main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO It's the End of the Show as We Know It: E3 2016

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Ramza, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Eh, I just liked the world designs - gameplay I doubt they'd change much - it'll be cover, shoot, use power X or Y, repeat.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I only dip into Pokemon briefly every few generations but I think I'll be grabbing Moon this go around. I want to experiment with it as a digital game (on the theory I'd play it more if I didn't have to tote it around as my exclusive game via cart since I don't encounter as many Pokemon players as I used to but it'd be nice to have on me for when I unexpectedly do).

Additionally, the setting is a big, big draw as I love exploring tropical beach/island settings in a game.

The breaks between segments are intentional. I'm assuming it's so people watching at home (or even those hosting the segments) can use the bathroom or make a sandwich (well, that's what I use them for).

And, as they've pointed out, they've never live demoed early gameplay footage of a Pokemon game before, so it is something new for fans.

Plus I believe that four-way arena battle mode they built up to *is* something new to the gameplay of the series.

And, honestly, I prefer these types of "natural" gameplay demos. They feel much less scripted (often more "polished" early demos tend to make it seem like the game is running on auto and they just stuck a camera on some guy/girl to make it seem like it's being played).

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That Pokémon demo was the single most scripted and artificial demonstration we've seen so far, and we literally watched demos with live orchestral cues. They were providing a deep dive on the surface level mechanics literal six year olds can figure out without a manual, and the majority of coverage was devoted not to new features, or the setting, or even the new Pokémon, but to 1 v 1 battles, a bog-standard trainer battle, and the only time in said 1 v 1 battle and trainer battle that something new actually showed up, namely getting experience even after capturing a Pokémon, they steamrolled right by it.

It. Was a bad. Demo.

Fortunately the Zelda stuff has been really good so far and they definitely won't **** on their goodwill by accidentally insinuating that women are useless or uncourageous aww crap.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I won't defend the Pokemon demo much- it didn't register to me as that mundane/redundant but that's probably because it's been a long time since I've played or watched Pokemon.

But they *did* spend a good amount of time talking about the environment and how it relates to the selection of Pokemon and the various main characters. So I suppose I took away that and the arena battle as more important/featured than the normal battle (where they were just highlighting the minor alterations to the battle interface and presentation).

As far as being scripted, while that's true on some level for any of these demos, I felt the Pokemon one was highlighting specific gameplay segments (even if they're ones we've seen before) as opposed to something like GOW or Days Gone where it was very much a single linear, scripted event with a specific beginning, middle and end. So it came across as less scripted as a result, but I realize it's subjective.

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  6. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I don't really care, I'll probably pick those games up one day but one question.

I thought Mass Effect ended? With Three? It had a big finale and the fans then hated it?

I don't know, I know the main character is John Sheppard (which is stolen from Stargate Atlantis) and that there's freaky alien designs, also Drew Karypshen is involved somehow and the team that made KOTOR.

(Someone correct me)

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, even years later the ME3 ending controversy remains legendary. I'm not best placed to comment on it as I played ME3 with the Extended Cut installed, so didn't see the harsher endings that pissed people off.

If you start playing from ME1, which wasn't possible for PS3 owners until a few years back, ME3 makes more sense. If you start with ME2, which a lot of PS3 players had to, ME3 at the end can come across as a downer ending. Start with ME1 and that picture changes substantively.

Oh and it's Sherpherd - 1 P, not 2.

And yes, that trilogy is standalone, but this new one is a new story in a different galaxy. In a lot of ways the PS3 / XB360 era ME games were ambitious but had those ambitions limited by the tech, so seeing what they do with the new tech does intrigue me.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm looking forward to "humans being the alien" this time shaking the formula up, whereas last time we merely had the tried and true presentation of "humans being the alien."

9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I keep wanting more. Like, yeah, there's a bunch of stuff! But I was hoping for a ton of fresh, new IP.

10. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Not impressed by Nintendo after all that. They were playing it safe and only showed Pokemon and Zelda, their two big money makers.

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Apparently tomorrow they've got a "new 3DS RPG IP" so, hey, that'll be something not as good as Dragon Quest VII unexpected.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tomorrow will have other titles (which, combined with today's brief Pokemon demo, is more than their original "Zelda only" plans at least), but it's definitely a conservative, minimal showing from them this year. They're obviously saving the big announcements for a Direct or TGS/Spaceworld in Aug or Sept.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nintendo's second Treehouse Live will be starting in a few min.

EDIT- Pokemon Go Plus is a Bluetooth companion device to allow the player to play Pokemon Go without having to stop moving or having to look at your phone the whole time. Miyamoto apparently leaked the release date/window for Pokemon Go/PG Plus, heh (July). The game will eventually have some kind of connectivity with Sun/Moon.

EDIT 2- New 3DS IP is Ever Oasis, an action adventure RPG directed/producer by Koichi Ishii, who worked on FF 1-3, 11 & the Mana series and designed the jobs system and Chocobos. Game is developed by Grezzo, who've worked on Zelda games too.

Has a slight Zelda/Animal Crossing/Lost Vikings hybrid vibe featuring desert pirate tribes and owl-penguins. You control multiple characters during dungeons/battles.

They're showcasing a pretty sweet boss battle...

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008

I'm looking at it and I still don't believe I'm looking at it.

[​IMG]

Life likes this.
  15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Days Gone looked like a World War Z simulator. It looked fun, although I don't know how similar it is to Left 4 Dead and other zombie shooters as I don't play a lot of them. I play few games in general, regardless of genre, so there might be nothing unique about it at all where I saw something. It would perhaps interest me if Telltale's The Walking Dead and The Last of Us didn't already fill my zombie quota, but they do, so in the end it won't.

I am also in the minority who was intrigued by Detroit. David Cage's games may have their faults, but I always enjoy them. The Spider-Man game also looked very good. I'm hopeful that Insomniac can lift the property out of Beenox's mediocrity. Particularly, the swinging mechanics of Beenox's games were a step backwards from Treyarch's run with the licence. Shattered Dimensions, which I am currently playing, is serviceable however. And of course I'm looking forward to The Last Guardian.

God of War doesn't really appeal to me, as I have never enjoyed angry loudmouth characters acting as a vessel for teenagers' repressed desires of machismo. You either are that character in your real life or you accept that you aren't, and get on with it, rather than making an utter fool of yourself pretending to be one in a video game. It's also the reason why I can't take seriously anyone who thinks there is something cool or braggable about enjoying Gears of War or 300.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  16. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    Technically it's not a zombie game, from the mouth of the developers. Days Gone looks like it took influence from The Last of Us and Sons of Anarchy which quite frankly I will not complain about. This game looks great so far.

Detroit was refreshing. There haven't been any games like it; maybe Heavy Rain comes close.

Your last statement is kind of rash. "making an utter fool of yourself..."? Why can't they just enjoy it because they find it enjoyable? It's just a video game, not a reflection of who they are in real life. That whole paragraph is laughable and seems spiteful.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I like God of War because of the uncompromising vision of Greek mythology, it pretty much portrayed the stories as they were originally told. Violent and populated with loathsome characters. I found the first one to be a legitimately well told Greek Tragedy too.

I'm looking forward to their take on Norse mythology and, going by the demo, they're trying to give Kratos some depth outside of 'generic, angry white dude'.

Jedi Ben and Darth Master Titus like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The new GOW is Norse myth-based? Dammit, now it sounds interesting...

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Like 100% of the appeal of the new GoW for me is how much it doesn't look like previous entries. Hunting mechanics, Norse myths, and the awkward attempt to bond with a son whose worldview is almost completely incompatible with yours, somehow with Kratos.

Life and Penguinator like this.
  20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Some people think that by liking a certain thing, they can be imbued with its properties, or that there is something inherently admirable about liking a particular thing, when in reality it is neither commendable nor condemnable - it just is. My comment was referencing those types. I'm sure you've encountered a few of them over the years. My impression of the target audience is unfortunately inexorably linked to this group of people, in perhaps unfairness to you and many others.

21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The Batman VR game sounds like it's a pretty standard VR experience, and it sounds like you're just using detective mode to reconstruct crime scenes throughout the entire thing...which is easily my least favourite part of those games.

So Phil Spencer is articulating on the whole cross-buy thing Xbox is implementing...and it's really solving a problem that didn't exist. He's describing the decision of picking a platform to play a game like Halo Wars or Halo 5 on, and whether or not you'd get it on the PC or Xbox, and he also includes Battlefield in that argument. But the thing is, if you bought Halo 5, you could only buy it on the Xbox; there's no question of "oh but what platform are my friends playing on?"

Where else will you get those exclusives, really?

22. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Playstation won again, IMO. I own an X-box, and once again most of their presentation was hardware. Which was cool, but other than Recore I'm seeing nothing I like that's exclusive.

Nintendo had Zelda. Which looks great, and definitely gave the fans something over last years horror show.

Resident Evil 7 looks cool, though the demo isn't even really an actual demo of what may be in the game. But I'm glad they're returning to horror as a main focus. First person has me iffy though, but I get why they're doing it. Question will be have other games already done what Resident Evil 7(which I don't think it's even called that in Japan) is attempting?

God of War looks great. Loved the first 2 games. Third had it's moments. This is apparently a sequel and not a reboot going by I read today, so this is indeed the original Kratos and not a multiverse thing. Play style is way different, and much slower. Don't know if I like it. Definitely not going to taking on a huge number of enemies easily with that stiffness.

Death Stranding. I'll see you in 2019 or 2020.

Battlefield 1, I must say it looks good. I have a huge love hate relationship with this series. This one seems to be more inspired by the original games. IMO, nothing has beaten 1942,BF2, and BF2MC.

Think that's about all that stood out to me.

No Red Dead 2...:(

Darth Master Titus likes this.
  23. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    That's the great thing about video games, it isn't reality. Your comment can be viewed as being a generalization of the fans of GoW, both God and Gears, and 300 that's why I responded. There are those who take video games too far, but for the vast majority we know it for what it is; just a video game. I guess that can be viewed as a generalization too..:)

DarthMane2 I read a rumor saying that Sony cancelled the reveal because of what happened in Orlando just recently. Supposedly the trailer they were going to show was a shootout scene in a saloon, so out of respect they chose not to play it. As I said though it is just a rumor.

24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    God of War was one of the more pleasant surprises of the show for me. When I heard rumors about another Kratos game, I wasn't interested, expecting that he would just slash his way through another pantheon or something. Teal'c from Stargate voicing him was a surprise but he sounds pretty good. Seeing him with a child, teaching him, I'm reminded of Last of Us, in a good way. I still expect that story to end in tragedy with the kid dead and Kratos on another roaring rampage of revenge, but... I hope not. Some of the interviews with the staff sure sounds like there will be more character with Kratos this time. Comments like Kratos being terrified of passing his rage on to his son (so maybe blood related rather than adopted), and saw some of that in the demo too, with him relatively holding back. They said the staff was thinking about putting the game in Egypt, but they wanted a more empty region, so settled on the frozen north.

I liked the first Halo Wars, and been hoping for more ever since (the Escalation comic's tease about the Spirit of Fire was just painful), but having it be cross-platform for PC seems kind of pointless. I have a half-decent gaming PC, so now I see even less point to buying a Xbox.

Nintendo's only showing is Zelda, but they announced that long ago. Its disappointing, and I worry for their future, but looks like they're just sitting it out until next year. At least Zelda will be a must-have game, too bad Nintendo needs more than just that to be competitive.

One of the quieter E3s in general, but they're never topping Sony's 2015 show, and all three companies are still preparing new consoles. Kind of funny with Last Guardian and FFXV so close (four months or so), there's not much news about those games left to announce. Kind of wish they wouldn't push VR so much, but guess that's the next gimmick.

Life likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Although I didn't watch the entire MS conference (just the trailers online), I kinda feel MS had the edge over Sony this year. They just seemed to have a bit more diversity in their titles. Or maybe it's just they had more games that I found appealing and seemingly fewer "ubi-style" gameplay demos (like GOW & DG).

Nintendo was a clear third this year due to the lack of a Digital Event and the conservative title selection (although I honestly enjoy watching most of the Treehouse Live feeds more than the majority of the conferences, as well as finding them more informative despite the criticism they received by some for not being more scripted but, then, as i mentioned before, that's why I like them), even if Ever Oasis was a pleasant surprise. Zelda would obviously be the winning title for me iverall, however. :)