main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It's not April 1st until tomorrow.....

Discussion in 'Communications' started by malkieD2, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I thought my case for the sports forum was a pretty good one, Dingo. :( :p

2008: The 50th season of L.A. Dodger baseball! :cool:

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Senny thinks it was six months of whining.

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I have a feeling that mine was better. ;)

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    From your/the mod squad's POV. [face_plain] :p

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Well, I thought that the P&W forum thing went very well. Quite clear that most had a good time for the duration.

Plus, I've now been a mod three times. :p

6. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I'll never have colors again.

:( :( :( :( :(

7. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I still don't get how some people can get confused when a random and huge change, that happens to fall on April first(or the day before it), thinks it's something valid(you know, like Erwin stepping down for instance).

This especially goes for anyone that has been here for years, and flat out knows that the MS does an April fools joke every year.

Didn't like it? Waaaaaah. Don't care for the annual prank? Don't participate. I really don't see the reason to waste time pissing and moaning because the prank wasn't to your taste or standard. It was a joke, that should have been obvious, that happens every year.

Nothing more, nothing less.

And it's comforting to see that Everton hasn't lost his touch of stepping down after 15 minutes. :p

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    It was a good time. Thanks!! [:D]

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I think this might have been his longest tenure as a mod yet!!

10. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    My only grumble is that no-one is ever fooled by any of it, and the majority of things done are merely annoying/silly rather than an attempt to fool anyone. Perhaps shows an lack of innovation from the MS.

However, it's certainly not a major grumble, and people clear enjoy the festivities and absolutely no harm is done.

I just think that a little more thought, and a little more effort could actually produce something which genuinely fooled the userbase.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Hey! I lasted the entire life of the forum! How many other mods (except GIMER) can say that! :p

12. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Most of the EP3:SA and EP3:NSA mods :p

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Try telling that to the good folks of Denver after the newly-promoted and inexperienced GSA accidentally pruned their forum whilst trying to rectify a week-long server glitch of disappearing and reappearing banners :p

Yeah, most of them were fooled good and proper :D

14. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    We're not trying to fool anyone. Grant stepping down is real. dp stepping down is real. The P&W forum wasn't trickery. It was there on the afternoon of the 31st and everyone started posting. There's is no lack of innovation. That was it. What you saw is what you got.

15. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah if its not in the JCC then it didn't happen. Cuz the EUC was completely fooled by having all of the FC's say Wes Janson FC. I confused myself a couple of times clicking on threads and expecting to be in one FC and found out I was in another.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It depends upon the risk one is prepared to take. Stuff that's designed to fool the userbase tends to fall flat on it's face once it's been rumbled - which doesn't take very long. The first to run into it late on March 31st tend to ruin the jape for those logging on throughout AFD itself. Stuff like the P&W forum retains it's edge and novelty for the full (worldwide) 36 hour (or so) period. Executed well, as I believe the P&W forum was, that's more rewarding than relying on hundreds and hundreds of people to not try and wedge themselves in on a genuine piece of trickery... and to varying degrees, take advantage of it.

If there really was something that could take account of the potential volitility AFD now has surrounding here on the JC, it would be interesting, but thinking up that 'something' is IMO harder than it seems.

17. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    I agree with the ex-mod above me. (EAM)

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The difference between an individual forum trick and a JC-wide trick is important to note too. The P&W forum and the ill-fated LFL thing a few years ago were all JC-wide. I've mentioned the reasons why one worked and one didn't already. Smaller stuff confined to one forum, for example EUC as above, is far easier to carry off. The bigger the scale, the harder to control the trick becomes.

19. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Chris, you know I like you, but I have to admit I lol'd kinda hard at this one. :p

20. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Plus, since people are expecting a trick, it makes it that much harder to do when it isn't just silliness.
    And no matter how hard a minuscule minority complain about P&W, I don't suspect there are any hurt feelings over this kind of prank.

21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I thought this years April Fools "joke" was really good. Well done guys. :)

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Trickery wasn't my issue over P&W (shutting down the JCC for an hour, however, was an awful, awful, awful idea). I just happen to believe that the meme of P&W that has gone around the JC (even before AFD) to be highly annoying, akin to what happend with the internet at large with Snakes On A Plane. An annoying/bad idea is still just that. :p Since it was such a success, why not bring it back full time, since the whole of the JC (apparently) liked it so much?

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It was a success as a bit of a laugh.

24. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    The vast majority of people enjoyed what occured, so in that way it was a complete success! Absolutely no-one was tricked, so in that sense it was a complete failure.

Everton - I do disagree, there are plenty of opportunities to genuinely trick the userbase without any risk, or breaking any of our own rules. Just takes a little effort, and a splash of innovation. I have previously voiced ideas in the MS, but people appeared to prefer funny banners and icons.

Suiting the majority is what's important, not the vocal minority.

Indeed. I totally agree.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Suiting the majority is what's important, not the vocal minority.

I hate when I agree with malkie.
    :( :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.