main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph It's a City, Not a Yo-Yo: Stargate Atlantis (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 10, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The latter did cross my mind, but, after 200, I get the impression that TPTB have embraced the running joke notion that we'll never see the Furlings. But good call on Deadman Switch- there is a lot of similarity there, though his armor had a decidedly Goa'uld feel to it- there could be some kind of connection/scavenged tech there.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-55212

I don't think the narrative break will be a factor, and no more so for Deadman Switch than Foothold, as they're the same season- Foothold's 8 episodes "newer" ;)

2. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I just saw Foothold today, and they did describe the Goa'uld as the "dominant parasitic species of this galaxy" so an extragalactic origin wouldn't be much of a stretch.

3. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    You know...I'm afraid I'm quickly losing interest in this show. As I mentioned I slept through this last episode, but since then I have made no attempt to watch it again or even remotely felt like I was missing anything. :(

4. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    It happens...look at me...I don't actively watch the show anymore, but I still follow the universe.

ha.

I do the same thing with Star Wars books now.

5. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Aug 26, 2004
    I did manage to catch this last episode however. I have slightly more respect for Jewel Stait as an actress. Just slightly.

Oh and McKay's running through the woods firing off his gun like a psycho was hilarious.

I really preferred the windbreaker-style uniforms from the first few seasons. Somehow I don't think doctors typically do medical procedures clad in leather.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last night's episode was better than I expected (Keller kidnapped again?). Mostly from Ronon's interaction with McKay, and his continual amusement at the traps the other runner set- some of which was were quite neat (the swinging spiked-log scene in particular was great). My favorite scene, though, was the scene towards the end when the Wraith charges at Rodney who fires a few rounds into the Wraith, runs out of ammo, and the Wraith resumes his charge "oh CRAP!".

The other runner was also a neat idea, and the way Ronon briefly related to him was solid. A shame we probably won't see him again, even though we probably would have had we gotten Season 6.

Kudos also for making the Wraith threatening and scary again. The psycho-persistence of trackers is really intimidating. The Wraith have rarely ever been scary or threatening, especially in a post-Michael/Todd episode so it was refreshing to have their threatening nature return.

7. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Don't complain about Jewel Staite in leather. No evil comes from Jewel Staite in leather!

8. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Aug 26, 2004
    Oh man, that last episode was a trip. Is it just me or has the CG for the show suddenly gotten much, much, much, much better this season?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Very good episode- the Rodney/Jackson exhcnages were great. The Wraith/Todd were creepy and dangerous seeming, the new enemy is refreshing (in that they're a technological military force instead of, say, anacaristic armor designs, nor swarming bots) and they managed to still, after all this time, come up with a new Gate problem scenario.

There has to be a Foothold connection here- the Predator self destruct bit in the chest seems very similar.

10. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I just the the trailer revealing who it is in the suits... Don't go searching for it, if you want shock factor when it returns in 2 weeks.

11. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Yes! I've been waiting for Todd to turn on them and I wasn't disappointed. These robot dudes kind of remind me of Anubis' soldiers.

12. Darthkat76

Mar 21, 2007
    I just watched a spoiler clip. My reaction: "**** no!" :eek:

This could be verrrrrry good or verrrrry bad. I hope good though.

I'm actually kind of excited about this, but preparing for the worst. :p

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm going to try avoiding that particular spoiler, I think.

EDIT- Damnit, I'm weak-willed.

So, yeah....NO FREAKING WAY!!!

EDIT 2- I didn't catch the meaning of Daniel's one line towards the end there-

Daniel: Well, 10 minutes and we're still here.

McKay: Oh boy-

Daneil: What?

McKay: I think I just found a log that tells us what the side-effect is...

Daniel: It's not... (backing away from the console) -harmful radiation, is it?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

14. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    I just saw the spoiler clip on Gateworld and I have to echo Quest.... no ****ing way. That's going to either be really good or really bad, and I'm betting on the former. Although if that is true, why do they need Rodney and Daniel's help to activate the device? That doesn't make any sense.

15. Darthkat76

Mar 21, 2007
    I caught it as soon as he said it hehe. But then again, I just watched "Meridian".

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They needed the Ancient gene, apparently.

17. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Ah! Now that makes sense. Although if that's the issue, how did they operate that base in the first place? Seems like they'd have needed the gene to do anything in that base. Maybe that's just an oversight. Still, I'm really looking forward to the next episode. Should be really interesting.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, IIRC, Atlantis itself powered up corridor lights, computers and stuff automatically after it detected humans/lifeforms, so this outpost could be the same thing- it's just specific Ancient tech that requires the gene to use- puddlejumpers, chairs, this new Altero Device, etc.

That only leaves their ship- which is apparently Ancient in design or origin (thus able to pass through the shield, as they pointed out; not to mention there are design similarities to an oversized jumper). The Travelers were able to fly Ancient ships without having the gene, right? So perhaps it's not all Ancient craft that requires the gene to fly.

19. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    *saw spoiler*

well, I guess I'll be watching Atlantis for at least one week this fall.

HOLY EXPLICATIVE!

Total spoilage follows...don't be a foolish if you want to be in the dark.

So "Lost Tribe"...renegade Asgard? HOW SWEET IS THAT! Just like the Ancient/Ori and Goa'uld/Tok'ra...we find the other half of the most benevolent race of the franchise.

WOW! What a great idea...and completely unexpected...a nice curve ball to the fans.

But the question remains...being the other half of a benevolent race...does that make them the nastiest and most sinister villains ever...or does that make them just less scrupled, but still working to well intentioned ends?

Yep...it's a good thing they put that spoiler out...it got me.

20. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I just saw the spoiler: I totally called it during the last episode. Hahaha! Everyone I was watching it with's going to owe me a beer.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Out of curiosity- was it just a random guess or did something in particular tip you off?

22. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Stargate Worlds has tipped me off that they had to have some plan of them coming back, or they wouldn't be a player race in a game that starts in Season 8 and plans on continuing past the Mass Suicide. I'd initially thought that Continuum would have some time altering bit that'd bring them back, but no luck there. So I've been looking for an opening, and something Jackson said made me think it was a possibility.

Admittedly, when guessing, I thought they'd be in the old tall Asgard body form...which would require the suit to keep them alive: a group of asgard that hadn't opted into the cloning reproductive plan. Hadn't expected them to have your standard small little grey guy.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    At first, the suggestion of having it be the "bigger greys" of older Asgards in the suits strikes me as a mega-cool idea, but then that would kinda make their mass-suicide pointless if these pop up a year and a half later. Better that it is the normal smaller greys.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, so yeah- another solid episode, though I think Shanks hammed it up one or two times too much. Very interesting how Ronon/Todd/Sheps plans all kind went for and against eahc other at the same time. The splinter Asgard was very good- he even looked different enough and I like how the use of the Asgard theme was a bit more ominous. Gotta love the "and look where that got them" comment.

Also gotta wonder how many stargates exploded- afterall the Atlantis one went up pretty fast, and so did the Traveler one apparently. With how gate travel is fairly common in he Pegasus for trade and travel, there had to be A LOT of gates going boom, as we're looking at several hours of a danger window here. I wonder if this event is the last straw that leads to that upcoming issue where the Pegasus alliance puts SGA on trial for their actions, ina "ok, Gates are blowing up- just what in the hell are you people doing?".

Also loved the little twirling "dance of a dogfight" between the Deluxe-Jumper and the Traveler ship. The newer (I think) shots of the Daedalus also kind ahit home the notion that they really should update the hyperspace stock footage of the Deddy in transit, as the current models used in the newer space shots look a lot more detailed than the one used n the stock hyperspace shots.

However, the interior-helmet shots are obviously Iron Man "inspired" ;)

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Checking out some casting spoilers for "Vegas" it seems Neil Jackson will be back to play a Wraith being tracked by detective Shep in the story, which sounds very promising- he was great as Khalek in Season 9 and as Marcus in Blade: The Series. Coincidentally, he's also appeared on the actual CSI shows too.

Also, Tapping confirms both SG-1 movie #3 an SGA movie #1 will film at the same time in 2009, and that she may appear in the SGA (but at this time has only agreed to appear in the SG-1 one). She also confirms she'll be appearing in the SGA series finale episode.