main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Golden Sun looks nice, just wish I had had a chance to play the original.

The 3DS looks very nice. Most of the previews I've read so far sound optimistic, and they've certainly got a very impressive group of developers and titles lined up for it so far (yes, Professor Layton!). Don't think there's been a release date yet, unfortunately, but it sure looks good so far.

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Golden Sun was a good game, I liked it. It has nice graphics and the story is pretty solid too. All round it's a good game except for one aspect of combat. If two characters target the same enemy and the first one kills it the second character just guards instead of attacking something else.

Here's the E3 video of the 3DS:

The E3 Video (HD)

The E3 Video (SD)

Just a few things to pick up on: it has an analogue nub, it has a 3.5" widescreen top screen (comparable to the PSP), two cameras on the outside for 3D photos, motion and gyro sensors. It's also interesting to note the 3D slider to adjust 3D depth, I'm guessing more depth means more processing power required so a shorter batter life.

This just looks epic. I can't wait until I have one in my grubby mitts. It'll be interesting to see how the older games work in it, whether they'll be 3D-erised or not.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think the slider will affect processing power- it's there to help adjust to individual viewing distances depending on how you hold it, and, likely, as a backup in case people get a headache from 3D effects (like they do for some movies) by allowing them to turn off the 3D and play traditionally (or, at least, only enable 3D when the gameplay requires it to pass).

4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  5. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    My thinking is that with the 3D off the 3DS will just have to render a single image, but with the 3D on it'll have to render two different images taking into account the depth of the 3D.

Edit: I don't know if anyone has seen it, but this is the Nintendo E3 site. It has stuff for the DSi, the 3DS, and the Wii.

also, is it me or are the 3DS screens smaller than the DSi XL screens?

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It is:

DSi/DS Lite: 3.12" (both)
    3DS: 3.53" (top)
    PSP Go: 3.8" (only)
    DSi XL: 4.2" (both)
    PSP: 4.3" (only)

7. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    So with the 3DS looking awesome, I picked up a cheap DSi to see how me and hand held gaming mix...

I picked up Populous (Amiga nostalgia) and Civilisation Revolution, any other recommendations? I'm mostly interested in strategy/tactical games, but open to anything good. [face_thinking]

8. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    If you like the tactical/strategy games then you might want to check out Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings.

As for other really good games: Chrono Trigger, Mario & Luigi, New Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, and Scribblenauts would be my top picks.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Advance Wars is a sweet turn based strat game series. I've only played Dual Strike (I will beat it one day- very far in that game, but got stuck on that one level with the enclosed piperail guns), but I heard good things about Days of Ruin too (especially since it supposedly dropped the cutesy anime characters in the story from the previous entries).

Harry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure is one of my favorite games, though- it's a very clever blend of sidescrolling platformer and puzzle game, but I suppose there is a degree of strategy involved with how you approach the two facets of the game- the enemies you defeat in the platformer realm (top screen) become blocks in the puzzle realm (bottom screen).

If you ignore the puzzle realm too long, eventually those enemy blocks reach the top of the puzzle screen and cross over into the platformer screen as Thwomp-like blocks that attack you. Likewise, switching to the puzzle realm to keep them in check also gives you access to powerups and charging up a meter to access a brief invincibility-like state (via a steampunk mech suit with projectile fists).

10. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Thanks, I'll check some of those out. :D

11. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    I second the Advance Wars recommendation. I've only played Days of Ruin, but it was very good. Got to find a copy of Dual Strike someday.

Mario and Luigi just had a new game come out last year, and its absolutely hilarious. Most of the other general recommendations have been mentioned, although Mario Kart DS is also one of the best Mario Kart games ever (at least I think so, and I think that's the general opinion too).

The Phoenix Wright games are also hilarious, although not sure if they're your taste, plenty of reading, but plenty of laughs.

Hm, strategy... oh yeah, I think there was a Fire Emblem remake on DS last year, I think that was strategy.

12. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I got frustrated and never finished it, but Professor Layton and the Curious Village is worth checking out. The presentation, graphics and sound are all top notch, but the puzzles ramp up in difficulty pretty quick. Never tried Diabolical Box.

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I like the Final Fantasy remakes, but then I'm addicted to the series, even the Crystal Chronicle games. The Phoenix Wright games are also good. I've not played them but there are Final Fantasy strategy games, the Tactics ones.

14. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    I just got a DS Lite for free from a family member that didn't need it anymore, and I'm enjoying playing the heck out of Lego Star Wars: TCS (Which is the only game I have at the moment).

Are the other Star Wars games for the DS any good?

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I quite likes Lethal Alliance though the targeting system is a bit weird. Sometimes you can see the bad guy but you can't lock onto them to kill them. I enjoyed it though.

If you like Lego Star Wars you should check out the other Lego games as well.

16. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    Hey guys I need a little help. My friend recently let me have his original Nintendo DS since he just got the DSi and mine broke about a year ago. It works just fine except the fact that every time I try to connect to my home's wireless network it says that the router's security settings won't work with the DS. I have an Apple Airport Express Router and all my other wireless devices work just fine with it. I also did a quick Google search and couldn't find anyone else having the same problem. Ideas?

17. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    I have the same problem at home, with a new broadband router, quick solution was to use the older one. The thing is that DS only connects with WEP security settings, using a quick google search I found this nintendo site that even gives details on how to change the security settings on specific models. Here is the one that matched your description closely.

I can't really help you with these instructions though.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    3DS Hardware Specs Revealed

CPU: 2 x 266MHz ARM11
    GPU: PICA200 133MHz GPU by DMP
    RAM: 64MB
    Video RAM: 4MB
    Storage: 1.5GB Flash-based

The original Nintendo DS featured a pair of ARM processors running at 67 MHz and 33 MHz and a comparatively paltry 4 MB RAM. The Nintendo DSi had double the CPU clock speed and quadrupled the system's RAM, plus added 256 MB of flash-based storage.

For comparison, the PSP stats are:
    CPU: 2 x 333 MHz MIPS
    GPU: 133MHz GPU
    RAM: 32MB in 1x model, 64 MB in later models
    Video RAM: 4MB
    Storage: 16 GB in the Go

Also, people are saying those 3DS stats are seemingly underclocked for the architecture cited (ARM11 is said to go between 350-1000, 200 for the GPU).

Also, let the "Picatwo(hundred)" jokes begin! ;)

[image=http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/pikachu.jpg]

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone get or plan on getting Scribblenauts 2?

20. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Absotively posilutely!

21. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Well I'd love to hear your review when you do. I had some fun with the first installment, but got bored with is fast when I couldn't figure out how to solve a puzzle or if Max just ran into someone/thing and died when I didn't want him to move yet. I know they supposedly fixed all the problems with the first one, but I'd love to hear if it's actually fun and addicting to play like I expect the first one to be.

I'm still playing Picross 3D which is like a time machine. I get lost in that game.

22. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
  23. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, that is one of the more awesome things I've heard of recently. Now if only they would localize it, and there should be a decent chance they will. Layton is pretty popular (though we haven't gotten all the games, nor the movie yet, although another one just came out recently), and so is Phoenix Wright, and most of their games have been localized (not all the Layton ones, but all the recent Phoenix Wright games have been). Though considering how hard the puzzles are in English, I'm not even going to try them in Japanese. But still, just based on the trailer, it sure looks pretty, and its nice to see more Phoenix, even a non-canon Phoenix, but just really hope they don't deprive us of it in English. And yet another reason to buy a 3DS.

24. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Okay, I'm officially going to get the 3DS on day one now.:D

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, that trailer does look fantastic. I've not played the Layton games and I've only played the first Phoenix Wright game, but I'm definitely wanting to get that.

And also track down all the PW and Layton games.

Edit: it's not always a bad thing that we have to wait for these things, the first PW game was originally a GBA title that was ported to the DS with added touch screen features and an extra case that took advantage of all the DS features.