"It's just a movie"

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Archetype, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. DS615 Jedi Master

star 4
    If "it's just a movie" is your opinion, then that's fine.

But you are sooooo in the wrong place...

2. jedi_john_33 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    it's a good story...but, i don't live and breathe it. but, i respect those who do find philosophical values in it.
  3. Darth_Mimic Force Ghost

star 4
    Film, like any other artistic medium, should be taken seriously. Yes, I know that some people view film as escapist. I know that some people see film as passive entertainment. Personally, I'm of the opinion that film can be just as evocative and intellectually stimulating as well written literature. In some ways, film is an advance on theatre. And when we talk about 'high' art, we generally use Shakespeare as an example for writing despite the fact that his plays were written to be seen, not read. Also, film has a permanance that individual theatre performances lack.

Anyways, that's just me.
  4. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I enjoy film, so technically, Star Wars IS just a movie. I don't live for it, and I don't breathe it, but I love them just the same.
  5. dooku-ca-choo Jedi Knight

star 2
    Of course it's not "just a movie". It's five (soon to be six) movies, and more books, and comics, and slurpee cups, and bed sheets...
  6. DS615 Jedi Master

star 4
    "oh it's just a movie, but I don't live it. I don't breath it. I'm not a nerd, or a geek or whatever. I only respect the story or the art."

Ha ha.
    That, of course, is why you're registered and posting on a Star Wars message board, right?

After this, I assume you log on to the Wizard of Oz board, then the Gone With the Wind board, and round out your evening by breezing through the L.A. Story pages?

No? Those are artistic and good stories! Must be something more about SW, huh?

7. Hades2021 Jedi Master

star 4
    Star Wars is just a movie, but one of the most influential, probably.
  8. Han_Solo_Fan_03 Jedi Knight

star 1
    If you think its just a movie, and nothing more, you really shouldn't be here. Well, I'm obsessed with movies ( I actually want a career in movies), and the SW are the most important movies, to me. They are more than just movies to me. I also believe that they are more then just movies to society. It has such effect society, do I even need to explain how? To some people, they are just movies. To me, SW is a huge part of my life. To society, its more then just an average movie.
  9. Emperor_Dantius Force Ghost

star 2
    Archetype, I like your style.
  10. Matt-trooper Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey, if sports nuts can be passionate about sport, then star wars fans can be passionate about Star Wars
  11. Emperor_Dantius Force Ghost

star 2
    Matt-trooper, I like your style too.
  12. durty_mynock Jedi Knight

star 3
    yes, it's a movie...but forget the "just"...when someone says "it's just a movie" about star wars, my world falls...IT-IS-NOT-ONLY-A-MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ahem...sorry, but star wars is too a way-of-life, a reason to live, and Darth Vader is more than a character in a movie. I think to star wars all the day (yeah, this is the thrue) and for me, somethong who run in your thinks 24h/24 is not only a movie (a religion?)
  13. DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    It has such effect society, do I even need to explain how?

Yes you do. How has it effected society any more than any other pop culture phenomonom?(sp)It had some significant changes in the way FX are done and shook up the established studio system, at that time, but how has it effected society?

yes, it's a movie...but forget the "just"...when someone says "it's just a movie" about star wars, my world falls...IT-IS-NOT-ONLY-A-MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ahem...sorry, but star wars is too a way-of-life, a reason to live, and Darth Vader is more than a character in a movie. I think to star wars all the day (yeah, this is the thrue) and for me, somethong who run in your thinks 24h/24 is not only a movie (a religion?)

You're right. Its called Obsession and is usually unhealthy.

14. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    How about this: It's okay to say "It's just a movie" in real life

but it's silly to give it as an answer on the biggest Star Wars message board on the internet
  15. WLDB Jedi Master

star 4
    "The Bible was just a book"

Wow, comparing Star Wars to the Bible?! That is just waaaaaaaaaaaay to far. At least the Bible can save one from eternal damnation. Star Wars just provides 2 hour entertainment. That's how long it lasts. 2 hours. The Bible, and what's in it, lasts forever. Think twice before you compare something that's just a movie, to something like the Bible."

The Bible is just a book. There is no proff to support it. Just a billion people who say its real. Meanwhile 5 billion others disagree.

Star Wars is just a movie. A good one though.
  16. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    to go with the above-quoted comparison: You can say "The bible is just a book."
    Just don't say it Sunday morning in church.
  17. WLDB Jedi Master

star 4
    ^
    No problem. Being an atheist and all, I dont go to church.
  18. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    "Not literally!", Stan Marsh, SP615
  19. SkyWookiee Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think there's a limit to how detailed a fictional world should be, and that other movies can't be discussed as much as SW (provided someone wants to). I think that people who ruin the discussion with "it's just a movie" don't know how fun it is to dig deep into a story and have very little imagination. I also think people who get hurt at this comment, like many in this thread are overreacting. Not everybody cares as much as them. We don't care equally much about different things in our own world, either.
  20. DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that people who ruin the discussion with "it's just a movie" don't know how fun it is to dig deep into a story and have very little imagination.

That's not necessarily true. I love in depth conversations about the how's and why's of Star Wars. I've even gotten into heated debates w/my friends over Star Wars. However, sometimes, "It's a movie" is the answer. Such as the stormtrooper's level of shooting accuracy in relation to the main characters. The answer is because it's a movie and in this movie, or series of movies, the main characters don't die. That's how it was written. How else can you reasonably explain how 3 civilians and a Wookie could stroll around the Death Star and get away with it?
  21. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    because Vader and Tarkin let them escape, to trace them to the base ;)

although there are examples where only movie logic applies. Like the current Zuckuss thread.
  22. DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    because Vader and Tarkin let them escape, to trace them to the base

[DrEvil]Riiight[/DrEvil]

Ya, because they didn't have Obiwan, Leia, or the droids. No way of getting the location of the hidden rebel base. Nope. Never would've happened. "Letting them escape" is a plausible and good excuse for the plot line, but it's still requires just a bit of "willing suspesion of disbelief" which is quite handy when watching Star Wars.
  23. durty_mynock Jedi Knight

star 3
    my previous post;
    "yes, it's a movie...but forget the "just"...when someone says "it's just a movie" about star wars, my world falls...IT-IS-NOT-ONLY-A-MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ahem...sorry, but star wars is too a way-of-life, a reason to live, and Darth Vader is more than a character in a movie. I think to star wars all the day (yeah, this is the thrue) and for me, somethong who run in your thinks 24h/24 is not only a movie (a religion?)"

DARTHJOHNKENOBI: "You're right. Its called Obsession and is usually unhealthy."

eh!!! you can't judge people without knowing them!
    but you are right when you speak about obsession. So, star wars is not only a movie, because it leads to obsession for weak people like me...

24. AlanBradbury Jedi Padawan

That, 'the bible is just a book' comment touches on an interesting point with regard to how people perceive Star Wars and what significance they attach to it.
    No doubt people who follow religion will be up in arms about the following, but the fact remains that their religion is simply something they choose to believe, and, as far as we know, nothing more. There is no proof for any of it, which of course is where the ingenious 'proof denies faith' argument so prevelent in religious doctrines comes from. The fact that so many people in the world actually believe in various religions is simply a matter of those beliefs having been around for so long and having gained credibility and a sense of mysterious significance over the centuries. Of course this doesn't prove that there isn't a god either, we simply don't know! One thing is for sure however, of all the different religions there are, they can't all be right. But that doesn't stop their followers believing it to be true, though it does at least prove some of them are wrong. Of course one of these groups could very well be right, you never know.
    What we do know is there is no doubt that a Christian brought up in the Bible belt of America is just as likely to have followed Islam if he had happened to be born in say, Saudi Arabia, or perhaps become a Sihk or Hindu if born in India. When this happens it isn't really even a choice that that person has made, just a matter of circumstance. But, having said that, if it gets them through the day, then I guess that's okay.
    In a similar way, some people actually do choose to make other things their faith, be it Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, customising their car or whatever. Sometimes they even choose to convert to a religion. This is where we come to the 'if god didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent him' postulation, which of course refers to the need for people to believe that there is more to life than their own mortal existence, to forestall the depressing thought that 'that's all there is'.
    So in many respects when people choose to make, for example, Star Wars their all-abiding interest, it is no less understandable than someone devoting themselves to a particular religious belief. It's so that they have something outside their mundane everyday existence. In that sense Star Wars becomes more than 'just a movie' to these people.
    When it comes right down to it, criticism of people who make that choice is no more or less valid than criticising someone's religious beliefs. Of course they will not like you doing so, but the significance they attach to it is purely from within themselves, which might make it difficult for them to accept what a critic is saying.
    Now I am not pretending that Star Wars is a religion of course, merely stating that for some people it will hold the same significance in their psyche as that kind of belief does for many people. Although, as an interesting aside, it's worth noting the amount of religious themes one can find in Star Wars: good versus evil, self sacrifice etc. Likewise, there are many bits culled from religions in the names and narrative of Star Wars, from the obvious 'Padme' taken from the buddhist chant, to the slightly obtuse 'virgin birth' of Anakin.
    So if anyone wants to attach huge significance to what others believe is 'just a movie' I say let them.
  25. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    "some people actually do choose to make other things their faith, be it Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, customising their car or whatever."

I like that listing. Loving cars to an extreme degree isn't very different from loving Star Wars as much as some of us do - it's just less nerdy, and a movie with action figures isn't quite the same as a car, but the obsession is, I think, comparable. You can just as easily say "It's just a car" and still be right.
    The people loving it place the importance on the topic or cars and movies - most cars and movies don't try to be that huge phenomenon.

And as I said, Star Wars fans should be able to deal with a "It's just a movie" in real life - those who say it shouldn't be surprised if they start an uproar on a message board dedicated to it.
    Religious people might not be used to this whole "freedom of speech" thing yet, because I think it's not too long ago that people stopped getting outcasted or burned for saying "eh, religion sucks". The Bible is just a book. It only holds a special meaning for a few billion people.
    Star Wars just holds special meaning (of varying degree, too) to only a few million people.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.