main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada It's Election time in Canada!!....

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by assetic, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. assetic

assetic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2005
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/23971/votepalp3.jpg]

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Yay, the carnivals in town!

3. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    That kinda looks like Jean Chrétien.

4. assetic

Sep 5, 2005
    Ohh gees. It completely does!

5. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    This is disturbing:

[image=http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/3606/paul9xe.jpg]

6. assetic

Sep 5, 2005

okay, creepy.

7. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    I think it's an improvement, I might actually even vote Liberal....

.... nahhh.

8. assetic

Sep 5, 2005
    GO VOTE TODAY CANADA!

9. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    Voted.

Does anyone know where I can find online reports on election results before 7pm (10pm EST)? It seems the major news sites won't be reporting the results before then.

10. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    i don't think you'll be able to find it anywhere, the whole point is not to influence the voting out west by showing results :)

11. cristalvandepol

cristalvandepol Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 30, 2002
    Yay! What an exciting day! If anyone was watching the pre-election show on CTV in Atlantic Canada then you would have seen my Canadian Parliament teacher Dr. Lori Turnbull. She had joked in class that the media was after her to be on TV but I didn't know that she was being serious. :p

12. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    Oh well, I suppose I can wait for the election results, I was just curious. The hockey scores are more important anyway.

13. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    Results as of this morning:

Con: 124
    Lib: 103
    BQ : 51
    NDP: 29
    Ind: 1

I don't think the Conservatives did as well as they had hoped. I don't think they were expecting a majority, but perhaps a stronger minority. As it stands they're likely going to have to work with the Bloc to form government because the NDP doesn't give them enough seats and the Liberals aren't likely to be too friendly to Conservative concerns.

It's interesting to me that the Tories actually lost five seats in BC while the NDP gained five. That probably indicates people were voting strategically to keep Harper's boys from getting a larger share of the house.

14. poof-the-magic-jedi

Jun 3, 2005
    Sure didn't take long for Harper to look like a fool did it?

Harper on an elected senate (Dec 14, 2005): "A senate chair should be occupied by someone with a democratic mandate, and Canadians should be able to mark their ballot for their Senator, as well as for their MP. We need a ballot with senators? names, and seats with senators that have been elected. Under a Conservative government, Canadians will choose who sits in this chair."

Harper after appointing an unelected person to senate and his cabinet (Feb 7, 2006): "... we'll be proceeding with Senate elections in the not-too-distant future."

The not-too-distant future is probably sometime before the second coming of Christ. Was this part of Harper's accountability pacakge?

Harper on Stronach's defection to the Liberals (May 18, 2005): "There's no grand principle involved in this decision, just ambition,"

Harper on Emerson's defection to the Tories (Feb 7, 2006): "I don't think he should view this as Conservative versus Liberal. I think David Emerson is quite comfortable in our party."

I'm sure Emerson wasn't driven by personal ambition at all. He probably came to some kind of crisis of conscience during the weeks since the election, thinking about what life would be like without that cabinet paycheque.

Emerson on election night regarding Harper (Jan 23, 2006): "I'm going to be Stephen Harper's worst enemy. We're going to stir the pot and you better believe we are going to make a heck of a lot of noise."

Emerson after joining the Tories and Harper's cabinet (Feb 6, 2006): "... I can be more helpful to the people of my riding, the people of my city, the people of my province and the people of my country doing this, as opposed to being in opposition and trying to become a powerful political partisan which I have never been."

Ya, you've never been partisan at all, other than the fact that you were elected as a Liberal. I guess circumventing the democratic process for political gain is just "A" ok with the "new" Conservatives.

When the Conservatives were saying "Stand up for change" what they really meant was "Stand up for the same old crap." I'm glad I've never wasted my vote on either a Conservative or Liberal candidate, and I can only wonder why so many voters continue to do so. I suppose most people aren't really bothered by this kind of hypocrisy, and we truly do get the government that we deserve.

15. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm just annoyed that McKenna dropped out of the running for the Liberal leadership. I would have voted for him. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.