main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST It seems like there is a correlation...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ThorOdinson, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Not sure about that. Definitely fans are passionate and vocal about what they like and dislike. But judging from the people I know personally who are not Star Wars fans but have seen at least one of the Prequels, I hear pretty much the same things: that was a terrible movie(s), that guy playing Anakin was a bad actor (Lloyd or Christensen, interchangeable) they were boring, jar jar was annoying. Just my personal experience, so I know that is a small sample size. I've defended the aspects of the prequels that I enjoy but it always seems to come back to those main points.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

2. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    I'd be happy if Luke trains Leia in a future episode. Only time will tell...

3. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    The only evidence you need that the Prequels aren't 'universally hated' by general audiences can be found in the form of the films' Box Office totals. Most of the revenue generated by those 3 films came from the general audience, not the SW fandom. If the Prequels - particularly AotC and RotS - were universally hated by general audiences, they would've LOST money over time rather than MAKING money.

Aayla_Amidala likes this.
  4. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    I like all seven Star Wars movies. Weird right?

5. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002

Not at all.

I do as well; I just don't like TFA as much as I would have had it been made with a different mindset and approach.

6. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    I might agree, but only after watching the entire trilogy. Then we will know for sure.

7. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Rian Johnson appears to have a far more even-keeled and nuanced viewpoint on the franchise than Abrams and Kasdan, at least if his comments on the Prequels are any indication, so I think there's a very good possibility that the straightforward approach taken on TFA will end up being an outlier.

8. Aayla_Amidala

Aayla_Amidala Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 24, 2009

Thank you, this was my exact thought! Everyone I saw it with thought it had elements of the OT, but really resembled the PT way more. For all the talk of getting away from the PT and getting back to practical effects, I thought it looked much more like the prequels. For the record I like the OT and the PT equally, some days the PT a bit more, and I thought TFA was great!

9. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    For everyone thinking this is some sort of PT gusher conspiracy, TFA is taking fire from all over the fandom.
    IMDB Review Page

10. Aayla_Amidala

Aayla_Amidala Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 24, 2009

I think you're right on. The general population likes the prequels - the children that grew up around them certainly like them better than the OT. Look at how well the clone wars cartoons did. Just a thought, but I think most of the people that despise the PT are those that grew up with the OT, and wanted it to be the OT. My daughter likes Jar Jar and thinks Chewie is annyoing. Go figure.

11. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Yes. An 8.9 and #19 on the top 250 movies of time list. Clearly it's terribly hated. :rolleyes:

Now I'm sure it will slip a bit in the ratings but using IMDB as an example to show a large amount of negative reception to TFA is downright silly.

ThorOdinson likes this.
  12. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    I would bet money that a very significant portion of the general audience that made the Prequels financially successful consisted of individuals who grew up on the OT, but were not an active part of the SW 'fandom'.

13. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I love the Star Wars saga! Just saw TFA and it was amazing! I like the prequels, too!

14. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Indeed we did, as we were curious about the backstory and the completion. We were all right there just as eager to see those movies as we were to see this one and the next, actually more so. Now, I don't know exactly what you mean by "SW 'fandom" unless you're referring to messageboard followers and convention goers.

15. thoso1973

thoso1973 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 8, 2015
    My sentiments echo what I heard a reviewer boil it down to: TFA had some 'film problems' but very little Star Wars problems'. In comparison, the Prequel films had massive 'Star Wars problems'.

relapse5127 likes this.
  16. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    That's part of what I was referring to, but not all. I define a fandom as being any collection of individuals whose love of a particular property is so great that it leads them to focus on or obsess over anything and everything related to said property, whereas I define the general audience as being anyone who likes or has a casual interest in a particular property.

17. AllAboutThatMace

AllAboutThatMace Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    I've noticed this correlation as well. But honestly, if someone legitimately thinks the prequels are good movies, I can safely assume that their personal taste in films--and what they want from a Star Wars film--are so completely alien to my own that it'd be silly to expect them to like the movies I do.

ThorOdinson and relapse5127 like this.
  18. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    1. The massive grave of dead Jedi shows me that he did. Kylo Ren running around shows me that he did. Seriously everything Luke knows that Yoda wants him to pass on at that very moment is summed up in giving piggy back rides. Luke can pass on what he has learned to any rando at a bar in like a chit-chat conversation.
    2. Nothing points out that she didn't get any training. And that wasn't a 'must-do', that's a sentiment and desire that you have. Me too. I'd love it if she got trained. It's the thing I wanted most, but has never been a deal-breaker.
    3. Yeah they were a couple. They even had a kid. Devoted too.
    4. The Empire was defeated.
    5. If this is prophecy stuff. The only actual prophecy is "bringing balance to the Force" and a chosen one who will do that. The Sith's involvement was conjecture and extrapolation by Obi-Wan/Jedi Council.

19. JediMasterSven

JediMasterSven Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Plus, c'mon she kinda sense Han's passing through the Force, kind of like how Yoda sensed oh, every single Jedi during Order 66 in ROTS.

20. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    I guess she just prefers frogs over dogs?

Aayla_Amidala likes this.
  21. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    Just picked up on your should have been Finn vs Phasma bit...I'm calling it now, I would not be surprised at all to see a fight between Finn and a disgraced Phasma in VIII or IX. I could see that being an entire subplot for his character, not unlike Han Solo vs. Jabba/Boba Fett. Put perhaps handled a bit better than blindly knocking a staff into a jet pack. As far as I could tell she didn't die in the movie.

22. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I love the PT AND TFA.

...what do you mean I'm not allowed in this club? How dare you keep me out!

ThorOdinson likes this.
  23. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    When Disney comes around to making a prequel trilogy to the prequel you will see all the OT fanboys go nuts again. Such is life. [face_clown]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.