phat, but that resolved itself). Instead I'll just wait for the DSi LL and use that most of the time and use the Phat for portable gaming and GBA play.

23. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Definately. That's awesome, now you've got me drooling. :p

24. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Wow! :eek:

That'd be awesome. That new screen will be at least comparable to the PSP. I bet it'll cost more than a few pretty pennies though.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Failing to find ChronoTrigger in stores for the second consecutive post-christmas-purchase spree, I did get Scribblenauts and Spirit tracks (with the awesome collector's edition guide that matches the TP one), though I won't be playing ST until I finish PH.

Scribblenauts is lots of fun though- I've been doing the puzzle modes so far and have just about finished world 1 (though this last challenge with the flowers and the pirhanna is kicking my ass- what kills a pirranha besides a shark? I've tried sand, dynamite and a torpedo but none of them work underwater, and a fishing rod ends up with me yanked into the water, nor does SUBA gear help, and a boat doesn't help much; I'm also distressed that a flamethrower fails to harm a bee- thats a tough frelling bee!).

The fun is really in the Advanced challenges after you go back to a level you've already completed and have to figure out how to accomplish the goal three times in a row without reusing any of the same items- that can be tricky.

Also, I love how the ninja avatar runs.

On the basic "screwing around" intro screen, I've taken to note that the vampire is one of the hardest things to kill in the game. Sure, "vampire hunter" kills him in one shot easy, but the vampire himself took down monsters, cyborgs, demons, dinosaurs and even the space creature that emerged from a wormhole I created.

And, having watched a Top Gear segment just prior to messing around with it, I was pleased I could attempt to recreate the nun driving a monster truck segment ;)