It's almost St. Patty's Day!!!!!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wormie2, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus

star 5
    well, I suppose you can't really blame America for their complete lack of real history. ;)
  2. LadyVader81 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    and? I'm part Scottish but I don't jump on the band wagon on Scottish holidays. Now if I was in Scotland with my family I would celebrate it.

I think it's just a point for the US to get drunk.....to us it's called a weekend.
  3. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    St Patricks day is a celebration of being Irish. Its got nowt to do with thumbing your noses at the Brits.

EDIT: Yes Alpha...I agree.
  4. Arun Dale Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Face it Beth...as an American...your country is the child.. while Britian is the parent..who you try so hard to impress...

Now run along and play with the cars...
  5. pdubyuh Jedi Master

star 4
    who's st. patty is he the fella that invented Mc donalds burgers?
  6. LadyVader81 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  7. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    You were the parent. Now you're the feeble grandparent who drools and wets himself.
  8. LadyVader81 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Just face it we don't celebrate it we don't see the point, the Americans are jumping on another band wagon.
  9. AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus

star 5
    //hands out worthers original

grandparents you say?
  10. LadyVader81 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    nahh AW I see granparent sweets as those ermm **thinks** murrays mints?
    my nan use to have TONS of them (probably to hide all the booze tho)
  11. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    You were the parent. Now you're the feeble grandparent who drools and wets himself.

Nah...we point and laugh...
  12. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Just to give you a quick bit of history, in the cities that celebrate St. Patricks day in a big way, New York, Boston, Kansas City (we have the second largest parade in the country), there was a huge group of Irish immigrants who brought the customs with them. So, while it may now be what you see as a bandwagon, a hundred years ago it was about Irish Americans staying in touch with their roots. Which it still is.

WHADYAMEAN WE, Cass?! You're Scottish!
  13. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Fair enough for the Irish. But what about the rest?

ED: Well in the Highland Clearances most of the clans went to America. Is there a similar St Andrews Day celebration? I don't think so.
  14. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hey, a partys a party.
  15. Arun Dale Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Green bollar hats and green beer a party??..

You obvioulsly haven't been at a free party off the M25 tripping your tit's off on a couple of Bart simpsons..
  16. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nooo...can't say that I have and let me tell you how very disappointed I am at having missed that.

rolls eyes
  17. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I flashed mines at Shakin Stevens.
  18. Lady_Jedi26 Force Ghost

star 4
    not all americans are like that you know
    im not trying to live up to the typical view of americans being rude and such
    most of us dont celebrate all those holidays even though they are on the calender to be celebrated
    yes i admit its been strange for me living here in england being away from such festivities as 4th of July and Thanksgiving but my new family here didnt want me to feel so homesick so we celebrated both holidays this past year we had the basic barbeque and fireworks for the 4th of July and the traditional turkey dinner for thanksgiving and it was nice to see them so interested in the holidays im used to celebrating i admit it wont be a every year thing to celebrate them but it did help me adjust to being in a country im not used to
    Im happy to be here now and im happy to say this is home to me now :) I wouldnt move back to the states for anything really this is the happiest ive ever really been in my life being here i feel i have more independence than i ever did there
  19. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    How is celebrating St. Patrick's Day being a rude American?
  20. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Excellent Kristie.

Jon's all for me celebrating St Andrews and Burns Night and stuff and I'm sure if he liked Haggis he'd have some.

I dunno whats traditionally English to do on St George's Day...but I'd be happy to celebrate that with Jon if he wanted to.
  21. AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus

star 5
    theres nothing wrong with celebrating the 4th of july and thanksgiving if you're American! No matter where you live.

22. Lady_Jedi26 Force Ghost

star 4
    its not i just didnt want anyone to think me rude for getting up on my soap box for a few minutes lol

4th of July and Thanksgiving are just normal holidays when youve celebrated them your whole life it was amazing for me to come here and have my husbands family so fascinated by the idea
  23. MOTs_Minx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Wormie, I don't think thats what she said. She was talking about our view of Americans.

But you already know that cuz we've had this debate LOADS of times.
  24. Wormie2 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No, it's fine!

I've tried to tell them this city is just wacky for St. Patrick's day and it's not ALL Americans but they just assume it is and it's a lost cause to argue with them when they're American bashing so I just ride their bitching till it ends. ;)
  25. Lady_Jedi26 Force Ghost

star 4
    oooooops didnt mean to start a debate
    i figure ive got a lifetime to enjoy the holidays my husband rick celebrates and hes got that time to enjoy the holidays im used to
    we got a special reason for celebrating st patricks day though its our wedding anniversary a very lucky day for us id say ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.