main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit It's a frappe! It's a wrap! Where's my hat? - The Official Star Wars: Detours Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    They obviously are being run by film purists who take George Lucas too literally and genuinely believed Detours would be within canon.

More seriously, I suspect it was probably because there were going to be problems getting it aired on one of the Disney Channels, either if there were contractual restrictions from some of the actors to only work for Fox or something, or just because Disney didn't like the risque humour and think Star Wars should be accessible to all ages.

As, I must admit, I kinda half-expect Star Wars may end up being marketed at a slightly younger audience than Marvel so that the two consumer bases aren't in direct competition with each other when both Episode 7 and [Insert whatever superhero movie] will both be coming out at the same time in a couple of years.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Same reason there's a new user (reg date 9/12) named Darth Vader over in LACWAC.

3. Cad Bane

Cad Bane Jedi Knight

Mar 10, 2013
    If I'm still around here five years later, I will totally give you five internet dollars. What's that good for, I have no idea. We'll figure it out then.

However, if I'm still around here then and the jokes are still happening and you've shot yourself... can I have your stereo? Or the modern-day equivalent of that? Like those fancy 'iPods' I've heard so much about!

On a more serious note: With the recent decisions concerning Detours, TCW, and the rumored happenings at Lucasarts Disney has surprised me by taking a more active hand in things unlike their approach with Marvel. They're doing exactly what I expected them to do when I first heard about the Marvel acquisition.

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll admit I'm very surprised by the Disney Death Star floating around. My first reaction on seeing that Disney acquired the Star Wars license was that the franchise would expand, perhaps to absurd levels. I'll admit I was hoping for more shows and animated movies. Instead, it seems like the opposite, where everything is being phased out to focus on the movies. I suppose their marketing strategy could be to release the new movies, and then release other merchandise while Star Wars is on the public's mind.

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Seems like Disney is deciding to stop and take stock of the franchise. There are like 30 different projects going on across books, television, comics, video games, RPGs and tabletop games, and toys. And notice most the projects stopped are direct LucasCompany products- 1313 is Lucasarts, Clone Wars and Detours were what, LucasAnimation? but DelRey, Dark Horse, Lego, and FFG are still trucking on as separate companies who have the license. So I think Disney is stopping what they can to get a hold of the franchise and maybe organize it a bit more to align with the new movies, like we saw with Episode 1 and also the first Clone Wars media project.

6. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Saw a "Star Wars Detours" clip on Youtube recently, and thought it was hilarious. Very high-quality animation - I liked this animation much more than the CW animated series, despite the exagerrated characters. One of my favorite scenes was when the bounty hunters were dancing to techno music in the nightclub - very funny :D

Here's hoping a regular "Detours" cartoon ends up seeing the light of day at some point (even if it's after the ST starts)....

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    >I will never see Blood Oath 2: Oath of Blood

Gorefiend, cdgodin and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  8. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Here's an IGN interview with Seth Green from NYCC on Detours- the vibe I'm getting is definitely more of "postponed" than "cancelled" (but still could go either way)

Barriss_Coffee and jacktherack like this.
  9. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    I wish they could just release it, i love seth green.

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Interesting interview. What Seth Green says makes good sense. Either way, sounds like the odds of it being released prior to 2015 are essentially nonexistent. Note too that he refers to other forms of media to release it in. I think that the odds of it every being on broadcast TV are fairly slim.

--Adm. Nick

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I respect Seth Green. I think he's being cool about the matter. Whether Detours was doomed to suck or not, Seth and his team obviously put a lot of effort into the project, and he's showing a remarkable amount of professional level-headedness concerning its postponement. It's hard for a creator to face a situation like that.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  12. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Yeah that must have been a real gut-punch: doing a bunch of work on it in secret, showing it off at C6 to enthusiastic reception, then getting called into Kennedy's office for the "Disney talk"....

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  13. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    The sad thing is that like the First Assault game this was done and ready to be be shipped off when it got the ax.

14. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Really unfortunate that we won't see this anytime soon, if ever. The comedy medium makes the real thing more enjoyable, to me. Robot Chicken parodies make my interest in the more serious works more intense the last few years. I bought a lot more books, comics, etc. after watching the Robot Chicken stuff.

15. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I must see this series. Zachary Levi is in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.