main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit It's the same story being told over and over again, just like Zelda

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Scoundrels is very similar in being not about superpowerful people- indeed, it has Han & Chewie as protagonists instead of Jedi- it's a heist story.

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The depressing post-NJO has demonstrated just how broken the cyclical nature Jedi vs. Sith conflict has gotten, when it doesn't have to be that way, to the point that Scourge and Scoundrels among the very few books that I still have an interest in reading.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Mercy Kill is another post NJO book that has nothing to do with Jedi or Sith. Millennium Falcon might also qualify (Jedi business is not really important to the plot).

And while Crosscurrent and Riptide do- they have little to do with the conflicts of the present era- the Sith in those books are either survivors from the past (here in the present due to time dilation from travelling at near-lightspeed) or lab experiments from the Thrawn period (making them more Dark Jedi than Sith).

4. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009

This is the problem I find with post NJO star wars novels, Denning and the other novelists mistake mechanics = brand.

Sith have to be the Major galactic threat because that what was in the movies.

Sith have to choke people with the force, even when it makes no sense for them to do so.

Jedi/the O3 and thoes who follow them are always correct in everything they do. It does not have to work logically it just hast to be.

5. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I appreciate the recommendation, but seriously, GL ruined the Jedi so hard, that just a pic of the lightsaber is a turn off, which is kind of ironic considering that if the PT had been something like "Scourge" I suspect that I wouldn't find the PT so god-awful. "Scoundrels" on the other hand, (a book I read last night because my post got me curious and looking to see what was out there,) is exactly the kind of book I was looking for. It wasn't Ocean's 11, but it was refreshing. I'm ready for more like that. I was told privately that people like me who have left the EU due to repetition and staleness should try "Death Star" and "Millennium Falcon". It looks like there might be a way back into the EU after all.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Still think you ought to give Scourge a go, if only for it having a rather uniquely brilliant sequence that, after reading it, you immediately why its taken so long for someone to actually do it!

Plus it's paperback, as gambles, it's cheap.

7. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Why do you have that avatar if you don't like Lucas?

8. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    To me it looks like GL is pointing at everyone who went to see the PT and is yelling "Suckers!" or some other appropriately mocking phrase while NP stands with him, arm in arm, laughing at how gullible SW fans are. I feel like if you were to widen the angle you would see that in the hand on the arm he has wrapped around NP would be one of those ridiculous cartoony dollar sign money bags full of the money I spent seeing SWSE and SWPT movies in the theater over and over trying to convince myself that they weren't that bad...

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder what will become of the Sith in Legacy Volume 2.