main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Maybe they'll have to organize another fan campaign to release the New 3DS and Xenoblade port in English? :p

Tad confusing though. At least the DSi was a slightly different design and I don't remember many games that required DSi but wouldn't work on DS (though my memory isn't that good). Especially with how they increased the New 3DS's power to get Xenoblade to run on it. Xenoblade is really a surprise, didn't think they would port it, but whenever Xenoblade Chronicles X comes out, it'll probably help build up momentum for the next game.

Hm, wonder if they'll keep the 2DS for regular 3DS games, then phase out the old non-extra analog stick 3DS in favor of the new one? With the Amiibo function built into the next model, that will probably fit in nicely with Smash Bros' launch. At least in Japan, too bad the rest of the world won't be getting these soon (if ever).

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm really not sold on the concept of this thing because my digital games (And I do own a couple - thanks, Capcom, thanks so much) are tied to my XL and not my account, so I can't "merely" upgrade at Gamestop or what have you. It's also being pitched as more of a DSi style tweak than a full-blown new handheld, so I think the library of true exclusives is going to be at the mercy of the utterly bear market that is the Japanese handheld industry.

So skepticism and waiting for me - same as it ever was.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, hopefully Nintendo will finally make things tied to an account instead of hardware so it'll help facilitate 3DS upgrades.

I would assume the 3DS/XL will get phased out after Xmas so that the N3DS/XL (and 2DS) can be the only one on shelves when it launches to minimize consumer confusion.

4. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    My Gamestop made such an accommodation for me when I updated to the 3DS XL. I bought the XL at full price, brought it home, and transferred the save data to the new system. I then returned it to the store, got a refund, then traded in my old 3DS for store credit towards rebuying the XL.

It's annoying, but possible.

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, that sounds like a pain. There'd have to be enough exclusives to justify the upgrade, IMO.

6. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Just picked up a 3DS and Mario Kart 7 today after some nagging from a good friend of mine. Loving every second so far.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  7. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    MK7 is dead to me. What possessed them to put Queen Bee and Metal Mario in before Waluigi?

8. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Waluigi had his time in Mario Kart DS, didn't he?

9. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, a bunch of new special edition 3DS got announced, all for Gamestop apparently. An NES-styled one, the Super Smash Bros. one announced for Europe previously, and a Persona one to go with Persona Q. Though as seems the trend for most special editions these days, the games aren't included.

I'm tempted by all of them, but buying 3 more models is too insane/expensive. Hm, the Persona design has a nice unique look, but there's only one Persona game on 3DS/Nintendo systems I think (though there are a few Shin Megami games). The Smash Bros. 3DS looks somewhat nice, though not my super favorite design. And the NES one looks wonderfully retro. Argh, all these temptations. Well, there's already more than enough Persona games to keep me busy this year anyway (compared to the normal pace anyway, with Persona 5 still a ways off), and already reserved the special Persona Q bundle anyway. Oh well, back to saving money.

10. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Nintendo isn't bundling the games with the special edition consoles? Sony and Microsoft do it all the time.

11. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    That's just how Nintendo does things these days. I think most of their 3DS XL bundles have been like that, I know last year's Pokemon X/Y bundles were like that. The Legend of Zelda bundle last year might have been the exception.

Also I don't think its any more expensive than the regular 3DS systems are, unlike the console bundles that include games where its a few dollars cheaper than buying the game and system separately (along with occasional special designs for the console themselves).

I"m tempted, but the problem is that looming over all 3DS purchases is that the New 3DS is going to come out next year, with improved hardware whereas these are just special designs. Some really nice designs in this instance (the retro-NES and the unique Persona one), but still, already thinking about the New 3DS. Too bad these designs couldn't have been the New system, that would have just made them even harder to resist (and would go well with Smash Bros.).

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's a fancy upgrade, but it seems more like 3DS.2 rather than something new.
    If they bring out a new Mario Kart exclusively for it I might consider getting it, otherwise I will wait

13. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    OK all, I've been tearing through (and absolutely adoring) Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land. What other games are must-owns for this system? Any older regular DS games I should try to hunt down, too?

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  14. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Mario and Luigi Bowser's Inside Story is a great DS game and my favourite game on the system. I would also recommend Super Scribblenauts if you like puzzle games too.

15. The Shadow Emperor

Sep 29, 2012
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf is one of the biggest must-haves, as is the soon-to-be-released Smash Bros 3DS. Ocarina of Time 3D and Star Fox 64 3D are both great classics that hold up well today, and A Link Between Worlds is a worthy sequel to one of the most revered SNES games. Kid Icarus: Uprising is a fun shooter, though a bit difficult to get used to. I've also heard great things about Fire Emblem Awakening, which is a tactical strategy game. New Super Mario Bros 2 is a bit on the easy side, but it's still a solid 2D platformer. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is great if you're looking for a more exploration-oriented game.

For DS games, Super Mario 64 DS and New Super Mario Bros. are both excellent choices. Mario Party DS and WarioWare: DIY are good choices if you're into minigames. Yoshi's Island DS is another great platformer, though a bit difficult at times. On the Zelda front there's Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, both of which were well-received. For a grittier exploration/shooter type game, I'd recommend Metroid Prime Hunters. And you might look into Mario Kart DS if you want your MK fix, but it is a fairly similar experience to the 3DS version.

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    My ability to recommend anything hinges pretty heavily on your tolerance for RPGs that involve a whole lot of dungeon crawling.

If that's your bag - the entire Etrian Odyssey series is worth looking into (Start with Untold, which is a souped-up remake of the original DS game, or Persona Q, which is an upcoming game based on the Persona series that uses the same engine), as are the DS and 3DS Shin Megami Tensei titles (Strange Journey, Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and IV) as well as the DS Dragon Quest titles (IV: Chapters of the Chosen, V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride, VI: Realms of Revelation, and IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies). The last ones will have the added benefit of making you bitter about Square Enix's terrible 3DS translation policy. Hooray?

If you prefer muh tactics I strongly recommend Fire Emblem Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, which are both perhaps the strongest entries in the SRPG genre in some time. If you enjoy the latter it's actually a remake of a DS game, and has a sequel on that system (The sequel's allegedly getting a remake someday).

If you ever enjoyed a Harvest Moon game, then paradoxically you should avoid Harvest Moon games. Instead, go for Rune Factory 3 and 4, which are basically Harvest Moon, but with some combat and good characters so you don't have to just go to bed at noon when the crops are tended to. The current generation of proper HM games is fairly awful.

If none of that sounds like something you'd enjoy, then at least look into the various Ace Attorney games that have been released for DS and 3DS over the years. They're charming lite adventure games, and there's going to be a 3DS release collecting the first three in one fairly inexpensive package soon.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The NES styled one is tempting, though I think the design is kinda flawed- they should have modeled it after the NES GBA and had that pattern inside the clamshell with the system design on the exterior.

Then again, it's hard to not love, say the Monster Hunter 4 design, even though I was utterly dissapointed by the MH3U demo...

[​IMG]

That's kind of a loaded question- the DS had arguably the greatest game library of any system shy the SNES.

For a platformer/puzzle hybrid, I highly, highly recommend Henry Hatwsworth and the Puzzling Adventure- it's a fantastic game with a good challenge curve.

For strategy, Advance Wars: Dual Strike is very, very cool.

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is pretty solid once you get the hang of it's singular expanding dungeon design. But an impressive feat porting Wind Waker-like gameplay to a portable. A Link between Worlds for 3DS is a better game though- though it is styled after the SNES Zelda game, it's wall art mechanics and use of 3D really make you reconsider how you play a game of this kind and how you approach obstacles in your way.

Mario Kart DS was my previous favorite entry in the Mk series before MK8 (though I haven';t played MK7 yet).

Tetris DS was hands down the best version of the game (with fun Nintendo-themed alt-modes), but the online multiplayer aspect will no longer function.

Retro Game Challenge was also a fun little title if you're in the mood for retro gaming, as it has multiple original 8-bit style games in a fun framework.

I was also a fan of Metroid Prime Pinball- a neat mix of pinball and shoot 'em up.

The Phoenix Wright games are a unique experience too- I've only played the first one but I think it's the type of game you should play at least one entry from,

Speaking of unique, Trace Memory left an impression in me. It's not a fast paced game, but I liked the story (and the game's title is just one of the more evocative ones I've ever encountered) and it was one of those mid/early DS experiments that made the system stand out as a platform of ideas.

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
  19. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Sorry for the double post but I ran out of editing time. The Phoenix Wright games are really good. I really like them. The latest one works surprisingly well in 3D considering it was all done in 2D art before. It looks like the 2D games in aesthetics and style but it's 3D without being over the top. If you want to give it a go, there's a demo for Dual Destinies which is different to how it actually plays out in the full game. At some point they'll be releasing the first three games in a bundle for the 3DS with 3D graphics. Definitely something I'll be picking up.

As for games I'd recommend? I love Bravely Default. It's a fantastic game with some great characters and really good story. It plays like the old Final Fantasy games, so if you're a fan of those then you'll love this. ACNL is another game I like. If you like collecting and building up towns then give it a go. There is a sale on at the moment. You might find some games that'll tempt you.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, another retro-styled recommendation: Shovel Knight is downloadable and is basically a great mixture of features from every great NES game (Mega Man, Duck Tales, SMB3, Zelda 2, Castlevania) rolled into one and the 3D looks particularly awesome with that art style.

21. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Big reveal happened this week. Australia had it's very first orientated Nintendo Direct and the news is that the NEW 3DS will be released this November in Australia and New Zealand.

After years of being overlooked or falling under Europe's shadow, it is a nice surprise to be leading the charge. Could also to do with the number of units they can get released and other factors like that.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    A new 3DS system update is out- adding access to the Theme Shop, which allows you to change the color scheme skin of the system menu and top screen to different colors (the black setting will be useful for late night, low-light level gaming so you wont be blinded by the pure white anymore, I think), or purchase additional themes (currently ranging from a Zelda one to multiple Marios, to patterns to Hanafuda cards).

(Though, personally, I feel I should get the ALBW theme for free for my ALBW 3DS... ;))

The themes change more than the wallpaper and color scheme though- folder icons and icon borders get customized (treasure chests and gold trim for Zelda, for instance) as well as background music (Zelda theme, etc).

23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've picked up the Zelda ALBW theme and here's a taste of what all the others are like too

Apparently there be some Smash Bros. ones on the way.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Stopped into the Capcom panel at NYCC yesterday- not a lot of new info but one interesting bit was they revealed that Monster Hunter 4 will have Samus in it (with a massive arm cannon).

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    First Zelda, then Sonic and now Metroid in Hunter. The character model for her looks nice, more like the Other M style but a bit different. Though kinda odd seeing Samus with a secondary larger cannon on her arm cannon but makes sense given what Monster Hunter is like.

EDIT: Trailer for Samus