main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Btw, I heard the 3DS can browse the internet much like a smartphone? How well does that work?

2. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/news/3ds-ambassador-game-boy-advance-games-arrive-this-friday

Much in line with everyone else? Minish Cap looks good. :)

3. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Well, for xmas we got a 3DS along with Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and Starfox 64 3DS.

I have to say that i am surprised by how much i am enjoying MarioLand. It's the first pure Mario game since MARIO 64 came out way back when that actually feels fresh and exciting. The 3D stuff is put to very good effect. I get a genuine sense of Vertigo on some of the levels where you're way up on a platform looking down at another
    platform some ridiculous distance away that you have to land on. I am surprised to say it is the one i have played the most, so far. I thought it would be the least interesting!

Mario Kart 7 is exactly what i expected. Pretty fun, though i have to admit the 150cc races are genuinely challenging right now (Though the game does cheat A LOT. If you're
    in first by a fair bit, you're guaranteed to get nuked before the end of the race and be fighting for your life.)

I like having 8 cars in multiplayer rather then 4.

Starfox: boy i have to say i didn't read up on this one beforehand, otherwise i would not have bought it. No online multiplayer? Really? I LOVED playing STARFOX command online on the first DS. I just assumed this would have an even better online experience. Instead it has NO online experience. The single player game is still fun, but
    i really wish i had picked up something else. I would have done so if i had known there was no online!

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually didn't know it lacked online multiplayer- so I'm guessing the much-touted video reaction multiplayer is local only? Kinda defeats the purpose if I can just look at the person sitting near me for their reaction.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I was thinking of getting a 3DS, but I want the limited edition Zelda one and I can't find it anywhere for its retail price of $199.99. There's no way I'm going to buy it for $250+ on ebay. Anyone know where I can score one for $199.99?

6. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Yep, local multiplayer only. Apparently Nintendo claims that in the time allotted they couldn't produce online multiplayer, but that's just lame when Starfox Command had one, and was pretty fun to play to boot!

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    So, I preordered the Pikachu edition 3DS XL! I haven't got it yet but I thought I'd see if there are any games worth getting. Pokemon White 2 is a definite. Are there any others you guys would recommend?

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm thinking of getting a 3DS XL also, but I am skeptical as to how long such a device will be around before the next one comes along. It's still a pretty new device and so not that cheap to buy.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am still seriously considering getting a 3DS, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, and Super Mario 3D Land.

10. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Super Mario 3D Land is a must.

11. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    The GAME store chain here are offering anyone who trades in their DSi & a Professor Layton game a deal to get a 3DS and the new Professr Layton & the Miracle Mask for only £69.99, that or the same deal for a 3DS XL for £109.99

These both seem like good deals, I rarely use my DSi much now and I can play my old games on it anyway. But which one to get [face_thinking]

12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo's pushing a tempting Mario Kart 7 3DS XL bundle package this holiday season. The blue is nice, but not the best color to tempt me (then again, I just dug out my ice blue Game Boy Pocket and was taken aback at how damn gorgeous that thing was).

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I had a moment of weakness when they announced the Pikachu edition and forgot to cancel the preorder. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)
    I'm loving the feel of it, tbh. I'm really digging this whole 3D gaming thing too, which has surprised me.

I have a question though. If I play my DS pokemon games in my 3DS, will I have to start over from the beginning? I see, to recall the online side being tied to the console, but I'm not sure about save games and such.

15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its still debatable whether 3D gaming is another gimmick which will wear off eventually like the Wii's motion control did... but the 3DS definitely has quite a few good games by now, so that's a strong point. I still fondly remember my old Green Game Boy Color (probably my favorite generation still, at least partially because of the original Pokemon Gold/Silver).

Your DS games should be fine, I think the 3DS is compatible with all DS stuff, outside of any peripheries that plugged into the old GBA slot (like, say, transferring Pokemon from the 3rd gen to 4th gen, but that's ancient by now). The wi-fi settings might be messed up a bit, moving from one DS system to another (you might lose friend codes, or wonder cards, I never found out for sure), but playing the main game itself should be fine. Not sure about the aspect size though, sometimes the image looks a bit odd depending on how big the newer screen is, but its just Pokemon, so shouldn't be a big deal.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    My DS Pokemon White works fine on the 3DS XL, it's just a little stretched on the much larger screen.

I enjoy the 3D effect, but I find I don't use it an awful lot. it's fine for exploring areas but with fast-moving stuff I find it just gives me a headache. Especially as you have to keep the console very still in order for the 3D effect to actually work, unlike with 3D that uses glasses where even if you move your head from side to side the image is the same.

I hear games such as Ocarina of Time are great in 3D, I will get the new Professor Layton for Christmas and review say the 3D is used well in that too (especially the Victory Finger).

It will be nice to get a free game, all the big titles for the 3DS right now are rather expensive especially in the e-shop so any opportunity to get one for little or nothing is welcome.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think the 3D will go away, but it will be leveraged for particular genres. 3D platformers (or FPS titles with platforming elements) benefit the most from it, since it's essentially the ultimate solution to platforming depth perception problems that have existed since Mario 64, without having to introduce compensating abilities like FLUDD, Space Jump or a Zelda auto-jump.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ok, so my 3DS battery is low, which I didn't think was a problem as they work with DSi chargers. What I didn't realise is that the DS and the DSi have different chargers, so my DS charger won't work with it. Now I have to wait for a new charger to arrive before I can play my 3DS! :_|

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I was fortunate my 3DS XL came with a £10 vouncher which I used to get a charger.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I have had trouble doing this seeing as I registered before I was aware of the promotion. Any idea how I get the download code?

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't, no. Sorry. Maybe try contacting Nintendo and asking them?

Edit: when you log in is there a promo banner at the top? If there isn't then click the arrows on either side. If there is, the click it.

I can't decide between Mario and Professor Layton. :(

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I already have Layton, it is good but I hear Mario 3D World is better.

Most links say that even if you registered before the promotion you can get a code but none say how. I assume Nintendo will send one, but I prefer not to wait around hoping an email will appear.

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  24. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Problem is that every time I go onto the club Nintendo UK site and sign in I get no banner regarding the promotion (that I can see anyway). All I get is the homepage and the product registration/star catalogue options.

If I use the 3DS tab and click the promo banner there I just get this page which then links at the bottom to the T&C page.