main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA IT'S OFFICIAL!! C-IV IN L.A. MAY, 2007!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by ValedaKor, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    I'm know she's been around longer than I have, however, my old neck of the woods is considered by most (non-hispanic/latin) people off limits because we're all, "troublemakers"(no offense to anyone). That's what I was told,heard and saw alot of when I was growing up in that area. And I never really did see too many asain people (except for liquor store owners) in my area. I know this sounds all stereotyped, but I tell you the truth.

For reference my old neck of the woods are the suburbs of City Terrace,Boyle Heights,City of Commerce, and El Sereno.

2. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    here are two facts to make you guys say hmmm....:

1. I have been to El Tepeyac 3-4 times for lunch. We went there, wearing ties, like we usually do. Everyone thought we were cops. The Hollenbeck burrito fed me for two full meals. It was huge! The place across the street is good too. (El T is closed Mondays I think)

2. My parents, when the first lived in LA lived in Boyle Heights, then moved to Monterey Park. GO FIGURE! Both of those areas, in the days, were Jewish communities. At the time, it was very affordable and reasonable to live. A couple of the old churches in Boyle Heights originally were synagogues. You can tell by looking at the floor patterns and stain glass. They were converted later into churches.

Edit: When my office visits El Tepeyec, we are not the only caucasions. But, definitely a limited few. Great place to visit, during the day.

3. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    DB,

Are you back in L.A.?

4. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    I didn't find out Boyle Heights was a Jewish Community until High School. Then when I drove around, I noticed the cemetary had alot of Star of Davids on tombstones. Also, when I dated a Jewish girl after high school, her mom asked me where I was from and she told me she lived around there when she was younger.

And I think I know which churches you were talking about DB, I just haven't been to my old neighborhood in a while.

5. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    yup, locations and sights definitely change in LA.

No VK, I am in sunny Hillsboro, Oregon. Today, I filled up my car with gas. Actually, the attendant did it.

6. Jundland_Jay

Jundland_Jay Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 18, 2003
    What? :eek: They have gasoline-powered vehichles in Oregon? I thought you guys still used the horse and buggy![face_laugh]

Anyway, I have a song for you:

"I'm a lumberjack, and I'm OK. I sleep all night and I work all day!"

7. DarthHaskett

DarthHaskett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2003
    Who hasketted the thread?

I grew up in Monterey Park and while there were a few Jewish people in the community it was not a Jewish town during that time.

I wish CIV was in Indy again. Anyone know when registration will be?

8. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    GenCon has finally posted the first page up on their website, but there isn't any registration information yet. Hopefully they will do it before I leave for Florida on September 21.

9. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    Thanks VK! You are always a wealth of information.

10. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Now that I'm in MN, I'm excited for C4 being in LA, since it's an excuse to go back! If it were still in Indy, seeing all you guys would be bittersweet, 'cause you'd all be going back there together, and I'd just be coming back here by my lonesome. :/

Hopefully I'll be able to stay a little longer than the con and visit & stuff...we'll see how close to finals it is (hopefully it'll be AFTER finals--I don't know when this school gets out for summer yet).

11. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I'm seriously thinking of springing for a room if I can get one near by just because I don't want to have to drive back and forth. Okay, so I don't live that far from the convention center but still, I liked walking over to the Con. Also, I usually get there so early I would have to find parking nearby and my office's lot is too far away for me to walk to and from at such hours. Am I insane?

12. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    DH, you know you could take public transportation to CIV, like I probably will. I'm thinking of staying at my mom's house for CIV cause there's a bus that takes me directly to the convention center near where my mom lives.

I love L.A.!(public transportation)

13. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I've made reservations for the Sheraton right behind the Convention center. The padawan isn't coming, so I'm looking for room mates to share the expenses.

14. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    But there's isn't a Sheraton right behind the Convention Center. Are you talking about the one on Hope Street?

15. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I saw so many large buildings the day we drove around that area! Obviously, I'm a little confused. Yes, it's on Hope Street. Isn't that pretty close to the Con center? Now I'm not sure. :confused:

VK, would you please post the thread to the GenCon page you mentioned earlier? Once again, I'm a little lost. Thanks!

16. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    That Sheraton is the one attached to the Metro stop, so it's a hop and a skip on the train. Otherwise, it's about 7 blocks to the convention center.

It's here: GenCon.

17. Sol_Jedi

Oct 8, 2005
    GenCon looks like something right up my alley VK. JF, if you don't find a roommate, I'd be down to help share the costs. You know I've never stayed a whole night in a Downtown hotel. I've stayed most of a night, but never a full. Let me know what's up.

18. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    JF, I'd love to be your roomie! Hang onto the reservations for now and when the tickets go on sale I'll see if I can get a room at the convention rate which hopefully will be lower. Thanks for the offer! Yeah! Sorry, I'm just too lazy. Oh, and I wake up early so I hope you don't mind. Like I said before, I would be in line by about 4:30 or 5 am.

19. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    JF, I was starting to feel bummed about staying so far away when it occurred to me (much later than VK who knows all - I am constantly amazed) that the Blue Line is right there. The first train out is at 5 am, the first stop is a block for the convention center and it takes about 2 minutes from the hotel! It puts me about a half an hour behind schedule but I'll be fine. This is going to be so great! I hope your invitation is still valid because I'm really excited now!

20. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Another morning person! I think we're rare! So long as I can enjoy my cup o' coffee, morning is my friend. You're on the list! I look forward to meeting you on Saturday.

21. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    JF, I thought we met at D-land. Mr. DH, my padawan and I watched the fireworks with you, Sol_Jedi, SR, and JN. If I'm mistaken I'm very embarrassed.

If I am wrong, then I look forward to meeting you on Saturday and introducing you to mi familia.

Oh, and yes, I am definitely a morning person. At CIII, I would be up at 4 am, shower, and be out the door by about 4:30, well, after calling JR to wake him up of course. I felt bad that I was also waking up Mrs. JR who thought I was insane.

I was dreading the fact that CIV was so close but now it's all good! YEAH! I can't wait!

The other nice thing about having residential facilities near by, it's a place to dump my purchases after suffering from Star Wars Shop Syndrome.

This is what you look like before you go in...

[image=http://lafanforce.com/Gallery/albums/album04/IMG_0016.sized.jpg]

And this is you after...

[image=http://lafanforce.com/Gallery/albums/album04/IMG_0017.sized.jpg]

And we still come back for more.

22. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    [face_laugh] So true about the Shop.

Hopefully it will be less of a torture-fest this time around.

23. Adrian_Skywalker

Adrian_Skywalker Jedi Master star 3

Aug 11, 2004

I know well its been how many years now, they should have a better system. (Like so people are not waiting in the rain.) That was my mom and me.[face_worried]

24. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    You're right, we did me at DL. That was my first FF event and a bit overwhelming. I meet so many people that day. It was GREAT! Sorry I forgot. You've got a great memory!

Those pictures from C-III are terrific! This will be my first Celebration. I'm so excited!! The padawan's just not interested in coming. He will turn 16 the weekend before C-IV. I'm debating on whether I'll leave him home alone to care for all the animals while I'm gone. That will be a first. Very, very scary!

25. DarthHaskett

Apr 29, 2003
    I would take my padawan also but my padawan has another obligation that weekend so can't come. Plus it's just not as much fun having to worry about my padawan's eating schedule. Then when Mr. DH comes I feel guilty because he wants to stop to eat and I don't or they are both bored or something. Any way, it's much easier to go to such events as a single person but I do feel your pain. I would be hesitent to allow my padawan free reign for that amount of time alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.