main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST It was the day the Stormtroopers rebelled.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediAce1, Feb 23, 2016.

1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    What was Han's destiny..?

2. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Falling in love with Leia I suppose? He really didn't have one.

I will remind you back in the 80s Harrison wanted to be killed off because he didn't see the purpose for Han to be in the story any further.

3. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    All a destiny is is a destination.

Han's destiny was to fall in love with Leia, yes. It was also to go from scoundrel to rebel hero. It was also to die at his son's hand, etc.

According to John, Finn "doesn't have his destiny spoken of in a distant prophecy", and that's all we know about it at this point. I'm hoping for something less predictable than: Finn assists the Resistance and then settles down with a nice girl to sire the next generation of Star Wars characters.

4. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

Blastaar likes this.
  5. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Absolutely, but I have this uneasy feeling that's exactly what's going to happen though.

It's nice that Finn goes on missions for the Resistance in VIII, but what exactly is his purpose? They have to deeply explore his stormtrooper life if his story is going to be engaging and compelling.

6. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Sooooo what destiny awakened? Do you have an answer?

7. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016
    That's really going to depend on how KK, RJ, et al. view the character.

If Finn's primary purpose in the franchise is to provide humor and give Rey someone to care about then he may just have funny little adventures of no real import and wind up with a happy ending or be killed off to make Rey cry.

If they view him as an inspirational figure for young fans, the way they view Rey, they may put effort into giving him a journey that's significant and culminates in achievements that truly impress.

They never really talk about Finn or his place in the franchise so it's hard to guess how they view him.

JediAce1 and La Calavera like this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, apparently he was destined to follow his conscience and defy orders he knew were wrong, even though it could have cost him his life. He was apparently destined to follow that up by selflessly caring for his new friends' well-being, and then destined to help the Resistance destroy SKB. And now we wait to see what's next for him in Episode VIII.

Edit: And this discussion really belongs more in the Finn thread, which is open again now.

Darth Smurf and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I like this idea too. I think I've mentioned it before but I wouldn't be surprised if we see Finn reach out to one of his old Stormtrooper buddies with the hopes that maybe they'll help him and Resistance.

JediAce1 likes this.
  10. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Just saw this thread now. Never knew it existed. Certainly didn't know it was around since February.

As for Finn starting a stormtrooper revolt, That's the first thing I thought of when I heard the first rumors of him being a turncoat trooper. After seeing TFA, I was pretty much 99.99999% sure that is exactly what Finn's role will be. There was a lot of discussion about how the First Order (back when we discussed actually bringing the Empire back) that it had to decay from the inside. Here you have Finn who turned against them. He mourned a friend. There are now rumors that he will be noticed by an old friend trooper in Episode 8. Certainly there will be hardcore evil troopers, but for sure there will be more who think as Finn did and will want to do as he did.

In AOTC, the clone troopers helped the good guys. But it was a ploy as they turned against the good guys in ROTS and were led by Anakin/Vader.The rightful cycle would be if, once again, the troopers, now who are real people stripped from their families, revel against the very entity they were "programmed" to serve. It's not only a good idea, but, to me, it almost HAS to happen. It gives Finn a HUGE role moving forward.

Finn leads the ground assault Poe leads the air assault Rey leads the Force/Jedi assault all the way to victory. To me, it's all common sense.

How do you do this? Well, I'm not sure what is going to happen in Episode 8, but we can have Finn stranded somewhere with several stormtroopers. They all need to survive and actually work together. Finn convinces them of what they have to do. He ends up leading this squad who recruit others for the cause.

11. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    The FO are going to have to be defeated in an unexpected way in Episode IX. The Empire's defeat in RotJ was because the rebels teamed up with the locals (the Ewoks), something the Empire never planned on.

An unexpected uprising from within the FO ranks would take everyone off guard. At least for Hux and Snoke.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  12. Lord Farnsworth

Lord Farnsworth Jedi Padawan star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    The only way something like this would happen is Finn is force sensitive or he is the baddest mofo in the galaxy who happens to not be force sensitive. No one would follow him unless he is a super bad ass. This is the only way it would work.

13. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    Exactly, they really need to do something different. They got off to a terrible start with TFA as far as originality goes.

14. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    This honestly makes no sense whatsoever. What does being a badass have to do with helping fellow troopers turn their life around like Finn did?

15. Lord Farnsworth

Feb 2, 2016
    Explain to me how and why soldiers trained from birth would believe Finn that they would be capable of taking out on an army. What could he bring to the table that could make them change their minds and want to switch sides?

16. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    It's too bad they cut out the part where Hux is shooting his own fighters out of the sky as long as he shot down a good number of resistance x-wings.

Showing the storm troopers that they're nothing but meat shields to Hux, would be a could way to start an uprising.

17. Lord Farnsworth

Feb 2, 2016
    An uprising is not that easy. Even if there is an uprising it still has to be organized with a leader. Blind rage doesn't last for long, so there has to be something else that's sustainable. Unless Finn is going to be the Martin Luther King of Star Wars he's not going to win them over with a speech. Being that he's on the outside there's no way he could give one anyway.
    Even with this storm trooper rebellion idea there is no way it's going to work unless Finn is a bad ass.

18. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    They know they were stolen from their families as babies. They know Finn escaped on his own and made it out alive. If they're having second thoughts about continuing to fight for the FO, why wouldn't they listen to Finn and revolt? He's the perfect example of someone who turned their life around against the FO and lived to talk about it.

It's not as difficult a storyline as you're trying to make it out to be.

19. Lord Farnsworth

Feb 2, 2016
    Even if they know they were taken from their families, that's not enough to start a rebellion. What you're asking Finn to ask of these Stormtroopers is a suicide mission. What chance of success would they have? The Resistance is just a small group. Even if the FO constantly kept a boot on the neck of their stormtroopers no one joins the weaker side.

20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Okay, this is all baseless speculation, but it's ideas I've thought could work to upset the expected pattern:

Episode VIII makes it clear that the Stormtroopers are a dominant infantry force for this new war; they aren't as numerous as their enemies, but that's why the First Order took the risk of setting training parameters closer to the Clone Troopers than the Stromtroopers. We see strong evidence demonstrating that, yeah, these Stromtroopers are more skilled and more rigorously trained than their forbears, but we also see some of the possible issues like Finn raise their head a little bit more. There is no full revolt in VIII, but we see that some Stormtroopers and First Order citizenry have are looking for a way out.

Then, because I really want to see something like this, the militarily superior (though again, outnumbered) First Order suffers a schism. Kylo Ren turns on Snoke and ascends to be the true final villain. This brief civil war leaves First Order troopers vulnerable to being swayed to those officers who find the idea of Ren as ruler disgusting, and this gives Finn an opening to encourage mass defections, though not bloodless ones. And in IX, we see Resistance aligned Sylrmtroopers, decorating their armor like the Clone Troopers.

21. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    How is it a suicide mission if Finn is living proof that you can escape the FO and still live another day?

If Finn felt it was morally right to quit the FO, why can't the other troopers follow his lead?

22. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    A good human with pure conscience that fights for what he thinks to be right, even when he is an obvious inferior position (meaning non FS, not as strong as Kylo, etc.)
    You do not need to be FS to be great. There was never a need for e.g. Han or Chewie to be FS.

23. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    When we say Finn's destiny, we're not saying describe how Finn is.

What we're saying is what position will Finn be in by the ending of Episode IX.

BlurryUFOs and JediAce1 like this.
  24. Lord Farnsworth

Feb 2, 2016
    One person gettting out due to circumstances lining up doesn't make a movement. If you expect this movement to be successful then what are your real plans besides emotions and a feeling? Many slave rebellions were eventually wiped out due to uncertainty, lack of planning, or no military might to sustain it.

All you are talking about are feelings. Give me a plan.

Jesus was good and he was eventually killed. A military strategy based on just being good is laughable.
    The FO could have their boot on my momma's neck and unless you have a sound military strategy that could actually work, then I am not joining your movement.

25. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    I'm sure the writer's can come up with a military strategy.

You have to remember that the troopers ARE the FO military. How is Hux going to be able to defeat his own men AND the Resistance at the same time?