main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    http://palgn.com.au/nintendo-3ds/17950/nintendo-3ds-to-launch-with-around-10-titles-and-higher-software-prices/

Gre....at!?

2. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    http://au.ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143155p1.html

And more information.

3. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    And so the official United States of the 3DS was just announced- March 27, selling for $249.99. Nice, very nice. Now, have to go reserve one of those blue ones.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  5. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    They're on preorder at Amazon for £220 at the moment, and that's £10 less than RRP. I guess I was hoping they'd be a lot cheaper as I paid £250 for my 360 and that came with a £35 controller, Halo Reach, and some free DLC for Halo Reach. Mind you, I'd get one if I could afford to.

6. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Pre-ordered an Aqua Blue one already. I've had my DS Lite for quite awhile and I think it's time for an upgrade.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Radiant Historia

I'm gonna keep an eye open for this one- looks pretty neat with some cool mechanics. It'll make a ncie companion to that copy of Chronotrigger I've been trying to buy for 2.5 years ;).

8. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Hey all, im picking up either a DSLite or a DSi(not XL) later today. Was wondering if anyone knew of any benefits of the DSi over the Lite save the camera? Like are the visuals better or does it just have a camera as a gimmick?

Only asking because User reviews/opinions matter more than specs(like from Ninsite to me).

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    The screen is bigger, the CPU is faster, there's more RAM, it has a browser pre-installed, and it has an SD card slot. If I were to get either of the two then I'd get a DSi, though I already have a DS Lite so it's not worth it for me. The DSi battery life is shorter than the DS Lite, which may be a factor.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As I understand it, the main benefit to the DSi is the access to downloadable content/virtual console.

11. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    So, I picked up a DSLite. I dont need a mobile internet browser, or camera or anything as I have a phone. this seemed more economical.

I have a question if anyone can answer. My wireless at my house uses WPA-Personla security with TKIP encryption. Wi-Fi/Wireless on the DS cannot connect, and it doens give me an option to put in a password, is there a way to solve this without disabling my security?

I seem to remember my old DSLite connecting automatically, though i do not remember if i had security or not.

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    The DS Lite can't do all the encryption/security/etc that wi-fi routers can. I'd need to check as to what they can and can't do later as I don't really have time right now. However, I can tell you this quickly. Load up Pokemon or some other game that has wi-fi capability, there should be the wi-fi settings option in the menu, accessing that will let you put in the details of your network and that includes the security key. You might have to change the encryption of your wi-fi network but once your DS is set up it will connect automatically. Unlike the PSP it will go through your networks (up to three) until one works, whereas the PSP will try one and ask you to chose if that doesn't work.

If in doubt, the instruction manual should help.

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    DS doesn't support WPA, only (crappy) WEP.

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    So I'm thinking of upgrading my DS Lite to something new but I don't know what to go with. The DSi would be the cheapest option and the Pokemon Black edition is really quite nice. The DSi XL has the bigger screens though, which would be nice to have. Then there's the 3DS. I'm not sure how the screens compare to the DSi and DSi XL, but it does have the 3D screen, which should be cool. It is the most expensive one though, but the line up looks good.

Also, can anyone give a comparison of battery life between the three? My DS doesn't seem to last long and I'd like whatever I get to last a reasonable amount of time.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Had a quick go on a 3DS with Pilotwings Resort earlier today. The 3D is incredibly impressive and definitely more than just a gimmick thing. On full 3D there's a lot of depth and it feels a lot more like AR than it does a game. Time to start saving up for one.

16. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Jealous :(

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I gave Pilotwings a spin at the Best Buy kiosk earlier in the week- it is certainly neat and the 3D does add an excellent element of depth that helps judge distance to goals much more effectively.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Don't be, it was only a short go in a shop on their demo model. I can't actually afford to get one. :(

19. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I've spent a day and a half with mine now. It's lovely. The 3d works. The AR Games and Faceraiders are pretty good fun.
    I picked up Nintendogs (was at a midnight launch, got a load of free t-shirts and this as a result) and Pilotwings.
    So far, I'm pretty upset that there doesn't seem to be much of the functionality I wanted on it. No 3DSWare and no Virtual Console, and no given release date - and even the internet browser features a message saying "Not yet implemented, come back later". Very irksome.

In regard to the games I have Pilotwings is a shade of it's former self, I'd much have prefered Pilotwings 64 3D to this. I'd say it feels more like a Wii Sports Resort spin off, rather than a Pilotwings spin off.
    Nintendogs is cute, and much spanglier than the DS original. I've made cooing noises at it several times without realizing.

Otherwise, it's a neat bit of kit which I'll probably be using a lot more once some good games come out and they update to make it more than a glitter coated DS Lite.

Also, for all those who want to see how many hours I've been playing Nintendogs for, my 3ds friend code is 4897-5919-3066.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    From some of the reviews I've seen, they say Pilotwings starts off seeming like a slightly more simplified PW game, but that as you progress, you start unlocking interesting things like the squirrel suit for skydiving. Though those were initial reviews, so they hadn't progressed far enough into the game yet to determine if more hidden goodies await players later on in the game.

21. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Nintendo is still sticking with friend codes for the 3DS huh? Ugh. :([face_frustrated]

22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    So apparently the 3DS will be using Augmented Reality in some of its games. I haven't looked into this properly but I read on the Nintendogs game box that the 3DS comes with AR cards and it gave a demonstration picture of what it does with Nintendogs. I love AR and think it's a great thing. If the 3DS does make a lot of use of it then it'll be fantastic. :cool:

23. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    I assume everyone is enjoying the heck out of their 3DS? I'm planning on getting one when different colors for it are released and for more games to come out.

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'll be picking mine up when I can afford one. I'm hoping the prices will drop a bit too.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hopefully I'll be able to afford one by year's end, but I'm not in a rush since I still have plenty of regular DS games to hold me over till then (to play on my Still-Looks-Better-Everywhere-But-the-Screen-Than-the-Lite original DS :)).