main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph It's a City, Not a Yo-Yo: Stargate Atlantis (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 10, 2006.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Upping thread - ok when is this premiering?

2. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001

There is going to be a "Science of Stargate" show on before the premieres of SG-1 and Atlantis. Should be fairly interesting.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And one again McKay gets the best line- "Ugh...their operating system is a mess....thank goodness I remember DOS...Trust me, that was hilarious."

Sad to see the Orion go so soon though, but man are those drones gorgeous or what?

4. weezer

May 16, 2001
    That was great.

The space battle at the begining was one of the best since Lost City.

I loved Sheppard as he was hovering his finger over the docking clamp button and flashed back to McKay and Zelenka arguing about what would happen if you launched 302s in hyperspace and he was just staring at the girl :p

Edit: or the "I saw it in a movie" line. Thats got to be one of the most obsucure SW refrences out there.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Was that a SW reference? I wasn't sure, since they never clamped onto a ship as it went to hyperspace.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Man, was Atlantis awesome or what? If they can keep the quality like this then we're in for a great ride this season.

Ditto for the regular Stargate.

7. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I think it had to be. I wasn't sure with the hyperspace thing but I couldn't think of anything else it could be with the clamping on.

And yes it was great. First time in a long time that I liked Atlantis better then SG-1.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah the space battles really were extremely well done- the camera bouncing back and forth between the 302's and darts and back again in one shot was gorgeous.

9. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I also really enjoyed the long shot at the end showing the Daedalus firing the rockets at the hive ship and the darts intercepting them.

I really liked when they fired the drones out of the orion.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it wasn't until my second viewing that I realizxed the first series of explosions were the darts intercepting them until ones get through and hit the hive.

And yeah, like I said- the drones are gorgeous- dancing death, they are.

The Orion's destruction shot was dynamic too- had to Tivo jump back to rewatch it a couple times cause my eye was following the other ship in the foreground and missed it.

Also not mentioned yet- that beautiful shot of the Daedalus rotating until the galaxy becomes visible.

>> There is going to be a "Science of Stargate" show on before the premieres of SG-1 and Atlantis. Should be fairly interesting.<<

I wish that wasn't so cheesy (though Amanda's "fast car" scene was funny, hehe), but that dude with the chip in his arm that could mimic his muscle commands to a robot version gave me a double take. See, we need cool stuff like that. I just wish it wouldn't come from some weird guy looking forward to implanting a chip in his brain with the goal of thinking in 5 dimensions ;)

11. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I've still only Tivo'd the science of Stargate thing, haven't watched it. 5th diminsion eh, [face_thinking] were they using it as 4 spaitial dimensions and one temporal or something else? I guess I could just watch it.

The Daedalus drifting was a nice shot. Did they start adding little thrusters on there or was it just a reflection.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  13. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Ok, that was funny :p

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And once again, McKay for the win:

M: "We couldn't hit the side of a barn."
    S: "Hive ships are a hundred times-"
    M: "A giant flying barn- we couldn't hit that."

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Didn't much care for this episode, nor last. In order for the plot to progess, the characters had to do some things that were uncharacteristically stupid.

Last episode, it was leaving a token force of guards up against vastly superior numbers of "former Wraith," not keeping them under sufficient observation, and Dr. Becket trusting them to dose themselves.

In last nights episode, Lucius & Dr. Becket should've been immediately confined, especially given Dr. Becket's odd behavior. There was no way in Hades that Dr. Weir would've let herself be alone with Lucius.

st00pid!

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Yeah I didn't particularly care for it either. Wasn't what I was hoping from Kind. I thought he would be at least some what similar to his movie character. I thought it was silly.

Atlantis in SG-1 was better then Atlantis in Atlantis :p

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was kinda hoping for a bit more from this episode. The subplot about replanting orbital stargates to create a daisy chain between galaxies is a great idea though. Should be interesting to see how that works out (especially since it's effectively exposing Pegasus to the possibilities of Pryor visits).

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last night's was a good action episode- the scene with Shep and Teyla on the Daedalus was good, and Ronon's flashbacks were effective.

Loved Mckay's reaction to being shot in the butt by an arrow- "AGH! That did NOT just happen!" [face_laugh]

I'm looking forward to next weeks as it looks like it'll be the one that introduces the "real" villian for Atlantis- the Hot Zone virus creators and possible ancestors to the Replicators.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has quite figured out the timeline for the first few Season 3 episodes in relation to the events surrounding the Battle of the Supergate? Allies/No Man's Land/Misbegotten seems to happen either just before or just after Arthur's Mantle/Camelot/Flesh and Blood, with both shows once again in sync with one another as of The Pegasus Project & Irresistible.

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    This weeks episode = =D=

20. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yay! Two good episodes in a row [face_dancing] I was concerned that they would be uncharacteristically stupid again this week!

21. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I must say is unusual that I enjoy Atlantis more then SG-1 but its been going that way as of late.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The third season has been a definite improvement over the second so far. The reveal of the city in this ep made me go :eek:, and it was great seeing a city ship in action again (as well as making for an interesting hyperspace shot).

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've also finally updated my Wraith Asset Tracking image to reflect the new seasons' kills (so far):

[image=http://www.denimfilms.com/shared/wraithassettracking.jpg]

1/5th done, most over the span of only about a year and a half at that.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last night's episode was pretty good- it brings Atlantis back to it's somewhat darker approach to Stargate that it accomplished rather effectively in season 1, and it's connection to the Asurans helped tie things together well at that.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last weekend's episode was really good- but then, it was a Genii episode, so that was to be expected. And it's not a Kolya episode without Shep yelling "KOLYA!" [face_laugh]

I'm glad we finally got another Wraith with some personality other than the "sophisticated" one from Condemmed and Michael (who doesn't count since he was retro-virused first ;) ).

Also interesting that the Wraith, like the Metroids, can give life energy the same as they can take it. And man, was it great how he used that in this ep or what? By taking more from Shep to charge himself up enough to be able to take down and feed on the two guards enough to restore Shep. good strategic use of the ability.