main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It SHOULD be the power generator...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by NtriusBIL, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NtriusBIL

NtriusBIL Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2004
    In ROTJ, Lando tells his pilots to "...lock onto the strongest power source, it SHOULD be the power generator."

Did he have a plan for if the strongest power source WASN'T the power generator? What if some storm trooper was microwaving some leftover chili or had just flipped on his vacuum and the generator dimmed for a second. He would be extremely punished for his eating or vacuuming, but they'd have been at a loss for where the power generator was...

2. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Point well made - but Lando's statement begs the question: "What would be the strongest power source if not the power generator?"

I can just imagine them blasting the beejibbers out of the Emperor's newly-installed 6.1 THX-approved surroundsound sytem with 46" plasma monitor screen.

But, seriously, wouldn't the big Death-Star superweapon be the next big power source? Even if the guys manning it just have to shield their eyes to fire it...:rolleyes:

3. NtriusBIL

NtriusBIL Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2004
    Yea, it is a silly question in a lot of ways. Really the only power "source" would have to be the generator... unless the computers kept trying to lock on to some local star.

It does make me laugh to imagine the Emperor's surround sound getting blowed up. I wonder if that would have distracted him...

4. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

You underestimate the power of the generator...

:p

5. Dirty-Darth

Dirty-Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    I think they didnt know that power generator was the thing on the side, it could have been somewhere else. And since its "should" be the strongest power source, aim for the strongest power source (which turned out to be the thing on the side) and hope its the power generator.

6. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Jedi Master star 2

May 18, 2004
    It's also possible that there were multiple power sources. I'm sure the Death Star had more than one generator, maybe a backup or 2. These other generators were probaly dispersed from the main generator, for security reasons. The Falcon and Wedge were going for the MAIN reactor.

7. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Maybe the Falcon would have accidentally locked onto The Emperor. :)

8. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    MY QUESTION IS,

Why is there is always a convenient way to blow up these deathstars?

In ANH, lets leave a hole there that leads to the vulnerable spot, so a ship can fire it's missles into it. Hello, think Empire!

In ROTJ, hey, lets leave open areas so ships can maneuver threw and reach the vulnerable spots. I dunno, ever hear of building a wall?, blocking the entrance.

9. Dirty-Darth

Dirty-Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    In ROTJ, hey, lets leave open areas so ships can maneuver threw and reach the vulnerable spots. I dunno, ever hear of building a wall?, blocking the entrance.

The second death star was under construction and just over half way built...there were probably holes all over the place.

10. Diogonese

Diogonese Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2002
    ...yep, they're called PLOT holes.

11. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I imagine the large holes were for construction purposes: if the Death Star II were completeted, they'd be turned into micro-exhaust ports. But I agree, the lousy contractors aboard should have temporarily sealed the tunnels with an impending battle and all. I guess it's just overconfidence, cause the Empire assumed the shield woulnd't even go down in the first place.

And that main reactor produces a LOT of power, there can be no confusing it with anything else.

12. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    "Why is there is always a convenient way to blow up these deathstars?"

Everything has a weakness. It would be impossible to make something as vast and complex as the Death Star without it having a weak point.

13. geordiejedi1982

geordiejedi1982 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    I didn't have a problem with the tunnels and stuff going towards the reactor. What bothered me more was the fact the route on the way out seemed like a straight line! They spend ages doing all this fancy flying around small gaps, then after blowing up the reactor they just fly along a nice wide tunnel straightforward and escape...perhaps should have chosen their route a bit more carefully?

14. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    They spend ages doing all this fancy flying around small gaps, then after blowing up the reactor they just fly along a nice wide tunnel straightforward and escape...

Well, it you're in a hurry and you need to get out quickly, a straight tunnel like that is the best route to use. You don't want to faff about avoiding huge pipes and stuff when there's a huge fireball right behind you.

15. geordiejedi1982

Jun 22, 2004
    I know that...what I meant was that Lando and company must have been kicking themselves when they found that easy route out, since they could have used it to go in as well. I got the impression it was shorter (since they manage to get out before the whole thing explodes), and was easier flying, they could have had it so much easier!
    Still, I absolutely love the whole sequence of the death star attack, so i'm not complaining about making them fly through twisty things

16. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    Aah, got yer.. ;)

Yeah, it would be a bummer if you found that you could've got in there a lot easier than you did. Tho I suppose if you use the same route in and out there is the possiblity of when you're going out you might run in to the TIE fighters that were chasing you on the way in.

17. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003

Um, they did block the entrance. They had this huge freakin shield all the way around it.

18. geordiejedi1982

Jun 22, 2004
    Um, they did block the entrance. They had this huge freakin shield all the way around it.

And to really confuse the rebels, they should have put a shield around the shield generator on endor...but have that shield generator on the death star...

So in order to destroy the bunker on Endor, you need to destroy the death star...
    But in order to destroy the death star, you need to destroy the bunker on Endor...

But thats what you get for not planning ahead!

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As I recall, the Death Stars have a few (4?) smaller reactors supporting the main reactor core, so Lando's comment is probably guessing that the strongest source should be the main reactor, but, depending on how close they are, one of the support reactors may have theoretically showed up as the strongest power source if they were closer to it.

20. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Um, there WERE quite a few turns on the way to the reactor. One TIE fighter didn't negotiate the turn well enough and bounced off the wall and exploded.

I think the Falcon and Wedge both looped around and headed back out the way they came in. We didn't see as much of their exit flight as we saw of their entry flight, but I'm sure they had to deal with all the same curves.

What I find amusing about the whole thing is that many of the spaces the Falcon goes through are juuuuuust wide enough for it. I mean, that's a pretty large ship to take for a spin inside the Death Star!

BTW, what was the "power regulator" Wedge had to blow up? I always wondered what it was for, why Wedge had to blow it up, and how it helped Lando destroy the reactor.

21. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Did the Power Regulator interfere with Lando's being able to lock on to the main reactor?

22. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I'm assuming the destruction of the "power regulator" allowed the reactor to "just go nuts". That's what destroyed the reactor. It overloaded and exploded.

It would be similar to removing the control rods from a real life nuclear reactor. China Syndrome!

23. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    I belive the most powerful sorce on the DS is Palpatine himself.

24. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    What I find amusing about the whole thing is that many of the spaces the Falcon goes through are juuuuuust wide enough for it. I mean, that's a pretty large ship to take for a spin inside the Death Star!

Hey, the Millenium Falcon DID lose its main radio dish when it collided into that pipe... ;)

25. AlphaTrion-TJW

AlphaTrion-TJW Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2003
    I would have loved to seen Han's face when Lando landed with the main-dish missing. "Lando I just got my TIVO wokring with that thing."

Way I figure the regulator is that the Falcon alone might not have enough punch to case teh reactor to completely overload and destroy the station before some safety kicked in and stopped the power-systems from overloading. With the regulator gone the damage done by the MF probably caused a massive feedback/power surge that chained reacted through the rest of the DSII's power systems.

As for the strongest powersource comment. With the station on combat alert, secondary systems online, weapons going, etc, etc, there's probably enough EM interference floating around inside those service conduits to throw up a ton of sensor ghosts. Basically Lando was hoping they didn't take a right when they should have went left and end up missing the target. After all it was a one shot deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.