main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"It's just a movie"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Archetype, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archetype

Archetype Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2005
    Sometimes I see posters reply with "It's just a movie" to questions. I just wanna say, for what it's worth, that that bugs me. It's NOT just a movie. "Armageddon" is just a movie. Star Wars is a world we carry around in our heads, a universe whose details have captivated millions. Star Wars is one of those rare creative productions that inspire adulation, worship, endless curiosity, and thereby inspire people to add on to it, writing fan fiction, books, thousands of posts (though I haven't). That kind of thing comes along rarely. Conan Doyle did it with Sherlock Holmes. Lovecraft did it with his stories. Tolkien, of course--i doesn't happen often. Star Wars is NOT just a movie. If it was just a movie, and if "It's just a movie" was a reasonable thing to say, there wouldn't be 50 new posts on these boards every day--none of us would be here!

2. Freddy-Krueger

Freddy-Krueger Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2005
    While people should contribute something more than "it's just a movie" I think it's safe to say that people get a little too passionate when it comes to opinions/ideas on the series. When you get flame wars starting over a movie...it's kinda odd.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    You mean like in the "Did Boba Die?" thread?

4. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    It is just a movie.

It has actors, directors, stagelighting, dubbing, special effects, scripts etc etc.

- O_F

5. DerthNader

DerthNader Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 25, 2001
    Yes, it is just a movie...that also happened to inspire a seperate universe that long ago took on a life of its own. Which doesn't make it quite a set of movies, anymore. And to reduce something like this down to one mundane generalization completely dismisses the impact and import of the entire creation.

And it inspires passions of all kinds. Is that immoral, somehow? I tend to think that better debates can come out of devotion to a particular creative venture than to something as one-dimensional as an actor or a band. I've seen some interesting debates in various SW forums that covered topics I honestly never thought about...and I usually do put at least two iotas worth of thought into SW at least once a day. :p

Besides, if there wasn't flaming about SW, then there would be flames about religion, about sexual orientation, etc. ad nauseum. I think that debates about a creative entity are far less destructive.

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "It's just a movie" is a strange thing to say.
    Of course it's kinda weird to get worked up about details and debates about "just a movie", but then again, it's what these forums are all about. If it's just a movie, we could just as well close the JC.

However, there are some things where that phrase may apply. If you wanted, you could explain things like... lightsaber shadows or maybe sound in space with it. "Star Wars has different laws of physics" is one answer. "It's just a movie" might work for some people.

But generally, Star Wars is not just a movie (series). It is a world, full of details and sometimes even depth ;) Just Movies can't become much of a hobby to people. Star Wars is huge.

Saying "It's just a movie" is probably just an opinion by those who say it, as their reason not to worry about certain things.

"It's just a movie" doesn't work.
    However, "It's just a message board" does ;)

7. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I can't really say about Star Wars that its just a movie when you can write a history or thesis paper on it.

8. RDaneel

RDaneel Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2005
    It is just a movie, or rather a set of them. It's a fun and sometimes very good set of movies, but just movies nonetheless.

9. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I only remind people it's just a movie when they expect more than it is.

At the end of the day, as cool as Star Wars is, it's a series of movies and as such they aren't going to be perfect.

To expect better than what we got is to expect more than mortal man can deliver.

10. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    However, there are some things where that phrase may apply. If you wanted, you could explain things like... lightsaber shadows or maybe sound in space with it. "Star Wars has different laws of physics" is one answer. "It's just a movie" might work for some people.

Hit the nail on the head, TwiLekJedi - reality.

<soapbox>

Reality is not Star Wars, despite how hard some of us try to shape our own reality around it. It's just a movie, a story born from the experiences and creativity of George Lucas. It's this truth that some choose to deny. However, just as undenialable is the impact these movies have had on people - millions of people. If you don't 'live' Star Wars and don't see the attraction, then so be it, but you cannot deny and should not mock people's devotion to it. Check out FANFORCE for proof.

Until you walk a mile in someone else's shoes, you don't the reality they live. For many of us Star Wars is an escape from inattention, opression, tyranny, persecution and abuse.

</soapbox>

11. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

Um, I really like "Armageddon".

12. KPoland

KPoland Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2005
    Star Wars is more than just a movie, it is a very important part of my life. And that's why I'm here. My icon, btw, represents my most favorite scene in these movies.

13. Dark_Faith

Dark_Faith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2004
    Star Wars is not just a movie.

Star Wars is life.

Be more concerned about people who are obsessed with drugs and killing before you worry about people obssessed with an enterprise which promotes the human spirit.

14. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001

Be more concerned about people who are obsessed with drugs and killing before you worry about people obssessed with an enterprise which promotes the human spirit.

And sells adoreable merchendise!
    [image=http://www.brianstoys.com/acatalog/AWT_Vintage_PlushDoll_Paploo-Boxed.jpg]

15. Han-Starkiller

Han-Starkiller Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2005
    The Bible was just a book

16. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    It's not just a movie, it's Star Wars!"

17. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I like to think of it this way:

Star Wars really happened, but the movies are just movies that depict those "real" events in a dramatized way with some creative liscence (i.e. sound in space) to make the story more appealing for the audience.

18. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    The Bible was just a book

Wow, comparing Star Wars to the Bible?! That is just waaaaaaaaaaaay to far. At least the Bible can save one from eternal damnation. Star Wars just provides 2 hour entertainment. That's how long it lasts. 2 hours. The Bible, and what's in it, lasts forever. Think twice before you compare something that's just a movie, to something like the Bible.

19. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    No offense, Darth Sammy, but to same people it really is just a book. Not everyone believes in the monotheistic principles of Christianity. :p

And I think the comment was meant ironically, anyway. :)

There is a line to be drawn where something is "just a movie." If you're stalking an actor because he was in a SW movie, then you need to be reminded that it's just a movie. If you have every toy lightsaber ever made, well then...good for you. As long as you're paying your bills, you don't need a reality check. Do you know what I'm saying?

20. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I think the analogy to the Bible is a good one. Honestly, to some the Bible is very important; to some it is just a book.

To some Star Wars is just a movie. To others it's much more than that.

Granted, the importance of the Bible to those who truly believe in it is probably (generally speaking) more significant than Star Wars is to those who practically worship it, but I do think it's a good comparison.

I for one see it this way. Star Wars is a series of movies that has become something more. It's inspired this, for lack of better phrasing, devoted following. And that's fine. There are a lot of principles in Star Wars that warrant discussion - religious, scientific.... But there's also a point at which you should draw a line. When people are arguing over whether the name Ben should appear in RotS, that's a little much.

Also, when flame wars start because someone suggested that they see something a different way, it's time to take a step back.

It's come to stand for much more than just a movie series but, bottom line, it's a movie. it's fiction, it happened on soundstages and involves special effects and scripts. That doesn't mean we can't explore it for all it's worth though.

Jes

21. Han-Starkiller

Han-Starkiller Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2005
    Right. It's subjective.

22. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    At least the Bible can save one from eternal damnation.

If you say so.

For many people, Star Wars will easily be more important and "bigger" than the Bible. But that doesn't necceserily mean that they're seeing the movies as something more important than what it actually is, it can mean that they just don't feel too highly about the Bible.

Like me..

(I know I didn't actually state anything new or unsaid here, but I just felt like saying it anyway :p )

23. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    How about "It's fiction" because it is. It's fun, I love Star Wars,I've spent countless hours playing, reading, watching, and imagining about Star Wars but it isn't real. The effect it has had on people and the movie industry is real, but the stories, characters, species, technology,,,,it's all fiction. Plain and simple.

24. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "The Bible was just a book"

Wow, comparing Star Wars to the Bible?! That is just waaaaaaaaaaaay to far. At least the Bible can save one from eternal damnation. Star Wars just provides 2 hour entertainment. That's how long it lasts. 2 hours. The Bible, and what's in it, lasts forever. Think twice before you compare something that's just a movie, to something like the Bible.
    "

[face_laugh] What a tool.

25. BATTLELION

BATTLELION Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    Only the weak-minded say "it's just a movie."

I find their lack of faith disturbing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.