main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Game, a UK company, has announced that the new DSi is available for pre-order! [face_dancing]

I just with I could afford one. :_|

2. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    But you can't play GBA games on it...

I just reserved the DS versions of Pokemon Gold and Silver! I can't wait! I've been playing Pearl a lot lately. w00t!

3. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    No, but I can play the on my DS Lite, and I have a GBA at my parents' house somewhere. I'm not getting rid of either so I'm to worried that the DSi XL won't be able to play GBA games.

4. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    HG/SS and Infinite Space are nearly here!

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    De-stickifying.

6. ShiriKeiCelisoe

Jan 8, 2002
    I picked up my copies of HeartGold and SoulSilver today. I keep forgetting how dreadfully slow the beginning of these games are. [face_tired]

7. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    So I just picked up a DSi along with Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy Tactics A2, what other games should I pick up that are of a similar nature? I don't really care for the gimmic-y games like the math game and whathaveyou, I've never played a pokemon game as I thought they were kiddish, but are they fun and kind of similar enjoyment to tactics or something? Also, I was wondering what the differences are going to be for the DSxl or whatever it's called, I heard that it was coming out in a couple weeks, other than bigger screens, whats going to be different?

8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    DS Successor Announced!

Nintendo 3DS

Nintendo has announced a new handheld device known as the Nintendo 3DS. The system is slated for a release before March 2011, with the official announcement coming on June 15th during E3.

According to the Nintendo release, the system will feature 3D gaming and require no glasses, feature cart based games, is the successor to the Nintendo DS, will feature backwards compatibility, and hold a target release date of before March 2011. Previously, rumored specs of the handheld had graphics comparable to that of the GCN, no mention of graphics output was made here, though. All other information will be known at this year's E3 showing. At this point, all we can do is speculate.

We'll have more information as it becomes available, but as of now, this is all Nintendo has released.

9. ShiriKeiCelisoe

Jan 8, 2002
    I don't want a new DS. I like the one I have.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, I didn't purchase nor do I plan on purchasing a DSi or DSi XL. I love my gold Zelda DS Lite.

Anyone play Bejeweled Twist DS? I ordered it off Amazon today because it's on sale there.

11. ShiriKeiCelisoe

Jan 8, 2002
    Wait!!! There's a Bejeweled for the DS?! Holy ****! I need to get that!

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm waiting until I can afford a DSi XL. Oh well, with a target release of 2011 for Japan the rest of the world won't see the 3DS until 2012 or so.

13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I've been addicted to Sudoku in my local paper. I know you can play Sudoku in Brain Age 2, right? What do you guys recommend for the DS to fulfill my Sudoku needs, but also has a good/fun/easy to use interface?

14. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Nintendo 3DS to release THIS OCTOBER

Nintendo's 3DS will be released a full two months in advance of Christmas this year, CVG can reveal.

UK industry sources have today informed us that the platform holder is readying an October launch for the system - which it will announce at E3.

That means it will go head-to-head with Microsoft's own great hardware hope this winter, Project Natal.

News of an October launch was a surprise for the execs we spoke to - as Nintendo had only previously announced that the handheld would hit shelves before March, 2011.

An October launch pre-dates that expiry date by a full six months - and gives Nintendo a three-month run-up to Christmas.

One very senior publishing source told CVG: "It's a surprise - we were expecting it much closer to Christmas. But I suppose it gives Nintendo the opportunity to get it front and centre in people's minds nice and early.

"In my experience, you don't launch a product that early to Christmas unless you're confident in it - and going to spend a lot of money on it. We're reassured that Nintendo is going to give it some decent backing in Q4."

The 3DS allows gamers to enjoy software with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses - but will also play regular DS titles.

Professor Layton developer Level 5 is reportedly creating a custom 3D game for the system.

Nintendo describes it as 'the new portable game machine to succeed [the] Nintendo DS series'. Take from that what you will.

CVG asked Cambridge University 3D experts how the device might work earlier this year.

We haven't yet got hold of a specific launch date - but Sunday, October 10 (10/10/10) is surely a front runner.

Nintendo told CVG today's story was merely "rumour and speculation". We get that a lot.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Damn, they're moving fast. And here I am still meaning to get around to picking up an XL DS.

16. APOLLO608

APOLLO608 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2010
    Can't Nintendo move onto something else. I am tiring of touch screens. I want my classic N64, GCN, GBA gameplay back with enhanced graphics.

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Still not sure I believe that rumor about the 3DS coming out before the end of this year. Although I thought usually Japan got the new thing first, then everyone else half a year later? It'd be a very pleasant surprise, but didn't even know Nintendo could get something out that fast. Although even if the 3D doesn't quite work out, as long as it plays DS games, it'll probably sell very well. I probably won't get an XL, though the bigger screens still look tempting.

18. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    IGN: 3DS graphics on par with 360, PS3?

Nintendo has not revealed any specs for the 3DS system, but expect it to well surpass the Nintendo DS in visual and processor capabilities. To provide stereoscopic 3D effects the system must have the ability to render each game field twice, one for each of the player's eyes, a technique that will require significant horsepower to produce.

Several developers that have experienced 3DS in its current form have reported, off the record, that it has processing capabilities that far exceed the Nintendo Wii and bring the device with abilities that are close to HD consoles such as PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

According to several developer sources, the 3DS device is not using the NVIDIA Tegra mobile chipset, a rumor that's been floating around since 2009.

Sounds pricey. [face_worried]

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm still getting caught up on all the features, but the title selection looks promising: Kid Icarus, Metal Gear Solid, resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts, Nintendogs + Cats, etc.

I also really like the possibilities of the dual-camera lens for taking 3D pictures.

20. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Yeah, the features of the 3DS have it looking pretty sweet! 3D movies and picture... [face_hypnotized] Plus a great looking game catalogue coming up...

Any ideas on backwards comp? Looked like you could turn off the 3D and have it work as a regular DS...

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They said it'll be compatible with DS/DSi.

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Hands on with the 3DS

It looks as if there is a very narrow window of where you can hold the 3DS for the 3D effect to look good. Hopefully this will change by the time it's released. Speaking of which, were we given a release date today?

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It has a slider control to adjust the depth of field for the 3D, so I'm guessing you'll adjust that based on how you hold the system, or be able to 2D-ify it if it gives you a headache.

24. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Crossposting with the Zelda thread: it looks like we may be getting graphically-upgraded Ocarina of Time (source: leaked images from Nintendo's E3 site) and Starfox 64 (source unknown?) remakes on the 3DS. Kinda makes sense, since we already got Mario 64 on the original DS.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'll have to see how the 3DS games are received before I decide if I should get one. Right now getting a Wii takes precedence. :p

Super Scribblenauts for sure, though.