main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It's Good To See That Our Beloved Franchise Is In Such Capable Hands

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Trip, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Curtis Saxton, Curtis Saxton, Curtis Saxton

*A 13KM "Star Dreadnaught" rolls into view*

[face_worried]

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    *And Ewoks everywhere hurl spittle upon the ground.*

------------------

Leeland's job has to be a lot like playing with legos in a classroom...you build up your castles and creations...you get everything set in a row...and the teacher makes you share the pieces with some other kid, who doesn't respect the glimpse of perfection and symmetry you've struggled to make...he/she either 1)destroys your creation to start over 2)takes your creation and adds some gaudy addition which makes no sense but they did just to make it theirs...3) attempts to hijack all the blocks, at which point you complain to the teacher, who tells you that you've played with the blocks alone long enough, and to come back to them when the other kids is done.

Of course, by the time you get back, there is little that you can resemble, and you'll never get it back to the way it was...so you begin anew...since this is the addiction of lego blocks.

This must be what it's like for Leeland with every single book.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  3. Graestan

Graestan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2008
    Super-Saxton Star Deathbringer, thankyouverymuch. :p

4. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Everybody sing: "Real American Heroes! Mr. Star Wars continuity editor!"

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Chee vs. Lucas... the ultimate neverending battle

6. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    You want to know the sad part?

the power Leeland could have to mold the universe to his personally choice is there.
    He could retcon in circles if he wanted to make something fit as he wanted to.

He could even do cartwheels with G-canon if necessary.

but...he doesn't.

He's never taken the reigns of continuity and bellowed "mine".

Whereas Lucas seems to take glee at the opportunity these days.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sadly, I view Leland as being Artax in that story... :(

8. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007
    Is it just me, or does this guy have the most awesome job in the world?

9. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    I know. Who wouldn't want to be the gatekeeper of their favorite fictional universe and get paid to top it all off? He's someone who can truly say they love to go to work every morning. I'm envious big time.

10. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    =D= True that! Now give me more DLC Star Wars characters for my Soulcalibur IV.

11. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I think when it comes to Lucas, Chee is expected to "make it work." Like, I'm doing this, we hired you, now you make it fit in somehow. Though I doubt Chee personally interacts with the big man.

12. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    This is so going on my Wookieepedia userpage.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    "There is no fan continuity." Possibly the greatest statement ever... [face_laugh]

14. DaggerSword

DaggerSword Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2008
    Nor is that his job. He keeps tabs on the existing continuity as it changes. That's it.

Being the creator and originator of the fictional universe, that is his every right. Anyone employed by him would have to accommedate this fact, which Chee does very well. I certainly don't envy his day-to-day job problems, though. :p

15. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That's what it's like for Leland . . . if you're suggesting that he's the indifferent teacher. If you're suggesting he's the kid . . . I don't see it at all. That's Abel's position right now, frankly. Leland is the guy with authority to manage things and keep other builders from making a mess . . . but who doesn't appear to be exercising it. He's the guy who can say, "No, you can't knock down Abel's castle, Karen. You have to leave his blocks alone." But he doesn't.

16. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Hm, okay, an explanation:

What bugged me about the article in question-- the reason I felt the urge to submit it for snarkery here-- is that it really does sound lovely.

If it were at all an accurate picture of what's been going on lately.

I mean... look, on the one hand, it is indeed fortunate to be a fan of the sole franchise to have an all-inclusive canon; it's pretty remarkable that the company in charge of said franchise considers this important enough to hire a guy whose sole job is to maintain continuity... but, yeah, it's become pretty clear lately that either somebody somewhere along the line ain't doing their job, or that the company as a whole has changed its policy with regards to continuity.

Which, well, if that's what happened, that's what happened, but it's awful disingenuous to keep acting like everything's whoo awesome, y'know? I'd appreciate it much more if they [not Mr Chee, necessarily-- just the vague collective "they"] would level with us; then I can decide if I still feel like sticking around.

The interview also kinda underscored what I've noticed seems to be a recent trend of focusing on inanities at the (presumable) expense of the big picture.

Like, fixing the title because it was off by a few pixels? Really? That's all you (again, not Mr Chee specifically; he wasn't the one who caught this 'mistake' anyway) could find wrong with a project as ridiculously out there as TFU? It reminds me very much of the sole 'retcon' we got for PoD-- the one about the accidental usage of Vaapad, which nobody cared about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.