main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It's time for a scholarly SW journal

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sword_Of_Goliath, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    I think it's time we had a journal of this caliber:

http://wvupressonline.com/journals/tolkien_studies

There's just as much, if not more, to discuss about SW as there is about Tolkien. It could be a very successful and exciting journal, using SW as a locus-point to cover many topics, from many diverse points of view.

I have some ideas, if anyone wants to brainstorm, PM me.

2. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    given that there are so many books of essays on Buffy and such, i'm rather surprised at the lack of Star Wars academia works. i've got a few ideas for essays...

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    http://domuspublica.net/analysis.html

4. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sep 22, 2010
    How is that of the same caliber of the journal I noted?

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's an analog, as nothing in Star Wars is of the same caliber as Tolkien either. You suggest there is plenty to discuss, and that might be so, but that would be more of a reflection on the scholars who chose to pen such studies than it would on the shallow pop cultural tie-in materials that Star Wars has to offer. Tolkien had the advantage of being a scholar himself, rendering academic studies of his works far likelier.

6. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sep 22, 2010
    "Far likelier?" I don't know what you mean by that.

All scholarship is a reflection of the scholar's preoccupations and interests. This would simply be a different kind of scholarship than that which examines Tolkien. I've read brilliant scholarly articles on everything from photography to illustration and advertising. Taken as a whole, SW is a deep mine for scholarly reflection.

Did you drop in just to dump on the idea?

7. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sep 22, 2010
    I'd like to hear them.

I know there are plenty of academics who love SW, I think it could be a varied and entertaining journal for those of us enjoy that sort of thing.

8. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Just because someone poses a conflicting view point in a discussion does not mean that they are dumping on an idea. It just means that they are of a different opinion then your own.

However there are scholarly works that have been done based on the technological ideas that Star Wars has presented. Heck there are even television programs based on the concept of devices that Star Wars inspired.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    An article--or even a monograph--is one thing, but a journal is something else. Do you really think there's enough material out there to sustain multiple scholars through multiple articles in multiple volumes of an academic journal dedicated to Star Wars? Really?

If you think there ought to be an academic journal dedicated to SW, find a university to sponsor and publish it and find scholars interested in submitting articles. Create an editorial staff, whether it consists of students or academics. Why are you posting about it here?

I've already suggested a sensible step: fan-created works written with academic discipline and thoroughness. You were not impressed: that's fine, but then I have to tell you that what you're suggesting is crazy. There have been books written about Star Wars and there have even been university courses taught about it: but a journal? That's a stretch. But if you think it's reasonable, then you should try to get it done.

10. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sep 22, 2010
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the process!
    Why post here? I've noticed many posts by academic fans with a lot of great ideas.
    And, er, the last time I checked, this was a forum open to discussing anything Star Wars.
    Lastly, I didn't say "let's throw an academic journal together this weekend!" I understand the concept, about the only magazines I read are scholarly journals; I thought it wd be fun/productive to kick the idea around with other people. Do I have your permission yet?
    >>but then I have to tell you that what you're suggesting is crazy<<
    Sorry to have disrupted your sense of reality. Your observations have been duly noted; so, don't worry 'bout me anymore, bye!

I've seen academic journals so obscure they'd cross your eyes, I'm sure there's a dept somewhere that wouldn't be opposed to the idea. Yeah, so if anyone actually wants to discuss this productively...

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If you can't take criticism, then I'm unsure if you're actually familiar with how academic articles get peer reviewed. Calm the heck down and quit being oversensitive. Contrary to your examples, scholars don't stick their fingers in their eyes and say 'nononononono' when people disagree with them.

12. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    and this is why i stopped coming regularly to these forums...

Anyway, Sword, drop me a PM or email. While I'm not in academia, I do have a couple ideas for essays that might be appropriate for a scholarly journal or for a Smart Pop type book.

13. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sep 22, 2010
    I'll be sure to do that. Been busy with a ton of crap.
    I can't figure what that guy's problem is, can you, lol?

"That guy" has a problem with your inability to interact with other users on a forum. People are going to disagree with you, and your response can't be "go away, I only want to hear from people who'll pat me on the back!!"

14. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    That's what this place is for: http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/p1

Arguably stuffier than real academics.

15. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sep 22, 2010
    Um, no. Please re-read the exchange.

16. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Indeed. We can be.

I'd love to see an academic journal of Star Wars things. Plenty of us here, to say nothing of pop culture scholars, have great ideas and opinions, and there are plenty of reasonably academic essays out there on Star Wars- "Jacen Solo and the Two Vergeres," among others. SW has a lot for academia- cultural studies in general, philosophy, all sorts of things. Considering that there are academics out there who do make fandom and cultural studies their thing, we definitely have enough material for a SW scholarly journal.

17. DarthIktomi

DarthIktomi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 11, 2009
    Part of me says "No way in hell." But part of me also says "It fits right in with philosophy, communications, and liberal arts."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.