main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Its all about the Jedi

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kypsolo, Jun 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kypsolo

Kypsolo Jedi Master star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    In the books after NJO i feel that they have to introduce a character like Han into the stories. As the "torch" has kinda been passed on to the twins etc they will need more non-jedi characters to balance it out. I dont mind reading about jedi but sometimes it gets a bit monotomous. I know Jag aint a jedi but he is as disiplined and controlled. We need a Han junior!(get it? Henry Jones junior)

2. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    I hate Jag. I hope he dies while everyone laughs. No one likes reading about him, aside from obsessed fangirls who think Justin Timberlake is the greatest singer ever because he's so kawaii or whatever the hell they call him.

3. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Well, Amen, A_R. :cool:

4. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Wow, way to pretend you speak for everyone. I'm fond of Jag if for no other reason than he's the only non-Jedi love interest for Jaina. :p

I agree we need more non-Jedi characters. I've always identified more with them.

5. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I feel there are enough non-jedi characters as there is.
    I'm not a fangirl and I find jag mildly interesting. :p

wolf

6. Tramp

Tramp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    As far as only fan-girls liking Jag, that is far from the truth. I happen to be a guy, and actually like Jag. He?s a good character and foil for Jaina; they make a very good couple. As far as the ?Han Solo? type, that is Jaina. Yes, she?s a Jedi, but she also has a rogueish streak, she takes after her father in the personality department. She and Jag are just like Han and Leia, except that Jaina is the rogue while Jag is the more genteel and refined; the more straight-laced.

7. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    I'm with Tramp. Jag's cool. He's just like his dad who is one of my fav characters. I hope he and Jaina get together. I'm getting a bit sick of Jedi. More bounty hunters and non- force sensitive starfighter jockeys please.

8. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Jaina and Jag will get married; I?m positive of that, possibly as early as the new Trilogy by Troy Denning I would imagine, or even off-camera before that. We?ll have to waite and see.

9. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    As long as she stays far away from Kyp and Zekk OK.

10. Bpfashforever

Bpfashforever Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    The Jedi need to be reput in their place. They are only a small fragment of the Galaxy, a minucule grain of sand. They need to have their ego de-inflated. Therefore, we need more non-Jedi important characters. As the old cast grow old and retire, new faces should come in and replace them. I mean, in their respective positions.

11. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    Who?

Everyone is either a kid or Force sensitive.

12. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    ? The Jedi need to be reput in their place. They are only a small fragment of the Galaxy, a minucule grain of sand. They need to have their ego de-inflated. Therefore, we need more non-Jedi important characters. As the old cast grow old and retire, new faces should come in and replace them. I mean, in their respective positions.?

Considering that their ?place? is as Guardians of Peace and Justice in the Galaxy, I would say that they seem to be in their place. While some may have let that go to their heads, a majority have not, and Luke, Mara, Kam, Tionne, and the others are there to make sure that those that do get too big for their breeches get reigned in appropriately.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    SW does need non-Force characters though and these are lacking.

Let's see:

NJO: Jedi-focused.
    PT: Jedi/Sith-focused

Empire Bantam / DHC: About even

The dominance of Jedi stories has gradually built up from 1999. Fairly obvious why, the Force and Jedi are interesting, but they were never THE element of SW but one, a very good one but still one amongst several, others beings the ships, villains and ordinary characters.

JB

14. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    Actually Jedi Ben, Jedi have always been the main focus of the SW saga. Granted, they aren?t the only element, but they are the main focus; always have been.

15. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Jag, to me, is a fairly boring character. I don't mind him, he's just a little bland. I hate Jaina. I see nothing in her like her father. I hate the fact that people equate Jaina and Han, who, in my mind, share little personality-wise. Some of my favorite SW books are Shadows of the Empire, X-Wing, particularly Allston's stuff, and parts of the Tales collections. The nice thing about all of them is that they aren't about Jedi.

Oh, and let me yell this: ALL HAIL J/L!!!!!!!!

*gets trampled by J/J, J/K, and J/Z fans*

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Actually Jedi Ben, Jedi have always been the main focus of the SW saga. Granted, they aren?t the only element, but they are the main focus; always have been.

* But don't you think the EU in recent years has taken this a little too literally thus taking a main element and making it into the sole one, whilst neglecting the others?

Yes, we all like the idea of magic swords and magic which the Jedi represent but surely there's the other stuff? Smugglers, shady planets, Star Destroyers unleashing TIEs, huge SSDs protecting a huge Death Star.

It may be the Jedi element has come to occupy centre stage, that it was due to the Force that the Rebellion was victorious, but I don't sense the sense of the Jedi concept as dominating the scene and excluding all other ideas and concepts. Now it's as if the Jedi element has become an 800-pound gorilla who don't wanna share the stage.

JB

17. Tramp

Oct 6, 2003
    ? But don't you think the EU in recent years has taken this a little too literally thus taking a main element and making it into the sole one, whilst neglecting the others?

Yes, we all like the idea of magic swords and magic which the Jedi represent but surely there's the other stuff? Smugglers, shady planets, Star Destroyers unleashing TIEs, huge SSDs protecting a huge Death Star.

It may be the Jedi element has come to occupy centre stage, that it was due to the Force that the Rebellion was victorious, but I don't sense the sense of the Jedi concept as dominating the scene and excluding all other ideas and concepts. Now it's as if the Jedi element has become an 800-pound gorilla who don't wanna share the stage.?

JB

Not really. If you look at the movies themselves, while there were people of other professions involved, none of them were the main focus of the story. In the OT, Luke was the main focus, with Han and Leia as a secondary story arc. In the prequels, it is still the Jedi who take center-stage. this was a consiouse decision by GL, and it was he who put the focus on the Jedi. It was always meant to be that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.