main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends It's Not the Heat, It's the Humidity (L/M viggie; yep, again - one of the Temperature series)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Because I wanted to make kayladie97 squeal. ;)

Thanks for clicking! :D

Title: It's Not the Heat, It's the Humidity
    Summary: Part of the Temperature series.
    A/N: Many thanks to Jedi-2B for beta'ing (her banter in her stories makes me jealous and insecure [face_mischief] ) and kayladie97 for the title. This is set after Mara the Burninator. I guess. :p
    A/N2: Another Temp vig has been written, but I haven't even sent it to Michele yet - I'm still fooling with it. :)
    Chronological Listing and Links of the Series: I am putting this here due to the fact that readers have posted on different stories with ?what?s this about a sequel??. :p Here are all the stories (including this one) in chronological order (not the order they were written): Cold Front, Breaking the Ice, The Blanket Incident, It Was Cold, If You Can?t Stand the Heat, Warming Up, It Got Too Hot, Kindling the Flame, Mara the Burninator, It?s Not the Heat, It?s the Humidity, and Heat Wave.

Cover Art

Feedback is, as always and ever, treasured. :)

*~*~*

I made my way through thorny bushes and thick hedges with a rather unamused attitude. I was quite certain Luke could hear me ? not only because of the racket I was making just trying to get to him, but the steady stream of curses coming out of my mouth. Why did he insist on sulking in such remote, hard-to-reach locations on a place like Yavin IV? You would think being next to the middle of nowhere in the galaxy would be enough, but apparently not.

Not for Skywalker.

I grumbled as another thorn managed to find its way into my flesh. I yanked away the long branch, and kept going, ignoring the blood running down my arm. It?d heal. Normally I would be able to move in a forest soundlessly, totally unnoticed, but this time . . . well, this wasn?t a forest, it was a jungle, and one that was not entirely suitable for the human form. It was so thick that there was no way I could move through it silently. And it didn?t matter if I was heard, anyway, even if it did sting my sensibilities a little bit.

After all, Luke would know I was coming regardless if I made any noise or not. While he had muted our bond ? how much we could sense each other ? it was still more than strong enough for him to sense my nearness. His presence made ripples in the Force, no matter how much he attempted to still the waters.

The air was hot and humid, further proving its point to me that it was a jungle, not a forest. Vines were everywhere, and I had to duck and weave to get around them. My clothing stuck to my body, and I was regretting wearing a shirt with no sleeves

Little light filtered through with all t

2. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Awwwwwwwwwwww [face_love] This was incredible obaona. :D I loved the little bit of mush you had with the two of them, and even without the sneaking kisses, there was still the subtle mush between the two.

~~Jilly

3. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Oba! Beautiful! I love it. The last line, especially...

This series is just awesome, Oba-love. What a wonderful Christmas gift!

4. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Awesome!!! :D Poor Luke. :( I'm glad that Mara made him feel better though. [face_love]

5. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Hehehehe, another great fic. :D That ending reminded me of a quote, but I don't remember where it's from ---> "Speaking of nobody's looking . . . " [face_mischief]

For some strange reason that story cheered me up, even though it was sad that Luke was missing his father. The love and support that Luke and Mara gave each other makes me want to go hug my man and my kitties. [face_love] Overall a very warm and life-affirming little tale. :)

Jae Angel

6. Mirax-Jade

Mirax-Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2003
    Awwwwwww!!!!!!! Love it!

7. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    that was so touching. You have a talent for showing the little things in a relationship. I thought that Luke was remembering something from the past. It was wonderfully done. I'm even teary eyed. I think this is one of my favorites.

8. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Lovely job, oba!! Very much liked the story focus on Vader's death and how appropriate it was for Luke to grieve for him. Great work! *huggies*

~Rogue

9. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Squeeeeaaal! Hmm, did that sound girlishly excited or just incredibly piggy-like? Never mind, I got TWO now, count 'em, TWO! :D :D

And this one is now my official favorite (and it being my title suggestion affected that not one little bit! ;) )

There are so many things that I love about this one, it's hard to know where to start!

Luke jerked and sat straight up. I looked at him, thinking that surely he wasn?t surprised I was here. I touched our bond, and ? no, he was surprised. I had a distracted farmboy on my hands, it would seem.

I love that she was able to take him by surprise. I don't know why that part affected me so, but I was just smiling as I read that. :)

?It?s fine,? Luke assured me, glancing my way, a flash of blue.

I like that description of his eyes, nice imagery there. :)

I could tell he didn?t want to talk about it. For all his openness, in some things he was utterly reserved. I waited patiently, adjusting my position on the boulder so I would be more comfortable. He paused, then sat up entirely, facing me. His blue eyes appeared darker from this position, his head lowered. The smile faded.

I loved that entire sequence, the way you used his body language to let us in on the direction of his thoughts and feelings...just magnificent. And I also liked what this says about Mara. Patience is not a trait she's normally known for, but this is Luke and everything is different with him, isn't it? [face_love]

My hands were on his hip and back, and I couldn?t stop myself from caressing his warm skin. The utter stillness of Luke?s mind faded, and gradually his shields dropped as well. I truly sensed for the first time his sadness as he opened up to me, sharing the emotion.

His mind met mine gently, and I could feel him exploring for my own emotions on the significance of the day. I had no doubt he sensed my lingering anger, but he didn?t comment or even react, just moved on, soothing me. His simple presence calmed me.

Ah, I barely have the words! The way their senses joined so gently and slowly. I can see them so clearly on that rock in the middle of the pond...you are truly gifted, Oba!

I didn?t slap him for his cockiness, but I was tempted.

[face_laugh] And there you go, smoothly tying them all together with the slapping theme! This was absolutely perfect, could not have been better, made my day when I saw it here,

**kayladie is dragged away from the computer by her son, cutting off the effusive praise or she might have gone on forever** ;)

10. Lady-Hermione

Lady-Hermione Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 2003
    That was such a sweet slice-of-life. Like others have commented, you have a great gift in the subtle penning of small details that perfectly characterize Luke and Mara as two individuals and as one whole. I usually have no love for Mara, but I liked her here! She was a nice, loving Mara... still herself without being disrespectful.

Luke was lying down on a boulder near the middle of a small pool fed by a spring, staring up, the sunlight falling down on him. His hands were casually thrown over his head, and I could see just a hint of his stomach showing with his shirt pulled up the way it was. He was barefoot ? Force knew how he had managed to get here that way ? and wore an old, tight pair of combat pants. Very tight, I noted appreciatively.

Thanks for that mental image-- its such a nice one. [face_love]

Great installment, all the way through! Its so well-written, touching, and just all-around sweet. I agree with NarundiJedi: I need to go hug somebody now. :)

11. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    *bounces happily and hugs vignette to herself* Another! :D And here we go... ;)

Why did he insist on sulking in such remote, hard-to-reach locations on a place like Yavin IV? You would think being next to the middle of nowhere in the galaxy would be enough, but apparently not.

*giggles*

And it didn?t matter if I was heard, anyway, even if it did sting my sensibilities a little bit.

Very Mara-ish, that even with her own husband the only one around, it bothers her slightly that she can't move silently. :p

?Curious, that humidity can make a person so depressed,? I remarked.

?Yes, curious,? Luke said in an uninviting tone.

LOL!

Luke ignored that from me often enough, with good reason, so I returned the favor.

Good for her. :D

In the year we had been together, I discovered, however, that what I thought I knew about Luke wasn?t everything. Oh, his basic nature was obvious ? but there were so many small surprises in knowing him.

I LOVE this. Too many stories show Mara as incomprehensibly complex and Luke as simplistically open, when the truth is they're both somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. Mara appears complex but is really pretty straightforward when you get to know her, Luke appears open and straightforward but has hidden complexities. I love how realistically you portray them. :D

?But it?s not that to us, is it??

That's just so sweet, that even as preoccupied as Luke is with his own grief, he takes the time to acknowledge that the day is painful for Mara as well. [face_love]

I just get angry, which is bad, as you keep reminding everyone in sight.

LOL!!!

I leaned forward, and lightly kissed him on the lips. He responded a little, kissing me back and even following me a bit as I drew back. I brought my hand to the side of his face, and he turned his head to kiss my palm.

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

?There?s nothing wrong with it,? I insisted with a gentleness I didn?t know I had. But Luke needed it, and that was enough for me.

Wonderful. Simply wonderful. :)

?Ah, well,? Luke said, starting to smile. ?It?s still here, but I can deal with it now. With you.?

I lay my head against his chest again, feeling him inhale and exhale. ?We?re being sappily romantic,? I whispered.

?I know,? Luke whispered back.

They're just so cute! [face_love]

He was still far more skilled than I with using our bond ? probably all the practice he got in before I gave him actual permission -

*giggles* :p

I didn?t slap him for his cockiness, but I was tempted.

*grins* Look at the symmetry! :p Lovely, darling! :D

12. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Exellent as usual.
    Feel free to PM me whenever U update this series, or just need an up.

13. KataiJade

KataiJade Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2002
    Whoohoo!

Another one!

I love it.

Sappily romantic!

Great job Oba!

Loved the mush!

14. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    JainaDurron: Thank you! :D It was originally a little more serious - I wanted to add lighter moments, and I think it worked out pretty well. :) And subtle mush is always good. ;)

Emmi: Thank you! :D I have fun writing them. ;)

Jaina_and_Jag: It occurred to me that Luke was always comforting Mara, and never the other way around - hence, this story. :p And thank you. :D

NJ: Thank you. :D I have to admit, I don't recognize the quote, though. :p And that is interesting. 8-} I'm glad it did cheer you up, though. :) It certainly wasn't meant to be sad. Anyway, thank you! :)

Mirax-Jade: Thank you! :)

RebelMom: :eek: [face_blush] Wow, thank you! :D That's great - I'm glad so many people like it so much. 8-} This series seems to be about those little moments, rather than the big ones, so I guess it's a good thing you think I'm good at those little things. :p

rogue11lovesjag: Thank you! :D I thought it'd be an interesting little thing to do - I don't see how Luke felt about his father's death gone into very often, and the idea just went with the idea I had for the title. :) *huggies*

kayladie97: If you count the next one, I suppose that would be three - but I think someone else suggested the same title in another thread, too. :p But aye, TWO! :D I find it interesting it's your favorite, I'll have to think about what I did right with this one. 8-} I don't think Mara often takes Luke by surprise - so that was another hint for her that Luke really was sulking/whatever. And I like to use body language to characterize the characters rather than just saying how they feel - the effect is more subtle, I think. :)

And yep, everything is different with Luke. ;) Aren't we romantics?? [face_love] The part where the two of them relax together was kind of interesting, because I was trying to figure out what to do next in the story - how to end it. 8-} And aye - I had about 4 different endings until I settled on that one. ;)

Have fun with your son. :D

Lady-Hermione: Thank you. [face_blush] I try to do that - give little, telling details. I think they say a lot more than generalized paragraphs. I'm glad you liked her here! :D 'Tis a compliment to know I made someone like Mara who does not, usually. ;) And aye, that's a nice mental image - my beta pointed out a little flaw just before it, and then added 'no one will notice considering the next paragraph' or something to that effect. [face_mischief]

Gabri: You silly girl. :p I figured you would like that first line you quoted. ;) Anyway, I agree with you - both of them have simple and complex characteristics. Luke often gets the short end, I think, because the simple ones tend to shine through more powerfully. As I said to someone else, I realized that Luke was always comforting Mara, and that was the idea behind this. :) I think it was completely natural for Luke to realize what it meant to Mara, as well as himself. And aye, they are cute. [face_mischief] Thank you, darling. :)

_3MD_PsychoSniper: My apologies that I completely forgot to PM you. [face_blush] Whoops! I'm not used to PM'ing readers with updates. And thank you. :)

KataiJade: Aye, sappily romantic! :cool: Thank you. :)

15. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Another great one obaona. I loved it as well.

16. Ariapaige

Ariapaige Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 25, 2002
    Ah Oba! I'm late again, as usual... But it doesn't mean i didn't love it! I liked the way Luke and Mara played off each other's emotions. Again, this is awesome. I can't wait for the next.

;) Paige

17. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    ?How is it,? I said softly, ?that you calm me when I came here for you??

Luke laughed quietly, his body shaking. ?Having you here is enough.?

Awww! You just described how you make me feel when my wife is near! Beutiful, simply beutiful! [face_love]

18. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    A beta's work is never done... :p

Luke was lying down on a boulder near the middle of a small pool fed by a spring, staring up, the sunlight falling down on him.

Change that to the spring. But like I told you earlier, who's going to notice the spring, what with that great description of Luke that follows! :D

Sorry I'm late getting here -- but you already know I love this one. I think it's one of my favorites. You do such an excellent job portraying their emotions.

And thanks for the compliment on my bantering! But it's certainly not any better than yours. :)

19. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    J_M_Bulldog: Thank you. :)

Ariapaige: I wouldn't call the day after it was posted late. ;) And thank you. :D I wanted to get primarily into Luke's head, but instead I got both of them. Ah well. :p

Rivad_Bacar: You are such a mushpot for your wife. :p And thank you. :p :D

Michele: Gahhh! :p I'll go change it. ;) And no problem - I don't expect people to post the minute it's posted! :p And aye, I do know. [face_blush] Thank you! :D And yes, your bantering is better. ;) Trust me on this one. 8-}

20. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    *squeals happily and claps* Pretty viggie, oba. :) I've missed too much, I know, dearheart. :p *scootles off to quickly read other fics*

21. LianaMara

LianaMara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    What a cute viggie, oba dear! :D There were so many things I enjoyed about it, but Gabri and kayladie have already picked 'em all out. :p I love how you portray Luke and Mara's relationship, and the little details are what make this series so great. I especially liked in this one how Luke was grieving for his dad. Very touching. Awesome job again, my dear mum! ;)

I lay my head against his chest again, feeling him inhale and exhale. ?We?re being sappily romantic,? I whispered.

?I know,? Luke whispered back.

:D

22. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Elli: Thank you. :D And aye, you have! :p *giggles at mental image of Elli scuttling along to different fics ...* [face_mischief]

LianaMara: LOL! :p They do that, don't they? ;) Well, you got in semi-late. [face_mischief] And no one's commented on a little detail I put in there purposely just so you could find it! And aye, well, Luke is always comforting Mara, and I wanted it to be the other way around, and Vader's death was convenient. ;) Thank you, my dear petit Jedi enfant! [face_love]

23. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    great viggie, all of these are.

24. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Okay, so I went back and re-read all of them in chronological order to try and see why certain ones strike me more than others.

I liked The Blanket Incident mainly because it was Luke's POV and I guess it's a little sentimental because it was the first one.

I liked Warming Up because you did so well at showing Mara's insecurities and fears and because that's probably the best 'comforting Luke' that I've ever seen. He knew just what to say. **sigh**

I liked It Got Too Hot because it was so funny (their banter in that one was classic L/M!) and so damn sexy. Not bad while still keeping it PG!

Lastly, I think I liked It's Not the Heat, It's the Humidity because it was Mara comforting Luke. As you said, we don't see that very often. I think this one showed how far their relationship has come, that they're getting comfortable enough to talk about what is a very painful subject for both of them.

So, I really loved them all, but I think those are the ones that affected me the most. Of those, I'm not sure I really could pick a favorite! I just can't wait to see what the next one will be!

25. Rivad_Bacar

Rivad_Bacar Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2002
    You are such a mushpot for your wife.
    :D :D :D Yep!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.