main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. Bodknocks

Bodknocks Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 25, 2003
    No worries. You have to hold it up for almost a full second for it to power on. Flicking it won't do the trick. It's also heavily (and small) spring loaded and hugs the side closely. I carry it in my pocket all the time and I don't think I've ever had it power on or off on accident, except for the time I was carrying human thumbs in my pocket.

But that doesn't happen too often.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Honestly I've never had a power/start problem since they're on opposite sides of the console- in fact, I like having easy access to the power button, so once I save, it's a lot easier to shut the system off from the grip I already have on the system without shifting it- not that I'm lazy or anything but it's just easier to shut the system down in a single fluid series of motion, clockwise right to left (start button, confirm save, power button, clamshell close).

And I don't think the "hold" on the toggle switch would affect an accidental shifting in a pocket, where it could easily have pressure against it at the right angle from other gadgets n stuff in my pockets.

3. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Different problems caused by different designs then. That's why they made both!

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's true! ::)

It comes down to aesthetics in the end though- and I guess I just prefer my advanced technology to have that Aliens/Terminator/SW industrial edge to it instead of the Trek/utopian vibe. I guess hat's why I like the Phat- it's the DS Skynet would make ;)

5. Bodknocks

Jul 25, 2003
    Okay, but I'm telling you, that's never going to happen. It's just the way the button is made; random junk in your pocket isn't going to turn it on. And even if it could, at least it fits comfortably in your pocket, something that the phat is incapable of doing.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that and the screen brightness (for outside use) are the only things making me want to upgrade.

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I find the improved touch screen to be worth the upgrade as well. The old DS felt soft and squidgy, like you had to press on it hard to make it work, the new one is a lot harder but more responsive.

8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    So with the recent announcement of Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days, I'm planning on purchasing a DS in the near future. I browsed some gaming sites and found some games that I'd like to buy:

Mario Kart DS
    Yoshi's Island DS
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
    Super Mario 64 DS
    Sonic Rush
    Sonic Rush Adventure
    Super Princess Peach

Any other recommendations?

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Phantom Hourglass is coming out soon, which should be good. Also, Elite Beat Agents if you're willing to give your touch screen a good beating. :)

10. Bodknocks

Jul 25, 2003
    I just take a look at gamerankings, and get the stuff that's rated high and looks good. For the most part, the averaged ratings are pretty faithful to how good the games are, although there are a few I'd question.

11. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    FFIII and FFIV when it comes out.
    Pokemon Pearl or Diamond.

Oh, and there's also the GBA releases of the FF games, Golden Sun, and Boktai.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wanted to point out tthis article on kotaku - gotta love it when anti-game people just fabric impossible scenarios to demonize games. However, I must agree that if DS stood for Devil Screen, it would have been awesome.

13. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    Touching is good... [face_batting]

And I know this is technically the wrong thread for it but it amused me anyway:

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm sure I read somewhere that DS games work everywhere in the world, with no limitations like between NTSC and Pal in the US and UK. I can't confirm it, now, as I want to import Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations...

We're still on Justice For All, here. Painful. Hotel Dusk and CSI are to sustain me in-between...:_|

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    [face_laugh] That's great.

Has anyone heard of or played Dementium: The Ward? It was released recently and looks tempting.

16. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Yes, all Nintendo Handhelds are region free. Feel free to import. I have Jump SuperStars from Japan.

Granted I can't read Japanese, so I need to use a translator online, but meh.

17. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    has anyone tried out the "Are you Smarter than a 5th grader" DS game? Or "Flash Focus: Visual Training in minutes a day"? I've got an account with GameFly.com video game rental service and those two games are on my rent next list.

18. StarscreamPrime

StarscreamPrime Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2006
    I just had to mention how BRUTAL "Contra 4" is, for the DS. Honestly, I consider myself a "Contra" vet, and figured I would have a good chance of lasting at least until past the first stage. Five minutes, and five departed soldiers later, my first continue screen. [face_laugh] Still, for people that love the series, BUY THIS GAME!

19. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I can't find a Nintendo DS Lite. I have a regular old style, but I have problems with the microphone and would like the DS Lite due to the on/off switch instead of a power button.

Is it possible they'll get DSes in the stores once they get Wiis back in stock more often?

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Has anyone played Ultimate Mortal Kombat?

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    No, but I really need to get it. But I really REALLY need to get Guitar Hero: On Tour when it comes out. [face_dancing]

22. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    My DS Lite won't respond to my touch anymore. :(

23. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Try taking the screen protectors off.

24. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    My wife won't respond to my touch anymore. :(

;)

25. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Ouch, Hammurabi...maybe you should look into that?

I will try taking the screen protector off...hopefully that will work...but how will I protect my touch screen then?