main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It's almost St. Patty's Day!!!!!!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wormie2, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    Congrats for then, Kristie.

And Beth...come on...you know we're not bashing ALL Americans!

2. Lady_Jedi26

Lady_Jedi26 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    well i think he loves the fact that im american it gives him something to laugh about at times lol he loves to copy my southern accent which im very good at hiding
    funny thing is ive had quite a few people tell me im not what they expected in an american ive had people say im far too shy and speak too quietly they expected me to be loud

3. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Yeah, I've gotten the same thing. Stereotypes are fun, aren't they? ;)

And Happy Anniversary.

4. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    And don't let Wormie kid you either...she's not what we thought as a typical american either when we met her last year.

We all liked her LOL

Hey Beth...did you see the info in the Paintball thread about the deposits and stuff?

5. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    Well Kristie... sounds as if you're exactly like Andrea (my American ex gf) then... no what my parents were expecting an American to be like when they met her :p

6. Lady_Jedi26

Oct 17, 2001
    yeah they are :)
    Thank you

7. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Yeah, I saw it. Let me pin Jill, Katina and Donny down to make sure they haven't changed their minds and then I'll mail you off a check if that's ok.

8. Lady_Jedi26

Oct 17, 2001
    i can imagine what they were expecting
    ricks mum was worried i wouldnt eat because i wasnt used to some of the dishes you have here actually i hardly ate for the first month i was here because i was homesick yeah i know silly huh
    my first night here the power went off at their house lol great start there went to meet his mates at the pub that night it was pretty cool
    2nd night here his family had a big fancy dress party lol i didnt know what that was but i was wondering why in the hell his sister was going to a party dressed like a cat it was so loud and noisy and it was my first time meeting the whole family and i didnt know who was who because of the costumes so it was kinda a bummer i cried in the end and rick took me home early when i looked back on last years fancy dress party i had to laugh cause they all said its nice to see you laughing this year and not crying i said yeah i know now wheres the buffet table cause this year im planning on having something to eat Gotta be going now rick will be home soon and we need to go out to the shops

9. Scion_of_Oblivion

Scion_of_Oblivion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2002
    In 1991 (Latest figure I could find) there were 256,000 Londoners who were "Born in Ireland". I don't know how many there are now but they have persuaded Ken Livingstone to hold a St.Patrick's Day celebration in London.

Click Here 2 Find Out More - BBC :)

10. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Livingstone is a P.C idiot. I bet he'd rather die than allow any official St George's Day celebrations.

11. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    It would be nice if they managed to get through Sunday without any violence.....but I expect that won't be happening.

12. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    The people of these islands are far more closely linked by blood than many of those with more insular tendencies would like to believe. Those links also extend to and endure in the descendants of the original Britannic colonists who set up the colonies over the Atlantic. This bickering is pointless.. but amusing, admittedly.

13. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    We are not English.

14. Darth Scourge

Darth Scourge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    "We" as in who?
    Surely you can't think to deny that North America as we know it today was founded by colonists from the geographical British Isles?

15. Scion_of_Oblivion

Jan 22, 2002
    CA - Here's some views about the idea of celebrating St.George' Day from 2001.

BBC Talking Point :)

Wormie2 - Why the talk of violence? Who do you think's gonna fight? Why?

Questions, questions, questions... ;) :)

Darth Scourge - The people of these islands are far more closely linked by blood than many of those with more insular tendencies would like to believe. Well said! :D

16. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    We are not English.

So we (as in Americans, I assume) deny being English, but every American and his dog are happy to consider themselves Irish come St Patrick's Day? Have I got that right?

17. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Pretty much, yes. ;)

See, English = bad, mean, repressive. Irish, Scottish, Welsh...yadda yadda yadda = survivor of evil English! :D

So, are we clear now?

18. Scion_of_Oblivion

Jan 22, 2002
    [face_laugh] Normally we are accused of being repressed, now we are repressive as well! :eek:

//Struts around repressing all and sundry [face_devil] //

;) :D

19. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Oh good. I'm so glad you're pleased.

20. Scion_of_Oblivion

Jan 22, 2002
    Hey, it's your repression fantasy! [face_mischief]

//Continues to strut [face_devil] //

;) :D

21. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Huh?

Flakey.

22. Scion_of_Oblivion

Jan 22, 2002
    Are we flirting ?[face_plain]

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

G'night Wormie2, it's been...

//Struts out//

[face_devil] ;) :D

23. Wormie2

Feb 22, 1999
    Oh please. How desperate do you think I am.

rolls eyes

24. Soggy-Ben Doggy

Soggy-Ben Doggy Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 9, 1999
    Minx, America does indeed have a patron saint -- it's Mary.

Since America is a melting pot of different nationalities and cultures, we celebrate a wide variety of special days -- most of which started because of Church related feast days. Over the years, many have turned into events celebrated on a national level.

The Church has always had a large number of Latins, Italians, and Irish within it's membership and when they immigrated, they carried part of their culture with them, which became integrated into today's American culture. For example: Our Lady of Guadelupe, St. Joseph, St. Patrick, St. Valentine, All Hallows Eve.

On a Church level, there's usually something special within it's confines to celebrate those days. Such as the Italians holding a St. Joseph's table on his feast day, the Irish holding a dinner/dance on St. Patrick's Day, or the Latin's celebrating Our Lady of Guadelupe. Everyone within the Church are invited to attend, regardless of their nationality. The reasoning is quite simple: the Church is united.

As a result, some of those feast days have spread outside the Church and are now being celebrated at a national level in different ways.

The most likely reason is because American is a young country with only a few hundred years of history or culture of her own. However she's a country who has something of value from almost every country in the world -- her immigrants, who always bring a piece of their culture with them and shares it with the rest of us.

25. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    Thanks Soggy. I didn't know yous had a patron saint :)

St Mary huh?

Excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.