main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT I quit smoking.

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Feb 3, 2013.

1. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Wait, that is my childhood memory. Pipe tobacco smoke is quite wonderful. My dad smoked 'Borkum Riff'.

SuperWatto - ignore the instructions on where to place the patch. Arm be damned. I stuck mine right over my heart and rubbed on it continuously for 5 days.

Jabbadabbado and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  2. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    I always have much respect for people who quit smoking cold turkey..

it takes a lot of guts and a strong backbone.

if you could quit cigarettes you can do almost anything, considering that craving is extremely strong, plus its like this learned behavior, especially for people who smoke in the car....

I like a smoke when I drink from time to time but that's most likely a silly thing to even partake in.

3. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I have heard from some people in the medical field that quitting smoking is harder than giving up heroin.

4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Well, so much for the cold turkey. I just stuck on my first patch. On my arm, Hoth, because - not knowing if you were joking or not - this stuff is not worth a heart attack :p.
    What's nice is that this is really the first time it's acceptable for me to be grumpy. I plan to make good use of it. I guess everyone here should consider themselves lucky that I'm doing this while I don't have banning capabilities yet... [face_skull]

The one remark that's most helped me going until now, interestingly enough, comes from harpuah in tom's thread: "The cigarette is trying to make you its bitch again. But you are not its bitch."

RC-1991 and LostOnHoth like this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You need some caffeinated soap.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    In all seriousness, it's true... it's a matter of regaining your control over yourself and not allowing the cigarette to control you.. easier said than done, I ****ing know. I don't know how many times I tried to stop smoking before I succeeded at it. It's amazing how a plant wrapped up in some paper has such control over us.

woops... meant to edit that in.

7. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I don't get how caffeinated soap can help...

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I was referencing Tom's thread... it was a thing.

solojones likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Add me to the list that had parents who smoked. Both of mine did - cigarettes only, no cigars, pipes, etc. I maybe smoked around 5 cigs in my teens before deciding it wasn't for me. Haven't had any since. Middle sister smoked but I don't think my youngest one does. Dad died some years ago from throat cancer (he was 80) and Mom passed away a few years ago in the recovery room from a heart attack following a skin cancer biopsy. I'm sure Dad's death was smoking-related but I think Mom's was more the stress of the operation.

10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Woah. That's heavy stuff, man. I'm sorry to hear it.

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Good for you!

After a while, you'll be amazed at what smokers smell like. I think for me that was the defining moment when I knew I wouldn't ever light another one. I had kept telling myself I didn't smell like that. That I smoked outside which meant the stink couldn't permeate my clothes and hair. Wrong!

SuperWatto and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  12. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    My Dad's sister is a pretty heavy smoker. I've noted an interesting thing: When I visit her occasionally, staying for an hour or two, I don't smell the cigarette smell in her flat, but after I go back home, and I sniff at my clothes, I find that they soaked in some of the stink. Weird.

My Dad also used to smoke a lot when I was a kid. I absolutely HATED it and I waged a personal war against his smoking - I would hide his cigarettes, up to a point when I took a newly-bought packet of cigarettes when he wasn't at home, dunked it in water and threw it in the bin. :p He was pretty angry with me when he got back. :p I refused to admit I did anything wrong, though. He later stopped smoking when he started having a problem with a stomach ulcer. He's now gone about 10 years without smoking, which is great.

As for myself, I never had a cigarette or a cigar in my mouth in my life. I think it's because I hated my Dad's smoking when I was a kid. Even when my classmates at school were trying to convince me to try it, I refused. I do occasionally enjoy a sheesha (very occasionally - like once in 2-3 months), because it doesn't have the stink and the fruity tobaccos smell pretty good. Cherry tobacco FTW.

13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Nice choice of words... brings me back.

In the nineties, I used to make my own songs. One of them was 'Light Anutha One'. Some lyrics:

"Wake up every day / smelling the ashtray / and I light anutha one."
    "Fashion is to quit it / but no-one can prohibit / that I light anutha one."

Pretty happy I put that behind me. 24 hours without smokes now!

14. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Every day is a victory. One of the things that might be helpful is reading up a bit on decision fatigue. Exercising willpower constantly during the day depletes the brain's ability to make conscious high-level decisions of any kind. So you can find tips online for defeating decision fatigue.

There you have it. Try not to make any other decisions during the day so as to conserve your biochemical capacity for making the decision not to smoke.

15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    You do realize you are confronting me with the decision whether or not to read that whole slab?

But you're right. It's precisely the reason why I asked my business partner and my girlfriend not to bother me with quotes and bills this week.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    good thinking. Also sharing the experience on the board, your biz partner and gf helps offload some of the willpower duties. You're doing everything right!

SuperWatto likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You seem to doing great so far! We're all here for you.

SuperWatto likes this.
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    haha, yes. i normally jokingly tease people a lot anyway, but i took it to extremes when i quit. unfortunately it starts to become less acceptable after a month or so. :(

SuperWatto likes this.
  19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Strangely enough though, I'm not grumpy... those patches are pure magic.
    I wonder if there's a precedent of people being addicted to patches?

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That's great, harps.

And congrats on the 24 hour mark, dude! =D=

SuperWatto likes this.
  21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    As I mentioned I was on the patch for a week. This was in the hospital. Once out, I had very little in cravings. It hit me every so often, I do miss post meal smokes. But motivation for health and possible relapse kept me going, not to mention money saved.

22. Space_Caboose

Space_Caboose Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2009
    why'd you even start

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I had fun teasing smokers, calling them weak-willed, inferior beings, and so on. The brutal smugness helped a lot. :)

SuperWatto likes this.
  24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Because of the high.

Over 48 hours now - and today I didn't patch!

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Good luck / congrats. :cool: