main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ITT I diagnose you with Adult ADHD and Prescribe Meds

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 21, 2011.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not qualified to assess it either, and as far as therapy, I can't think of too many ways it could be harmful to seek therapy when there is no mental illness.

My issue is when the spectrum for what constitutes mental illness widens, and the majority of new diagnoses are treated with medication. Part of that is my own cynicism about the pharmaceutical industry, but I do think these medications can be overprescribed.

As far as dieting being "self-induced mental illness"--really? What about people who just want to lose some weight and aren't going overboard with it?

That being said, I have at least one friend who needed antidepressants after losing her mother; she took it that hard and temporarily needed the medicine to function. So in some ways I can understand the expansion of the diagnosis criteria.

2. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    My article is going to be published. [face_dancing] Final revisions are due next month.