main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph It's a City, Not a Yo-Yo: Stargate Atlantis (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 10, 2006.

1. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yes, there are several cross overs planned for the upcoming episodes. Should work well for this season as Atlantis has gotten its legs.

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Bah- that means I'll need to start watching SG - which I've never watched.

*Sigh*

3. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    You're missing out. Much better then Atlantis IMO.

Admittedly its a bit harder to get into just because of the history behind it but last season (9) was an excellent jumping on point. So much so there was orginaly talk of dropping the SG-1 and making it a new-ish show. SGC was rumored at one point to be the new title.

Then again I just have a soft spot for John and Aeryn.

4. Paradise in Naboo

Paradise in Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 1999
    It always bugs me when they re-use actors in different roles on TV. Unless he's playing an alien, why can't they just make him the character from the movie?

5. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    They probably will actually. All of the other people from the movie that went on to the series (Skaara and Kasuf) played the same characters.

At the same time though Stargate the movie and SG-1 are kind of parallel universes in ways. Technically Russell's character isn't even in the series (if you're really splitting hairs). Its mostly just running gag type things but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for them to play it up with Meyers (if that is who he returns as).

Mostly it was just a joke though. Very similar mannerisms in the characters IMO. If Meyers had carried on in SG-1 I'd venture to guess he'd end up as McKay.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    All we need now is a cameo by General West and whoever the Gateroom computer guy with the french hat and the pencil in his mouth and we'll be all full circle around here ;)

(ok, that and a freaking jackal Jaffa helmet for once!)

7. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    I wonder if he is going to play his old character, and Rodney calls him his stupid cousin or something. Could you imagine thoes to characters together?

8. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Exactly.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    My Dad's taped like every episode of SG1. My sister's going to see him in a couple of weeks and plans to steal all of the tapes and then record them onto DVD for us :p (then we can slowly work on buying them all to replace the homemade copies.)

I love the film for SG so I have no idea why I never started watching this show. I like Atlantis because much like VOYAGER the crew is mostly away from the politics stuff on Earth and you get a lot of action. I really love the characters also. I also have to admit that the addition of his royal hotness Ronin certainly enhanced the overall viewing pleasure of the show =P~

10. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Too bad his character sucks then :p

I'd say just get season 9 from your Dad/Sister. Its been my favorite so far (though I am in the minority on that one) and most everything before that is just filler when you are dealing with the current incarnations. Then again being an Atlantis fan you may enjoy season 7 which was the "movie" that launched SG:A.

Edit: There has been more revealed about Kind's character. SOS was right, he is playing an alien. Here is gateworld's rundown of his character and a bit about the episode.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So far as understanding SG-1 connections to Atlantis, I'd agree that Season 9 would be the easiest route to take- it's a great jumping-on point, and only 2 or 3 episodes deal heavily with elements from prior episodes. I also feel Season 9 is an incredibly tight season (not a weak episode in the bunch, with arguable exception to "The Ties That Bind"), so its definitely worth checking out.

That said, SG-1 is an incredibly addicting show that lends itself extremely well to viewing 3-5 episodes in a row, so if you have access to the whole show, I'd say borrow them all and plow through them- I've been rewatching the entire series with a friend who never saw it over the past few months and it's been a hell of a ride. It's been pretty common to punch-through a whole season in about a week or so.

It'd also be a good way of killing the wait till the new seasons premiere.

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Which I realized today, isn't really that long of a wait.

Edit: Are you daft man? "Ties that Bind" was one of the best of the season. Just got done watching it actually. But we've had this conversation before [face_thinking]

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably :p

While I did like it more upon a second viewing (then again, the same can be said for the first half of SGA season 2 ;) ), it still feels a bit out of place as far as Vala is concerned- basicly a step backwards for the character from where she was going after Origin and where she continued from in Powers That Be, Beachead and eventually Crusade and Camelot. That and it has a "we're trying to top Window of Opportunity's comedy factor" vibe to it.

14. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Season 9 in general is much lighter and more humorous then other seasons. I thought it was a good lead in to "Powers that Be" in that you were starting to see the action reaction of her life up to that point. It gave you a taste of the character's history without being heavy handed in getting there.

And I refuse to believe that anything can salvage the first half of SG:A [face_not_talking] :p

Though I have developed a strange affection for "The Long Goodbye" [face_thinking]

Slightly off topic but since we are effectively amalgamating the two threads like we did in Amp. I hope we get something a bit different for the Season 9 box set. Atlantis's box set was very sleek and much more effective then the SG-1 box sets IMO. I understand why they are that way but you can't buy episode discs anymore so they might as well stop pretending and just use slim packs.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah well, like I said it it's placement that irks me- if it had somehow taken place during Season 8 or before Avalon, part 2, I really wouldn't have many problems with it. Wedging that lighter episode between episodes meant to take a lighter character onto a a darker path just doesn't feel right.

>> Season 9 in general is much lighter and more humorous then other seasons.<<

Funny you say that- during my rewatching, my friend commented on how Season 9 was a lot gloomier than the other seasons (though she understood why, since its introducing a new villian and all), which is why she loved The Ties That Bind, for it's humor-centered story.

>>And I refuse to believe that anything can salvage the first half of SG:A<<

During my rewatching, some stuff didn't irk me quite as much- the Super Ford stuff wasn't quite as annoying (I still don't care for it, but it's not as bad when you know what to expect from it), and Intruder, Trinity, Conversion and Aurora were actually quite good (and Siege 3 as well, but that goes without saying), and Duet's comedy works (and doesn't feel as out of place to me like Ties That Bind since it's not centered around a character during a specific shift for them).

I really enjoyed the action in Runner (I generally like Ronon- sure, he's Chewbacca but, well, he's Chewbacca! ::) ), though again I'm mixed on Super Ford and I hate the character assassination of Mckay (yes, Mckay is whimpy, whiny and annoying, but he's not THAT whimpy, whiny and annoying!).

Instinct wasn't bad either, for that matter, and elements in Condemmed were pretty good as well (the main villian's analysis of Mckay, the "civilized" Wraith- I'd love to see him return, maybe oppose Michael if he survives).

>>Though I have developed a strange affection for "The Long Goodbye" thinking<<

Thats second half ;)

>> I hope we get something a bit different for the Season 9 box set. Atlantis's box set was very sleek and much more effective then the SG-1 box sets IMO.<<

I kinda like having uniformity myself- and I have a softspot for the normal DVD cases, even if they take up more space. I kinda hope the eventual Star Wars TV Show DVD (or HD-DVD by time they come out) boxsets use that type of packaging, and leave slots for the ROTS and ANH DVDs to fit in, in the first and final boxsets ::) ).

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    True but I think that it was important to show her a bit more as a lighter character doing what she does best, causing trouble before you start giving her a conscience. Placement probably could of been better but the logistical problems of when you have the actor available and breaking into a new season are probably the biggest factors on why its where it is.
    Yeah I kind of thought about that right after I said it. Its just overall very different from what came before. I had TiVo'd Lost City one and two and re-watched them the other day and it hit me how much more muted the whole thing was from the season 9 episodes I'd been watching. Some of it is quite dark and I'm still amazed how graphic Vala's burning sequence was.
    Eh, I'll try them again someday. In fact there were a lot in the middle I didn't even watch just because I was so tired of Super Ford and Ronon.
    Right which is why its better :p
    True and I'm sure it will stay the same even if it is for the sake of uniformity. Maybe something like the Simpson's box sets where you can mail off for something that makes it fit in with the rest of the box sets.

17. Path_Of_The_Oreo

Path_Of_The_Oreo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2006
    I love the more realistic responses to weird situations in SG that Trek always lacked.

Also in Atlantis I believe it's Jon (main guy) who adds that certain added watching pleasure and not Ronin.:p

18. Minder

May 28, 2002
    I think its Teyla that adds the spice.

Different strokes for different folks I guess ;)

19. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I'm a Dr. Weir guy myself. [face_love]

20. Minder

May 28, 2002
    We need more women to look at :)

21. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    The guy who's Sheppard is alright in a very normal, good looking average guy kind of way - but he's got nothing on Ronin. Then again, we all know who a certain scientist on the show would say is the hottest male around - You're just jealous because I get all of the women!

Drooling aside, I like his character. He doesn't say much, yet his mere presence inspires fear in people (my fav moment being in the Gaooul (however it's spelled :p ) episode when Weir ordered him into the room to interrogate the whiney scientist guy and he fainted just at the site of Ronin :p

He also seriously has the hots for Tey'la and vice-versa.

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Speaking of the women of Sci-Fi. Gateworld.net has opened up a contest to win Shank's and Judge's aptly named Women of Sci Fi calender and DVD.

Since we weren't speaking of women but rather men there will be a Men of Sci Fi calendar planned for next year.

23. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Such shameless exploitation. [face_shame_on_you]

Quietly enters email address [face_whistling]

24. Path_Of_The_Oreo

Path_Of_The_Oreo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2006
    [face_shame_on_you][face_frustrated] Exploited us ladies!

:eek:

[face_worried]
    [face_mischief]

[face_hypnotized] :D [face_whistling] Next year you say? Where can we vote on that and preorder?

25. weezer

May 16, 2001
    That is the most faces I have ever seen in a post.

If you weren't already a cookie, I'd give you one.

I'd imagine like the ladies one it will mostly guys off of Stargate or otherwise related to Stargate. You could have all of the Joe Flanigan you'd ever want :p