Amph It's a City, Not a Yo-Yo: Stargate Atlantis (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Jedimarine Jedi Master

star 5
    So a painful reality for Atlantis comes to light. I figured I'd share this those who still care.

I have 3 friends who I considered Atlantis fans...2 of which were encouraged to SG-1 by myself and later developed an affinity for Atlantis. These 3 were really my "source" for overviews, and heads-up if something really significant happened...as well as bi-weekly ribbing for not being an avid watcher of the show.

True believers.

Or so I thought.

All 3 have said since the announcement, they will stop watching the show...and why?

They told me...all 3...that they would've quit watching years ago, but held on loyally for the show to find a better course. One said she was ready to quit as early as the introduction of Ronin. Another said he was done when they took the "fangs" out of the Wraith, but he couldn't nail down a precise moment. The third simply said he grew tired of hearing McKay say "zed" (I think this is more in jest then his real reasoning, however, McKay as a character grated on him).

I know it's a small sample to draw from, but considering a 100% rejection rate in fans I know well, I can only imagine that this might be a trend in a smaller proportion worldwide.

Was the fanbase a fraud? Were people pitying this show? Was it a desperate attempt to keep ANY Stargate being made?

I'll be very curious to see the numbers this fall...will it stay steady to the finale...or is it going to flicker out unnoticed?
  2. Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Actually, your stats there mean absolutely nothing, and not just because it is a small sample, but also because it is a self-selecting sample. In order to draw any real conclusions from them, you would need to do random sampling.

Kimball Kinnison
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    By contrast, two of my friends who i helped get hooked on SG-1 (pretty much marathoned through the show to get them caught up in time for Season 10; Brrowder and black being the big sells since farscape was among previous shows I had caught them up on as well) and, later, SGA, are still enjoying the show as much as I am. So my three cancel out Marin's three and the show breaks even! ;)
  4. Jedimarine Jedi Master

star 5
    Well obviously there are true believers.

btw, I never meant this to be an accusation based on concrete evidence...it was purely an observation that came to me rather unexpectedly which led to a hypothesis.

as I said originally, I will be intrigued to see the numbers for the final run...I won't even begin to claim my friends lie in the realm of "normal"...but I wonder how far afield they will be when this show comes back.

Are they expecting perhaps a surge in viewership...the "don't know what you got, until it's canceled" scenario..."Family Guy/Futurama" phenomena?

I don't know.

What I do know is now I'll need better synopsis from you believers here, cause my local sources are turning to Heroes and Knight Rider![face_sick]
  5. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    [image=http://www.denimfilms.com/boardpics/kittd_2.gif]

You can get synopsis' here: http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s5/index.shtml

My thoughts on the season so far:

-Search & Rescue: Solid episode. Really loved the character moments and Daedalus's predictament about not being able to destroy the cruiser. The Tey'la/child/Kanann stuff irks me a little, just because he was an out-of-nowhere character given a signifcant role to cover Rachell's pregancy without forcing an existing cast member to hook up with her. I just really wish they had built up their relationship before it happened, as it doesn't have much impact otherwise. Still, a good premiere, IMO.

-The Seed: I really didn't like the main plot of the hive ship growing out of Keller- it just looks and sounds silly, though the aspect of trying to weed it out of the power conduits and such and it defending itself were kinda neat. The Woolsey scenes were rather good- his conflict at the nature of his job vs the rules he values in particular. I also liked Shep's solution to getting into the tower. Still, by far the weakest episode so far.

-Broken Ties: Again, the character content here really shines, but the main plotline of Ronon being turned into a Wraith worshiper feels rushed and just cannot believably take place within the course of a single episode. His subsequent "detox" scene is quite effective, though.

-The Daedalus Variations: One of my favorite episodes of the series. Satisfies both the alternate universe sucker and fleet junkie parts of me, while giving a generally neat "flying dutchman" story to structure them in, and the "Borg Unas" have potential as an enemy.

-Ghost in the Machine: A good "we can never trust replicators" type story, with a dark twist ending that's effective.

-The Shrine: As I mentioned the other day, it's a really good episode, but really could have been great had it taken place in chronological order.

For the rest of the season, there are some promising plotlines I'm looking forward to:

-First Contact/Lost Tribe mid-season 2-parter: Besides having Jackson involved, the Wraith-destroying device that inadvertently self-destructs stargates is a neat idea, as is Todd stealing the Daedalus.

-Inquisition: A new coalition against the wraith formed out of Pegasus humans from different worlds force Shep's team to stand trial and be held accountable for their unilateral actions taken in the galaxy, from Michael to the Hoffan plague. Woolsey acts as their public defense. This setup is quite neat, IMO- it addresses an issue I think a lot of fans have been curious about (what other humans in Pegasus think of Atlantis acting without their consent), as well as seemingly setting up the suggestion that, thanks to the Atlantis expedition, the human civilizations are starting to come together and be able to stand on their own. Sort of a happier future to look forward to upon season's end.

-Outsiders: the team have to try and protect 600 people from Wraith attack during an evacuation of 600 resetlled people after the world's original inhabitants consider handing them over to the Wraith (as the resettlers are immune to Wraith feeding and thus a threat the wraith want handed over).

-The Prodigal: Michael takes over the control room/tower.

-Remnants: "KOLYA!"

-Vegas: A CSI-type episode with SGA characters- it's just such a bizzare change of pace (I assume this is their equovilent of "Wormhole X-Treme" or "200", since they can't end a season/series with a goofy episode), and I'm just really curious how they'll tie that into actual events (hallucinations, VR, etc).

-Enemy at the Gate: Carter is seen with a new command here, supposedly. I wonder if this is the moon base mentioned in Continuum?

6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Different kind of episode than what we've got from SG in the past- have we ever had an outright horror episode like this before?

But wasn't Vega supposed to be some kind of significant recurring character? She had the least amount of focus in this whole episode.

And btw- holy crap, David Hewlett was in Cube!
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Another thought that crossed my mind during last night's episode: I think it's indicative of one likely ongoing inciting incidents that would have been used for future seasons- in this case, hidden/lost Michael labs being discovered. It's something that could kick off a variety of episode possibilities, even after Michael is finally defeated.

That got me thinking- while obviously there are still new elements yet to be introduced this season, what existing plotlines, events, or elements, would have been appropriate concepts for use in future episodes/seasons/movies? One of the greatest thing about SG-1 was the majority of their dangling elements had follow-ups and resolutions, as it ultimately had the time and space to explore those possibilities due to it's extraordinary season run. SGA won't have as much opportunity to do so, however, but I think it;s fun to speculate on what could be.

One that comes to mind is the "Traveler" faction- we haven't heard from them since the Battle of Asuras, IIRC. It strikes me likely we would have had another episode with Mckay's sister in it as well. Perhaps a new Midway station? (there was a comment apparently not in the aired episode last night where they mention the IOA is wary of making a new one after the Wraith assault/destruction of the first one). And I've been hopeful for a return by Ford where he finally shakes the "Lost Boys" syndrome.

I'm sure there are several other episodes that could have potential followups in the future too- what do you think?
  8. Ultima_1 Jedi Knight

star 5
    An obvious one is the "other technologically advanced cultures" Weir mentioned in Ghost in the Machine.
  9. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  10. Jedimarine Jedi Master

star 5
    Just in time to close out another sci-fi show. [face_laugh]
  11. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Had some free time, so, for Ss&Gs, here's a theoretical Season 6 for SGA that could help wrap some plotlines or elements up:

601: SGA Finale Movie, Part 1
    602: SGA Finale Movie, Part 2
    603: Return of Larrin and the Travelers
    604: Genii/Kolya episode
    605: Follow-up to "The Game" factions
    606: Final Replicator/ascension/Weir redemption episode
    607: FrankenBorg enemy episode (presuming they are not fully defeated in "finale movie")
    608: Sateda/Ronon-centric episode
    609: Bola Kai-centric episode (possibly Teyla/Keller-focused again)
    610: Discovery of another Ancient Defense Satilite, which leads to...
    611: Discovery of another Ancient Cityship ala The Tower
    612: Follow-up to Shadow Creature from "Hide and Seek" (gets off planet or world isn't a wasteland as originally thought)
    613: Pegasus Human Coalition episode
    614: Discovery of a remaining Michael Lab
    615: City-based "bottle" episode
    616: Alternate Universe episode (the episode number demands it! ;) )
    617: Earth-bound episode (possibly involving Mckay's sister)
    618: New Midway Station episode
    619: The return and redemption of Ford
    620: Rediscovery (perhaps due to Ford's efforts) of the critical weakness in Wraith technology that the Aurora crew discovered. / Start of, or actually showing, the defeat of the Wraith

That would have been very satisfying. A shame half those ideas will never happen now because they couldn't sustain a movie.
  12. Mustafar_66 Jedi Master

star 5
    She was cuter now than I remember.
  13. Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I'm really upset that They have pulled the plug on Atlantis.

It's been over the news on http://www.gateworld.net/

But the new series has been given the go.

I'm going to miss Mckay
  14. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    On the other hand, I look forward to seeing where David Hewlett goes from here. Atlantis has really expanded his fan base. Although I was a fan since I saw him in Cube, which incidentally, also had Nicole de Boer in it.
  15. MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Hey Guys! I am a team Member over at SOSGA.net. We, along with Save-thelostcity.com, are campaigning to bring SGA back for a 6th and maybe even 7th Season!
    I know this is short notice, but if you are in the Vancouver Area today (Vancouver Time) Head over to Bridge Studios where a Support Rally is taking place to support the Actors! And plans are in the Work for one in LA soon :D

Head over to www.sosga.net
    and www.save-thelostcity.com
    and join in on the Fight to Bring our beloved show back!
    Join the Forums and voice your ideas and healthy opinions!! :D

DC (aka NZ_Jackie)
  16. Jedimarine Jedi Master

star 5
    BRING BACK JACK
    BRING BACK JACK
    BRING BACK JACK
    BRING BACK JACK
    BRING BACK JACK!

sorry...wrong show...[face_whistling]
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    The short credits sequence has returned! Nooo!!! We got rid of those things 3 years for a reason!

Was the episode running long? Or is SFC trying to milk all the adspace it can again?

Anyways, this episode was alot better than I was anticipating. I like Teyla better as a queen. And Todd continues to be a very interesting character. Loved the touch of Teyla having as many Wraith die in the battle as she could without losing.

Also, Gateworld has the first pics of the new enemy (who are apparently NOT the FrankenBorg, much to Trilobyte's delight, I'm sure) to be introduced mid-season [link=http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/09/new_iatlantisi_villains_discover.shtml]here[/link].

Little is known about this new Pegasus Galaxy race (including their name), who will make their first appearance in the September 26 episode "First Contact." But if spoilers and speculation that is circulating online pan out, they may have a connection deep into the history of Stargate mythology.[/u]

Foothold-related perhaps? (yeah, I know I keep bringing them up, but they gotta do more with 'em!)

I will say this- for an enemy, they certainly seem more at home with the look of Atlantis
  18. MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling

star 1
    For those who wish to know:

THE RALLY WAS A SUCCESS!!!

Thank you to everyone who participated!!! They got to show their support for the show, meet the actors, and got a tour of the Stargate Atlantis set!!!

To see pictures and read about the rally you can go here:

http://shaddyr.livejournal.com/216030.html

http://community.livejournal.com/sga...78493#t2578493

And don't forget there are other rallies coming up!! Keep checking here for the next rally - the one at MGM in Los Angeles!!!!!!!

Go to sosga.net and save-thelostcity.com for more info as it comes in :D

MC
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Not to be pessimistic- but wouldn't the rally only be a success if the show was uncancelled?
  20. MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling

star 1
    It was a success in the Fact the it let the Actors and Crew know that we are in support of the Show. As it was a Support Rally

The Rallies in LA and NYC will be to protest the Cancelation in front of the MGM Studios.

MC
  21. Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I fell asleep watching this last episode. But then, I was exhausted.
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    It was one of the better episodes this season- again, especially considering it was Teyla in wraith makeup, which could have gone all kinds of bad.
  23. WormieSaber Jedi Master

star 5
    Taylor got un-wraithed rather quickly. It was...she's a Wraith then the next scene she was completely human again. They are really getting that gene treatment down. It won't be long before all the Wraith are human.
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, I don't think it was a genetic thing, just cosmetic for the most part. And they did say that she had been recovering for several weeks by time we see her at the end of the episode.
  25. Jedimarine Jedi Master

star 5

I did think "Foothold" as well...the only problem is a dramatic break stylistically...it's a stretch for anyone but die hards of the show to link the 2 visually...that's not normal television procedure.

My second thought was what's his face from "Deadman Switch"...the armor kind of looked similar.

Third thought...with the whole SG mythology...FURLINGS!