main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming It Printed Money! In 3D! The Nintendo DS/2DS/3DS/N3DS/Mobile Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 9, 2004.

1. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I've been playing Mii Streetpass, seeing as I've found a few people on it (magically)! And that's about the most exciting thing I've been doing on it so far.
    This is probably the last time I'm going to be an early adopter of a new console.

2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    StreetPass is fun and I've encountered 26 different Miis on the streets so far. Aussie-Nintendo is organising a Sydney StreetPass event and I'm sure there are other groups around the world that be attempting to do something similar.

Japan will be getting a software update in May as well as the eShop feature launching. Excitebike will be a free download for the service but no word yet for when it be available outside of Japan.

We do have Zelda: OoT coming in June with Star Fox possibly coming out in July. I am looking forward to getting those and finding out more of what is to come at E3.

Personally, I am glad I got the system on launch. I have gotten a lot of use out of it, either with the games, AR, camera and music applications or streetpass. The family loves it too and will be getting another one down the track.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    E3 for 3DS:

-Mario Kart! (with glider items and underwater levels-available this holiday season)
    -Starfox (complete with "Do a barrel roll!" and live video face chat during combat)
    -Super Mario 3D (with full Tanooki Suit (though no sign of statue power)- by years' end)
    -Kid Icarus (with 3v3 multiplayer, also uses augmented reality cards to battle)
    -Luigi's Mansion 2! (Luigi gets scared when he sees a ghost...or looks directly at the screen with his flashlight [face_laugh]; also has several mansions)

3rd Party:
    -Resident Evil: The Mercenaries
    -Mario & Sonic at 2012 London Olympics
    -Ace Combat 3d
    -Tetris
    -Cave Story 3D
    -Resident Evil: Revelations
    -Driver Renegade
    -Pacman/Galaga Dimensions
    -Tekken 3D
    -Metal gear Solid Snake Eater 3D

eShop:
    -3D Classics Excitebike will be a free download via Virtual Console
    -Free Pokedex 3D for Black/White with augmented reality image options.

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Honestly I haven't been playing my 3DS much since launch, but while I'm sad Nintendo's launch hasn't gone that well, I still don't really regret buying it. Sooner or later it'll have been worth it. And with a list of games like that, its probably going to be sooner, especially with the Ocarina remake in a few weeks.

Mario and Mario Kart should turn out awesome. And ooh, Luigi's Mansion. I never got around to playing the original (though I bought a used copy before they completely disappeared, though I would've preferred a new copy if it had still been in print), but I've heard good things about it. Not quite a great launch title for the Gamecube, but still people are happy to hear more about it, so I take that as a good sign.

Here's hoping the second half of the year is better for Nintendo.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's funny but I think the DS proved that a portable's launch window doesn't necessarily matter, and it looks like the 3DS/PSV are repeating history almost exactly.

Think about it- the DS launches big, but lacks strong titles (with just an N64 port (Mario 64), a small franchise demo game (WarioWare) and a delayed high-profile title (Metroid Prime Hunters) and is soon overwhelmed by the PSP's strong launch. Sales slow and people start selling their DS's to buy PSP's.

Then, suddenly, developer's start figuring out what to do with the dual screens and touch screen, and the games start hitting, building up to a Mario Kart release.

Meanwhile the PSP isn't able to capitalize on it's launch and starts falling victim to it's tech. Now people are suddenly selling their PSP's to buy back a DS.

And where are we now? 3DS launches big but lacks strong titles (with an N64 port (OOT), a small franchise demo game (Pilotwings Resort) and a delayed high-profile title (Kid Icarus) with a strong launch selection by the PSV coming up soon.

But, now releases are starting to hit the 3DS, building up to a Mario Kart release.

Now, granted, some things are different this time around (pricing difference, touch tech and UMD) and the timeframe is more compressed, but the comparisons are too great in number to ignore.

EDIT-

For the DS, we also have Kirby Mass Attack to look forward to.

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Nintendo's 3DS conference was great. All of those quality titles make me want to rush out and buy one now.

7. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, it hasn't even been a full year (or even six months, I think), and Nintendo is already cutting the 3DS' price. Maybe its in even worse shape than people had been speculating about, with the price dropping from $250 to $170. Hm, maybe they're making sure to cut the price before the PS Vita comes out? Since that's the new competition and if they had the same price by this holiday season, that might've been dangerous.

Although I'm not too sad about buying one early since apparently we're getting some free NES games (can the 3DS play NES games? Never looked into that yet) and exclusive GBA games, assuming I'm reading the article correctly. And there are several GBA games on that list I really would like, so at least Nintendo is giving something to the early adopters.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/118/1184670p1.html

And sounds like Super Mario 3D Land is coming in November with Mario Kart 7 (I think their final titles were just announced) coming in December, so that's at least two hot sellers there.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah it looks like NES VC is a new feature being added to the downloadables.

It's a smart move for Nintendo- it eliminates the one thing that got people excited about the Vita and makes it extremely easy for anyone on the fence to get one now. Combgine the expanded downloadables selection and upcoming lineup, it's a very smart move.

9. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    after hearing this, i've been debating buying a 3ds before the price drop, solely to get my hands on those downloadables. that's about $100 worth of games for an $80 price reduction.

10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Nintendo Loses Over $300M

Following a bold price cut for its 3DS system, Nintendo has revealed its second quarter earnings for 2011. The results are not good.

The Japanese publisher continues to struggle to adjust to falling DS and Wii sales while supporting the launch of the Nintendo 3DS and preparing for the arrival of Wii U. During the last 3 months, Nintendo has lost 25.5 billion yen (about $330 million).

Citing the aforementioned price drop, as well as the "sales outlook for the holiday season" and exchange rates between the U.S. dollar and Japanese yen, Nintendo slashed its net income projections by 82%, from 110,000 million yen to 20,000 million yen. Its net income the year prior was 77,621 million yen.

Outside of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, and Star Fox 3D in Japan, Nintendo has yet to ship any major releases for either the Nintendo 3DS or Wii. That will change in the second half of the year, as Star Fox ships globally along with Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Eep.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    These are reductions in the forecast- and those reductions include the 3DS price cut which, apparently, is the first time Nintendo will be selling a system at a loss, which makes it a bit more understandable.

But, considering the amount of $$ they've brought in over the past 4 years, I wouldn't worry too much about the Big N just yet.

Anyways, someone on Kotaku posted this when it was annoucned the next Mario Kart will be called Mario Kart 7:

[image=http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/9/2011/07/5c0303aab4bf2abf957271d5a339cce5/original.jpg]

12. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, while it looks like bad news for Nintendo, after how much they accumulated during the last few years of Wii and DS dominance they're not going to fade anytime soon. Although I keep hearing them say that the holiday season is extremely important and its probably true with them selling million of DSes every Black Friday. Which reminds me, wonder if they'll have more limited color editions this year too or will have moved onto 3DS bundles by now (probably more DSi bundles).

It does seem like the first time they've had to sell a system at a loss, which is kind of a bad sign since usually they always break even at least on their systems, but guess the tech in the 3DS is more expensive and advanced than usual. Although Sony is probably going to take an even bigger hit since the tech in the Vita sounds very expensive too, but guess they were planning on at least matching the 3DS.

Heh, cute picture, but it seems kind of odd for Nintendo to call a Mario Kart by number, I was just expecting them to follow the "Mario Kart system name here" format. Mario Kart DS, Wii, etc. Although there were the GBA and Gamecube titles, but those didn't stand out that much (at least compared to the DS version). Huh, haven't seen a Super Mario Land for a very long time. Wonder if they'll throw in any references from the old ones (recently downloaded the original Super Mario Land, which was somewhat different from a regular Mario game) or if it'll be more like Galaxy (since its not just a 2D platformer).

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was happy to see them add Land to the title. Nice throwback.

14. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Going shopping today, so what games would people recommend for the 3DS? :)

Already have Zelda, Streetfighter and Nintendogs and cats. Res Evil maybe?

15. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I heard Mercenaries is good but it apparently has a big flaw. You can't overwrite old saves. So no starting over from scratch.

16. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nice! I like the DK Country Returns course, and all the gliding and underwater stuff looks cool. Seems as though they've pretty much kept the basic format and SFX from Mario Kart Wii.

18. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Yeah, the gliding looks like a fun addition.

19. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    So, anybody else picked up Super Mario 3D Land yet? And despite the name, it sadly has little to do with the original Super Mario Land and Six Golden Coins (ah, that is an old favorite of mine, glad they put it up on the 3DS' Virtual Console already). Basically it plays like most of the recent 3D Mario games, not exactly like Galaxy with its space/planets theme, but not as pure 2-D platformer as New Super Mario Bros./Wii. The 3D is done quite well, although my eyes still have a hard time with 3D. It is definitely an excellent game and possibly the first must-buy non-remake/port game on the 3DS (though that's kind of a sad thing to hear, but some of the more optimistic articles I've read point out that the DS took a while to get going too), so its a nice start for Nintendo's holiday season, here's hoping Mario Kart 7 is equally as good (if not better). Now back to playing.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  21. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    My 5 year old son has discovered my old DS lite and MarioKart, so my wife and i decided to pick up a 3DS for the family for xmas with the new Mario Kart, MarioLand and Starfox (my request :p)

I am interested in seeing how it all turns out.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I would assume "awesome".

23. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Haha, i assume this also :p

The new MarioKart does look fun! I like the underwater stuff and the gliders! My son is super stoked. i can't wait for xmas morning!

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Excerpts from two articles on IGN about 3DS sales:

Sales of 3DS were also strong, up 325% since the first week of November. This is largely thanks to sales of Super Mario 3D Land, which has sold 500,000 copies since launch, becoming the fastest-selling portable Mario title ever.

"What this has been able to do is drive our Nintendo 3DS business in only eight months to surpass the full first year volume of the original DS and we still have the bulk of the holiday to go," Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told USA Today.

The 3DS has sold 1.65 million units in the United States thus far. Fils-Aime added that Mario Kart 7, which releases on December 4th, is also expected to "continue driving our full-year sales" of the system.

"In sales through this past Saturday - 8 months - it has outsold the full 12 months of the original DS," he said. "During that 12 months' time, the original DS sold 2.37 million and we just surpassed that this past Saturday, so we've got real good momentum going into the holidays."

Like the Wii, Fils-Aime says the DS will continue to be supported, even alongside a newer system.

"As we introduce new platforms, we don't forget about the legacy platforms, so DS is going to be very important over this holiday season and through 2012," he said. "We're going to continue releasing games for those platforms and licensees will also continue releasing games for those platforms for as long as consumers tell us it's a viable option for them. We really look to the consumer to tell us when it's a good time for us to fully transition to the new platform."

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Figured I'd repost this in here too:

Though I actually started playing it about 1.5 months ago and more or less stopped after a few sessions, I recently played Prism: Light the Way for the DS.

Was mainly playing it because I was researching different light & mirror puzzle games (or games that utilize L&M puzzles, besides Zelda) as inspiration for a game design I was doing for class that utilized L&M puzzles. There aren't too many out there of notable quality, and Prism falls somewhere in the middle on average, I think.

It's not that the puzzles aren't good- they can be challenging and the multi-color light makes for a good challenge (without being too ridiculously complex like the single beam color shifting of Lumen (an iOS game)), but the overall theme is just offputting- they out this stupidly cutesy story to it with Globos and Bulboids but don't do anything with it to try to rise it above those trappings. You feel like it's an adult/teen challenge wrapped in a TV show for 2 year olds.

So, once you get past the theme and the multiple training levels (they go for about 2 dozen levels), it's not so bad, but the theme comes across so slapdash it drags the overall quality of the title a lot.