main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT I quit smoking.

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, I think he intends to use IE to check the link... which would enable him to stay logged in here with the browser he's currently using.

Anyway... good luck. It's really difficult to stop, but by starting this thread you opened yourself up for support and accountability, both of which are important when doing something like this. Tom used his thread to vent when he was having nic fits, etc... feel free to do that here, of course. We enjoy it when somebody unleashes fits of rage... it's a bonding experience. :p

SuperWatto likes this.
  2. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    The only thing you need to quit is an iron will. You have to really commit to the idea of quitting and then mentally toughen up. Once you have made that iron will commitment then you can look at things to help you along the way. Personally, I did patches for a week and then got a huge tub of lolipops (chubba chups). As a pack a day smoker for 10 years, I knew that once I had gone an entire fortnight without smoking, I was cured. I gave up in 1997, I still cravings now and then. Remember, there is no luck involved - IRON WILL!

tom and SuperWatto like this.
  3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Patches it is. I'll get them tomorrow morning.

Thanks folks, and I'll definitely post my frustrations here for all to enjoy!

4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Hey man, good luck. I smoke like 8 or 9 times a month, so I've never felt the need to quit. But I hear its really hard. I respect the fact that you're seriously pursuing it and thinking reasonably about it.

Good job taking step 1!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SuperWatto likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Good luck Watto. Believe me your lungs will thank you.

SuperWatto likes this.
  6. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I agree that there is no one way to quit. I smoked for just over 17 yrs at about a half-pack to a pack a day. I successfully quit for 3 months at time on two separate occasions during that period. The first was cold turkey and the second was with patches. I tried cold turkey a couple other times in there. I even considered hypnosis at one point. But looking back at that period, I wasn't quitting because I really wanted to. I was doing it for other people. Finally, when I decided it was time to quit, it was to get rid of the health issues, the bad breath, the smell clothes, etc. Unlike a lot of people who smoke, the issue of being addicted to nicotine just didn't matter to me. In point of fact, I enjoy nicotine. I love the feel of smoking. I just hated all the other stuff. So e-cigarettes were perfect for me. Pretty much all the benefits (from my perspective) with none of the costs.

Now there are those who would argue that it's not really quitting. I find that a fallacious claim as I haven't put a cigarette or cigar in my mouth since Nov 8th of 2010. I missed it for the first few months, but now I can hang out with smokers and not worry about falling off the wagon. In the beginning, I vaped a lot. Today, I need it less. I've gone through a separation and am in the middle of a divorce in this period. I've had to move and transfer to a high-stress job. But not once did I consider going out to buy a pack of smokes. Take that for what you will.

On the subject of the cost, the starter kit is expensive--on the order of $70-$100 depending on the brand. Replacement cartridges are relatively inexpensive--about $10 per carton equivalent. There are lots of relatively inexpensive brands out there, too (I use BluCigs) so cost can be managed. Certainly still cheaper than cigarettes in the long run.

Regardless of what method you use, it's a tough road to hoe. I wish you luck. And I 100% agree with tom. Spend less time thinking about how you're struggling (including if you break down and smoke) and more on how successful you've been to date. You've decided to quit. That's a success in and of itself. So build on your successes from here on out and stay positive. Good luck! We're all rooting for you.

SuperWatto and tom like this.
  7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Another note on e-cigarettes - I believe they make disposable ones. You could try those to see what you think before spending a lot of money on a starter pack. Check at the drugstore when you go.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    If you go that route, make sure you choose a brand that recycles. From what I've heard, certain brands will send you free products for every ten (or something) used e-cigs you send them to recycle. [​IMG]

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Congrats on making the effort, Wats. I've known dozens of people who've successfully quit. It can be done. One of the things I highly recommend is getting pregnant. If that doesn't work, patching sounds like a great idea.

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Are you volunteering to do the deed?

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  11. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    [​IMG]

The Monumental Last Cigarette, complete with Monumental Last Marlboro Man Chin.

12. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Start by fumigating your apartment and washing all your clothes like 3 times.

SuperWatto likes this.
  13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    you got this, superwatto.

harpuah, Souderwan and SuperWatto like this.
  14. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    When you feel like bitching, we're here for you. I'm with tom on this. You got this.

Juliet316 and SuperWatto like this.
  15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks guys. You're already a big help!

Souderwan likes this.
  16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I quit nearly 10 years ago. I've never regretted it, and have never relapsed. You can do it!

SuperWatto and Souderwan like this.
  17. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i thought you had to smoke to be a legitimate spaniard david

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Echoing everybody else. You can do this.

SuperWatto likes this.
  19. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    No. You're confused. You have to hate American wines to be European.

20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I have family who smoked and the only times they quit and stayed quit was when they went cold turkey.

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The family that smokes together chokes together. When I was little my dad actually smoked a pipe. Later he switched to cigarettes but until the day I die (which consequently may not be that far away) I'll remember sitting on his lap and inhaling that wonderful secondhand pipe tobacco.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  22. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    My parents smoked, but I don't. My mom would quit when she found out she was pregnant, but back then, it would already be close to the second month.

Good luck, SuperWatto!! You can do this!!!

SuperWatto likes this.
  23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Well, I got the patches, but I haven't put any on yet. I first want to see if I can make it cold turkey.
    So far, I have been able to - but not without eating my ass off.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    but this is good. You can start exercising more to compensate for the eating. And before long you won't want to smoke because it will interfere with your fitness routine. You end up celebrating quitting smoking by running a marathon. I've seen it happen.

SuperWatto likes this.
  25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    That's so not my style. Granted, I don't know what my style is now.